Thread: Fasting and GH
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
Hone Watson

Profile:
Michael, there is conflicting information and studies can be provided to support both forms of the argument. You can experiment for yourself like Robb has and its possible that they both might produce similar results as Robb suggests.

Art De Vany recommends eating well 1.5 hours after completing the work out and to avoid gainer and sports drinks like gatorade.

My basic understanding as to why he recommends against any form of carbs after the work out is this. Firstly a brief intense work out with specific characteristics is all that is required to release growth hormone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1 2137178&dopt=Abstract

Secondly, after intense exercise high concentrations of free fatty acids are released in the bloodstream to be used as fuel. When sugar is taken at this time the sugar is used instead of the free fatty acids leaving the blood with high concentrations of fatty acids where they can be oxidized to form streaks on the lining of blood vessels.

Which is bad.

An intense form of exercise according to Phil Campbell which has the following 4 characteristics combined will cause the maximum release of growth hormone.

1. Oxygen debt (Regulation of growth hormone during exercise by oxygen demand and availability, 1987, Vanhelder).

2. Muscle burn and lactic acid release

3. Increased body temperature (Role of body temperature
in exercise-induced growth hormone and prolactin release in non-trained and physically fit subjects, 2000, Vigas)

4. The University of Virginia research team identified the “adrenal hormone release function” as possibly playing a central role in HGH release. The release of epinephrine (adrenaline) that boosts the body in stressful situations and norepinephrine, which maintains normal blood circulation, both play vital roles in HGH release.

Therefore a warm up which raises the body temperature followed by a workout like "Grace" (and a whole host of other crossfit workouts) or the De Vany workout should bring all of the above factors in to play to cause a growth hormone response. And according to the study above even a 30 second maximal sprint would be sufficient. Notice that a 30 second maximum effort sprint after a warm up also meets all of the above 4 criterea.

Consider also that the oxygen debt component is not common in most body building work outs.

Dr Michael Colgan who trains a number of elite athletes maintains that you should never spike your insulin due to its propensity to cause pre diabetic effects, hence Robb getting chubby using the insulin spike method, and maybe one of the reasons why most body builders who follow the insulin spike philosophy have a fat gut for 90% of the year (access abdominal fat is a sign of insulin resistance). Check out what Dr Michael Colgan's says below and consider the implied consequences of each point.

It is not only diabetics who should strive to maintain blood sugar stability. This strategy applies to all of us if we want optimal health and also to athletes if they want optimal performance. The evidence shows that eating a low-glycemic diet:

1. Enables your body to gradually learn to produce energy more easily from it’s structure, and to be much less dependent on the food in your gut.

2. Minimizes the hypoglycemic effect of sudden intense exercise.

3. Increases the free fatty acids in the bloodstream, thereby enabling you to spare muscle glycogen during exercise and reduce bodyfat.

4. Reduces your appetite for quick sugars and carbohydrates that spike blood sugar, and start the pre-diabetic process.

5. Maintains insulin sensitivity and efficiency, thereby preventing diabetes.

6. Keeps blood sugar stable, including during exercise. Blood sugar stability is essential for growth of muscle and strength for the even flow of energy and the prevention of diabetes and CHAOS

The prescription of 2x per week, 3 days rest is an average and he specifies that sometimes he will work out up to 4 times per week and sometimes not work out at all. This is to minimize the opportunity of overtraining which would force the body into a catabolic state and to provide the element of randomness. Secondly muscles grow during rest. Maintaining and building lean mass is an important factor in his evolution fitness philosophy.

I remember in the movie Dances With Wolves they go on a buffalo hunt. Fresh at the scene of the successful hunt they cut out the buffalo heart and eat it raw - fat and protein. In the intense prehistoric struggles over the times we evolved I think that this would be a more accurate depiction of a post work out meal. Have you ever seen pictures in National Geographic etc of Inuit with blood all over their faces at the scene of a recently successful hunt?

My post workout meal today an hour after my work out was 100 grams of kangaroo steak cooked rare in a tablespoon of coconut oil (kangeroo meat is the tenderest red meat I've ever tried). My local market also has whole organic lamb hearts with are also great for a post work out meal. I'm not hardcore enough to eat it raw yet.

Art De Vany, Phil Campbell and Michael Colgan are all over 50, have body fat 8% or below and have muscular builds which means they could be on to something.