View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
Mike Burgener

Profile:
i took this post off go heavy regarding technique in the olympic lifts. the post is from a photographer bruce klemins who has seen the best of the best...i t hought this would be appropriate here for the xfitters wanting to learn the lifts. his comments:
I’ve taken hundreds (maybe thousands) of photo sequences over the years and I can tell you that of today’s Americans picking the best technician is easy: It’s Pete Kelley. Whenever I’m asked to provide a good sequence for some publication, I always end up using Pete. He does everything right, including the little things like pulling his body under the bar, not merely diving under. Vaughn has some small errors and does not show up as well in sequence photos. He tends to pull back a little bit and the bar doesn’t stay as close to his body as it should. This is not to say his technique is bad, but it's not as good as Pete's. I agree Shane has very good snatching and cleaning technique for a big man. Doreen Heldt has the best pulling technique of any women. Like Pete, she hits all the correct positions, which makes for a beautiful photo sequence.

But what is good technique? I can think of at least five factors. The obvious, of course, is hitting the correct positions. But other factors that have to be considered are explosiveness, quickness moving under the weight, flexibility, and precision. Can a slow, inflexible lifter have good technique, even if he/she hits all the correct positions?

Regarding precision, what that means is repeating the same technique over and over on every attempt, regardless of the weight. We’ve all seen lifters with good technique on a first attempt, and then it deteriorates as the weight gets heavier. Neil mentions Mike Karchut. I have sequences of Mike that show some minor technical errors. But he had all of the other factors, especially precision. Every lift was exactly the same. In fact, I used to say he “has perfected his errors.” If that sounds contradictory, it simply means he repeated the same small errors exactly the same, every time, thereby minimizing their effect.

The camera sees the things the human eye cannot. A fast, flexible, explosive lifter may look perfect in person, but when you analyze the photos, errors become evident. Rigert bent his arms too soon, but no one noticed because he did everything else right, and of course, he was RIGERT.