View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: I'm back to square one with my WODs thanks Wendler System and stupid me!!!!

I know this is an old post, but as an older guy, I have to disagree with some of the other posters. If your goal is to get stronger, focus on that. One or two cycles of 531 is not going to get you very far. Conditioning is much more easily attained than strength. Have you ever done a strength program before? What are your numbers now? If you are not very strong, I highly suggest doing only strength for a few months. At 58, you have a much more limited capacity to recover than a younger person. To really gain significant strength, you need to recover from your strength work. If you absolutely can't leave the conditioning alone, keep it very short, like 5 x 30 sec sprints on the Air-Dyne or Rower, with 5:1 rest/work ratio, done on off days preferably, or after your strength work. Doing WOD's of more than 5 minutes will blunt your strength gains. You will progress much faster using a program like Starting Strength than on 531. When/if you decide to restart the WOD's, you will quickly exceed where you left off with your increased strength, especially for any workout that involves handling significant weight. Make sure that you eat enough to fuel muscle gain, 0.5 to 1.0 gram of protein per lb of bwt per day. Forget a Zone diet. You need calories.