View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Doing Xfit and my own diet had been down to 155#. Think 165# is a healthier weight for me. Diet and exercise were lax for a while... now up to 175#. Had some friends give me a "short course" on the zone and decided to give it a try. We decided I should start out with a 16 block meal plan (3-4 block meals, and 2-2 block snacks). Didn't have any notes with me, but I went to the store today to get zone-able foods.

For dinner, I thought I would wing it and see how it goes. I didn't feel like waiting around 45 minutes to bake the chicken I had just bought, and I needed to cook some sausage that had already been in my fridge, so I decided to have that. If my calculations are correct, choosing to use that meat was my first mistake.

For every 2oz serving of sausage there are 17g of fat, and 9g of protein. Ouch. Ok, the package is 1.23lb and has seven links so...
1.23# x 16g/# = 19.68 oz
19.68 oz / 7 links = 2.81 oz/link = roughly 1.4 servings
17g fat/serving x 1.4 servings / 1.5 g fat/fat block = 16 blocks fat
9g protein/serving x 1.4 servings / 7 g protein/block = 1.8 blocks protein

OK, I am supposed to be eating a four block meal. So I have half my protein and way too much fat. I hadn't calculated the fat part yet, so I turned to the carbs.
1 plum = 1 block
1 cup grapes = 2 blocks
1 slice of bread for sausage wrap = 1 block

Totals so far:
2 blocks protein, 4 blocks carbs, 16 blocks fat

Tried to justify things... zone assumes that every block of protein has a block of fat built in. Let's try to correct for that. 16-2 = 14 blocks fat. Totals now 2/4/14. Ok, forget the fat, what can I do to correct the protein. I bought the Mootopia milk, but that still has a lot of carbs. Looking around and see a can of tuna... read the stats ... 13g of protein and .5 g fat. Ignore the fat, that is basically my other two blocks of protein. Great. Eat the can of tuna. Totals not 4/4/14. Writing everything down to double check my numbers, realize that the can of tuna is 6oz, and the serving size is 2oz. So that was 5.5 blocks of protein, and 1 block of fat. Subtract out the other two "hidden" fat blocks from my supposedly four block meal. Final total 7.5/4/13. At this point I wondered if I should eat more fruit to at least try and balance it out some, but I figured I had done enough damage for one night.

Anyone have any advice besides "don't do that again"? lol.

Also, I think my calculations are correct, but please let me know if anyone sees any errors.

Thanks in advance.