View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Balancing carbs, protein, fats at meals...why??

Brent, that was really a fascinating article. Thanks for posting the link.

What sticks with me is the expressed notion that humans do not require specific foods, we require specific nutrients, and those can be obtained from some pretty restricted sources, if the sources are right.

Now I've learned of three so-called 'paradoxes' to the American medical community's emphasis on lowfat diets: the French paradox (they eat fattened goose liver!), the Mediterranean paradox (they eat tons of olive oil!) and now the traditional Eskimo diet (they eat a lot of animal fat!).

I'm forming some conclusions for myself, based on a keen interest both in nutrition and food cultures:

1. Fat is not the enemy of good health. The #1 food enemy is industrialized food production of both vegetable and animal products. To wit: grain-fed meats and poultry, and farm-raised fish. (I've learned from the book THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA that farm-raised salmon is genetically modified to eat corn.) In other words, it's not the fat of the wild game or grassfed beef that's harmful, it's the trans-fats, high-fructose corn syrup, multiple forms of sugars and chemicals in manufactured foods that impact negatively on our health.

2. People that eat traditional diets have better heath profiles than those eating on the industrialized food chain because those manufactured foods don't appear on traditional tables.

3. You really have to make an effort to find clean foods. It ain't easy, and it ain't cheap, either.

4. It's not just what we eat, it's how we eat. Part of the craziness of the American table is that the way most of us eat separates us from each other rather than knitting us together, individuals to families to communities and cultures. (In 9th grade health, the teacher asked my son's class, "How many of you eat dinner with your family by sitting down at the table 4 nights or more a week?" My son told me, "Me and two Italian kids raised our hands." It was funny but not funny.)

I love how much I'm learning hanging out on this board... Thank you.

Susie