View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #937
Brook Ferguson

Profile:
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I just wonder...and I know this was already answered...but im also looking for POVs.

I've never seen Rich Froning do much of a stuff described in either of "these" programs. I also never spotted a box in his gym where he could be doing box squats...lets assume he does not do it, what does this tell us? Once an athlete reach a certain point in his strenght, he no longer needs to be doing everything in this program and just does some maintenance stuff to keep his strenght up? I remember Rich saying he gained too much muscle and had to loose it because they were making him suck at some of the gymnastic WODs...

PS, Rick Scarpulla, I hope you dont mind me borrowing your awesome quote for my signature?
Rich squats, does bench, snatch, c&j, sled pull and push, accessory work and i would say just about everything listed in these program's. From doing a bit of reading about Rich's training and why he is set apart from everyone is the following: Volume and commitment coupled with genetic freak = super dude.

From my understanding it is debatable on the best way forward for say crossfit once you reach a certain strength level. ie - what kind of work do you need to do to keep it up and what your benefits are. maybe another good example to use the barbell shrugged guys were saying in their podcast that kendrick farris was training at like 300kg squats for reps!!!! and thats an oly squat!!! so will be interesting to see if that "squat strength" can win him some competition.

Although Rich is like the 0.01% of the crossfit population. For the rest of us 99.9% if we get strong as frik and push your potential, then it can only help us setup for whatever it is we want to do. Crossfit, oly, strongman - or just being awesome.

For maybe a different take check out this article: http://www.allthingsgym.com/markus-k...ter-strongman/ (wfs)