View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #933
Brook Ferguson

Profile:
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Croce View Post
Hi Brook -
Like Robert suggested, check out Golden Empires site and Paulo's page. That should give you a good starting point. If you have questions beyond that, Rick is usually pretty good about speaking to people on the phone. I see you're in Australia, so it might be a bit challenging (financially or scheduling-wise) to get him on the phone, but it's definitely worth it. If you want his number, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help out.
Lauren
Thanks Lauren. I might take you up on that in the future.

Well I finally read the last 99 pages or so and got some gems out of it. However the biggest one that I have been following Kane Greene's programming for about 2 months now - without knowing that he was heavily influenced by Rick. I did know however that his programming was "based" on Westside.

So I thought id post some numbers for you guys and a bit of history.

My old crossfit box we never did bench or box squats. I changed box's when i started to learn a lot more about programming (ie read louie's book) and a few others.

So anyway I fluffed around with a Oly program for awhile, which was great for Oly but not that good for crossfit I found, and then I found Kane's article on Tabata Time's and shot him a number of emails and started following http://www.movefastliftheavy.com/ (wfs) and now ive been on the program long enough to start testing old 1rm's.

High Hang Clean: 95 kilos - Old 1rm for a normal clean was 100!!!
Bench: Old 1rm for bench was 90 kilo's and last week I did 90 for 5rm!!!
On my old programming i struggled with a front squat of 110 kilos and last week I did 120 kilo's and probably could of done 125.
My jerk was 105 kilo's and this week I did 110 kilo's for 3rm!!! Funny story about this was I went for an 120 to see if i could do it and I just missed it.

I know those numbers arent big - but they are improving heaps - which im stoked with.

Havent tested anything else yet as it hasnt come up in the programming. Some more history about me is that I have had a bad lower back throughout my entire athletic career - as I get older (38) I find I need to be smarter about how I train. Hence trying to educate myself the best way possible with the goal of being the best version of myself. This is why the "westside" method has gotten me very interested. It seems as though it doesnt take as big toll on the body as say a high level oly program and there are more benefits not only for crossfit - but just to be more awesome at life in general.

This thread has been a great read. Keep it all coming along.

Cheers,

Brook