View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Alicia Michel

Profile:
Re: Protein/fat intake for a lower BF%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yordy View Post
The issues I'm having are with sleep and diet. I can only get about 4 hours of sleep on an exercise day and 6-7 hours on an off day. That added with 12-14 hours on the one day I don't work. It's not that I can't or won't sleep. I would sleep the hell out of some sleep if I was afforded the opportunity. The problem is that the job calls for 14-16 hour days, 6 days a week. For the longest time I was doing WODs each day until I either burnt out or a scheduled rest day came around. Now, along with monitoring intake, I'm going to stick to a one on one off schedule (I always noticed that my best workouts were after 10+ hours of sleep...weird).
Why is it weird?
Sleep is a crucial factor for most people when it comes to performance and fat loss. What do you do and how much physical activity do you get at work?

If I was in your position - and I know it's easier said than done - I would sleep as much as I can for the 6 days and not bother working out, and do some full body work on the 7th day. Full body work not being a marathon WOD, but maybe some sprints or sled dragging, heavy C&Js / snatches or pullups / dips, or instead just a long hilly hike or walk or swim.

A bunch of people including myself have experienced a significant change in appetite and body composition when we get enough sleep and rest, and stress levels are low. If you want to drop fat and weight I think it is worthwhile experimenting with prioritising sleep over working out for 2-3 months. I would also think that your body needs some rest from being burnt out from the WODs.