Thread: Ideas
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I have issues with the second pull. Coach B. did an excellent job of helping my understand the instantaneous nature of it. Still, absent video, it is really hard to coach, and really hard for me, lifting by myself, to know if I did it right. Since it's the most powerful movement in sports, it's important to do it right (hence 1-2-3/up-down).

That got me to thinking: if you're pulling up correctly--pulling your knees back, barbell over feet--then you get to that mid-thigh position, with your knees back, then you jump, which necessitates taking all that accumulated tension, jamming it back under the bar, coiled and ready, and then popping it up in a 1/16 of a second or something.

Key point: there is a difference between what I call a "dynamic deadlift"--which basically transitions from the 1st pull to the 3rd pull--and a properly executed lift, which has that split second rebend of the knees (also called the scoop and double knee bend).

Thought: it might be interesting, at least, to set up two short posts with a small metal or wood bar resting across them on adjustable pegs, and start with the barbell or PVC at mid-thigh position, then see if you knock the bar off the posts. If your knees truly rebend--go forward--then you should do it, likely hard. If the pull is done really, really well, that thing should go flying off there, if set right at knee height.

A related idea was some sort of feedback with respect to reaching full extension at the top of the second pull, with a full shrug, etc, prior to pulling yourself under. You could set up dual posts on both sides of the barbell, with something laying between them, so that if you travel high enough, you hit something. You could even make it something that moves slightly, then arrests your motion, so you can have the resistance to pull yourself under even on light weights.

That latter is important because I guess most of us start our drop before full extension. That's what Tony Budding was telling me. It makes sense. So much of both lifts, it seems to me, are pacing. Some part you need to not rush, some you can't dilly-dally.

Anyway, I thought those ideas might be helpful. If anybody tries them, let me know what you think. I think I should be able to set up that knee thing pretty easily.