View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Rose Ryon

Profile:
Re: crossfit and abdominoplasty

I have to disagree. Diastasis Recti can be much more than a cosmetic issue. I've been suffering with it for the past 5 years and most significantly this past year after the birth of my second child. I can fit my entire hand between my Recti muscles. My core strength is minimal. Don't get my wrong, I work hard and my abs are strong, but they are not where they are supposed to be. Since I have nothing there to support my core, my back has to compensate for my lack of core strength. So, despite excellent form, I have to avoid dead lifts with any significant weight, sit-ups and even KB swings or else I throw my back out. Also, I'm a professional singer for the US Army and it has had a major impact on my singing (breath support).

That being said (sorry about the rant, I get quite frustrated when people say DR is only a cosmetic problem), I'm scheduled for surgery next month and am nervous about the recovery time. I don't want to lose strength during a long recovery, but I also don't want to damage my repair by doing too much too soon. I know that this is an old post, but if anyone wants info on my recovery and how long it take to get back to CrossFit, please contact me. I'm documenting my journey of before and after surgery on a Diastasis Recti support page on facebook.