View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Re: Form Critique Squat/Press/Power Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
a few comments.

1) if you are going to spend all that money on getting those nice bumpers, spend the small amount extra and get some lifting shoes. They will help your form on squats and PC a lot and I think help with your back issues and butt wink quite a bit.

2) you are high bar squatting but you said you are doing SS. Is this intentional? Your high bar squats look decent, and with some lifting shoes I think will be fine if that is what you are going for. If you are meaning to do Rip's style low bar squat then you need to move that bar down ~3-4 inches and work on your hip drive

3) Press you are way hyper extending your back. You need to clamp down your abs big time. I have a feeling though that it is due to shoulder mobility problems. Really work your dislocates and other shoulder stretches cause that hyper extension could lead to problems down the road.

4) PC, again get lifting shoes. You are jumping your feet way to wide, and you are not receiving the bar on your shoulders. Get those elbows all the way around immediately, right now you are catching it in your hands, then transitioning to your shoulders. Stop this habit before it gets further ingrained
1) Haha, actually lifting shoes are next on my list. Like I stated I just bought the belt, so once I have some extra money I'm definitely looking into buying a pair of shoes. I had so many problems with econ bumpers from muscledriver that I decided to just spring for some decent ones from Rogue. Aren't lifting shoes mainly used for olympic lifts and front squats? I never really heard of anyone really back squatting with weight lifting shoes, though I could be wrong.

2) And yeah, I never really thought about it, I was going to probably switch to low bar squat if I started to stall with high bar. Maybe I'll make that transition sooner if it will help my form.

3) I didn't think I was really hyperextending my back too bad, maybe a little bit on my final reps, but I'll definitely look into tightening my core more to try to straighten. Breathing becomes tough when you're tightening with weight overhead.

4) Yeah as far as the power cleans, I think the problem with not receiving the bar on my shoulders has to do with the fact that the weight is too light. Normally with higher weight (Above 185 or so) my receiving position looks much better, just my feet land all over. I'm sure that once I fix my landing position and get back up to the weight I used to do that will look better.

Thanks for the input man,

Mike

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 10-30-2010 at 12:14 PM.