Thread: Sharknado
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #29
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Sharknado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I have had quite a bit of set back from going sumo to conventional, but I think the conventional is a better strength builder on paper. I am going to test it out. No matter what, I will pull more sumo than conv. but I am going to be working into Olympic lifting in the future and will be trying to arrange my business to that end. I am about 80lbs under my sumo for a double.

Additionally, I think you can deadlift more than once a week if you take a Bulgarian max as your guide to performance. I am no longer interested in grinding reps out. The Russian literature in me has brainwashed me and I refuse to push it to those levels anymore. Easy Strength and watching enough Klokov have me believing going as heavy as you can and still having solid speed are the way to go.
I will have to look up the Bulgarian max because I don't know anything about it.

I like the max efforts or reps of the 5/3/1 because I feel you gain strength hitting that level of effort at ''heavy'' weights. But I also and seeing that one set seems short for me. I mean hitting say 325lbs squat for a single ME and hit say 3 reps is some real work for me.

But once it is over I wonder if doing sets there would build more. Or maybe I am not pushing for enough reps but at the time it sure feels like it. I am giving it all I have right then at there, but always wonder if I could have hit another set after I recovered.

Still though once a week on deads just is not enough for me to do well on my 5/3/1 days. I am thinking of a lighter but heavy session then my 5/3/1 on Monday or tues day and hit it hard on thursday which is my dead lift day.