View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: Eating for strength Vs Eating for size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Ben,

In a very basic and general sense strength is due to the force production capacity of the contractile myofibrils and the nervous system.

So, to answer part of your question, you can get significantly stronger without adding lean muscle tissue if you train the neural component of strength. You don't need to be in a caloric surplus to do so.

Hypertrophy, does not necessarily require a caloric surplus, but it is very tricky to achieve in anyone but a rote beginner without it. The surplus need not be huge, and frankly, determining what is a surplus is difficult because knowing your true daily caloric expenditure is nigh impossible.

So, what I would recommend is you train specifically for hypertrophy without increasing your caloric intake at first. If you are not overtraining and growth does not occur, then bump your current daily intake by 300 cals and see what happens and so on.

Sorry Ben thought you were asking for yourself. My bad! Good to see another Aussie on board BTW.

Chris, sorry for going slightly off topic here, but I was wondering, you bring up overtraining a particular movement alot. Are you talking about no longer adapting to the imposed demand of lets say a LBBS from a physical point of view or are you talking about it from a Neurological standpoint?

I assume that a guy squatting 800+ pounds would probs overtrain his squat if he were to do lots of reps often, but how lightly is it that somebody who squats 400 and less would get overtrained from excessive squatting? I am wondering if the problem is far more previlant in the Powerlifting community as opposed to the Crossfit/ everybody else due to the massive weights you chuck about. Cheers