View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Jon Schell

Profile:
Re: Why so little progress?

A little late on this, but what Blair is saying is true. Wendler 5-3-1 or Westside Barbell are good programs to gain strength. Louie Simmons (founder of Westside) says that if you want to get stronger, you need to lift 90%+ of your 1RM during training. You dont train for the 40-yard dash by running a marathon. Low rep + high weight = strength. Dont take that as the gosspil, it's just me paraphrasing what I remember.

1) You can't make a race horse out of a work horse, and vice versa. That's not to say you can't make gains either direction, but you will see faster gains by focusing on one of them. Sometimes you have to temporarily sacrifice metabolic conditioning for strength.

2) What's your diet? I eat strict Paleo and have had incredible gains over the last 5-6 months. I've been getting PRs on something almost weekly.

3) 135 to 190 on the squat is huge. That's the same as me going from 225lbs to 305lbs on the squat. Think in terms of % gains.

4) Seven weeks is nothing. Hit it hard for six full months and revisit your progress.

Last edited by Jon Schell : 12-28-2011 at 11:07 AM.