View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
Dustin Twiggs

Profile:
Re: Quality of Movement - Where to draw the line?

What I found while coaching is that 99% of my athletes (both those who wanted to compete, and those who just wanted to be more fit humans, really appreciated every single coaching cue I'd give them. sometimes you see someone who is functional and seemingly happy with where they are so you may not feel inclined to take them to that next level, but what I found was that they counted on coaches to continually give them advice.

Maybe it was a 46yr old stay at home mom who was using crossfit as a way to become more fit for horseback riding (real life example). She never wanted to compete in crossfit, but she still had an inherent commitment to quality, herself.

She may have already had objectives 1 and 2 down just fine, but really wanted 3 as well. She may not vocalize it but she wanted the coaching, that's why she came to a gym with coaches. she wanted to improve and she wanted constant improvement.

I saw this over and over with many athletes from all walks of life. Those pursuing a career in crossfit as well as those who just wanted to be healthier. they all wanted to improve their skills and capacity.

I used to sort of survey my athletes while coaching them to get a vibe for the level of coaching they sought. if they were safe and functional, did they still want me to nit pick as little details to help give them that extra 1/2% improvement per week? well 9 times out of 10 the answer was yes. The only people who I have met who did not want continued coaching were those were already "knew it all".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
I think both of your higest priorities are to give these people a longer healthier life and the only way is to look at quality. It also means explaining to those you instruct what your qualities are and how you work. You need to explain to them that this is a long term thing and quality comes before quality. If you can't perform it to 100% you scale it, if you have mobility issues or other physical issue we will work with what we have but never jeperdize thier safety or the true form of any movement.
This was my first thought as well. I was thinking of all of those individuals who come into a box and learn the majority of their barbell movements for the first time, ever, in a crossfit box. Training them correct form is something they can take for the rest of their lives no matter where they go. Be it to another box on vacation, or a different gym entirely some day when life dictates they migrate on. Giving them the best possible training is giving them a gift for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sinagoga View Post
I can honestly say it has been a long, loooooong time since I heard someone say that CrossFit's quality standards are too strict. I like the perspective, it's usually the opposite.
Ditto