View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Quality of Movement - Where to draw the line?

I use competitors because they represent one end of the bell curve.

The other end might be represented by an unskilled unfit person.

My practical experience running a gym is non competitors don't train more than 5 1 hour classes a week, most only 3 or 4 hours a week.

At 3 to 5 hours a week everyone has lots of room for improvement even after 10 years.

My other experience is I started CrossFit at age 42, I'm now 49. Flaws in movement patterns are now presenting themselves as injuries.

I'm recovering from a small tear in a shoulder tendon as a result of poor scapular mobility during a lot of kipping pull-ups.

Prior to the injury most people would have said I had good shoulder mobility for a guy who is 49, 5'11", 205 and spends all day at a desk.

Remember I'm a L2 currently studying to take my L3 this Spring. Despite this I'm going back to square 1 to rebuild my shoulder movement and stability. I had to go to Power Monkey to find what I needed.

Being good at 20 is easy, being good at 50 is a whole different story. If we are really as good as we pretend to be then someone who starts with us at 20 needs to be functioning well at 50. How many coaches and gyms you think are good enough to accomplish this seeing someone 3 to 5 hours a week? I would argue few.

Of course here in lies the business opportunity.

If you haven't done so see if the administrators will allow you into our CrossFit Masters Facebook group. Avoiding, treating and recovering from injuries is a big subject all the time.

We don't think CrossFit is dangerous, most believe despite an injury we are better off then our peers as a result of our involvement in CrossFit.

Sort of rambling this morning. Only had 1 cup of coffee so far......