View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #37
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Top 10 Ways to Avoid Giving a Client Rhabdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Speaking to this from the perspective of the trainee, rather than the trainer, it seems to me that there's a fundamental divide between CF and the professional training community.

Are the fundamental movements of Crossfit part of the normal spectrum of human movement, or not?

If they are, then any reasonably healthy adult should be able to imitate those movements with moderate coaching -- such as might be provided by a trainer with a Level 1 cert and limited practical experience. They might need to build up their mobility over time, but should be able to find the correct balance and so forth more or less on their own.

If they are not, then much more intense coaching might be required, as is the case for other high-skill movements. Even a fundamentally healthy person might need to "work up to" a full squat a step at a time, correcting form and watching for imbalances every step of the way.

Regardless of the independent merits of these points of view, it seems obvious that the second will be more appealing to those who have spent years of their lives learning how to fix imbalances and correct people's movements.

But I'm not sure this medicalization of exercise is necessarily healthy for the people both groups are trying to serve. Make exercise the domain of experts and elite athletes, something that requires careful supervision, an enormous investment of time, and complex equipment, and people won't do it. Make it accessible, and you're much more likely to improve people's actual fitness.

Katherine
I agree and you made may of my points better than I did. The so called experts tend to over inflate their own importance when it comes to teaching and supervising human movement. This is understandable, given the time they invested to gain their "expertise". They get the idea that only someone with their education can properly teach a complicated movement.

However, the truth of the matter is that for the most part people can perform these movements with a little instruction, and the "muscle imbalances" that the experts think they are fixing do not matter or often do not even exist. If someone is doing a natural movement such as a squat where all the muscles in the legs are working together, any muscle imbalances will be corrected much faster and more accurately than if an expert tries to fix them with isolation exercises.