View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Re: Write this name on your hand

The people will only know if someone chooses to tell them. If they are told, great. If they are not told, I do not believe that this diminishes the impact.

Do they benefit? I benefited. Sometimes I knew and sometimes I didn't. Either way, I still benefited. That's all the proof I need. Some people pray, some do metta. I even had monks banging on gongs and chanting my name (apparently it's a hard one to chant). I didn't find out about that until well after the fact, and the monks made no effort to inform me that they were doing this for me. I didn't know any of them, but they found out about my situation through a friend of a friend....

Do I benefit from writing someone's name on my hand and sending out positive vibes to them? Yes, I do. You've heard the saying, "The more you give, the more you get." I don't chant. Writing names on my hand and doing the WOD is what I do. Sometimes you know when someone is praying/chanting/sweating for you, and sometimes you don't. Regardless, the impact is still there.

When I knew that people had my name written on their hands, it provided a huge morale boost. Even if I couldn't do a WOD because I was too sick, someone out there was doing one for me. But if I didn't know, the benefit was still there. If anyone chooses to think that the benefit only accrues when the beneficiary knows about it, I'm fine with that. I don't agree, but that's what makes the world go 'round.

By the way, I do hope that this will be a highly participatory thread. You can write these names on your hand too!

Shannon's on my hand and I'm off to do Michael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Chapman View Post
Robert,

This is interesting. I am a bit confused, though. I ask these questions so that I can better understand your situation and for what you are asking.

Do the people (whose names are written on your hand) know that their names are written on your hand? Do they benefit from this? Do you benefit from this, and if so what are the benefits? When your name was written on someone else's hand, did you know about it at the time? Would you like describe how this helped you?