View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 AM  
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Prodigious Prowler Progress
This post details the very substantial progress I have made in my metabolic conditioning in less than two months through high intensity prowler interval training. By examining some performance data from three workouts, the increases in training volume, load, and intensity are very clear. (The details of the workouts are appended below.)

The Baseline
Workout A was my second Prowler Sprint workout. I use it as a baseline for comparison. Note the heart rate training zone of 130 to 160 BPM. My sprints are dictated by heart rate. I sprint until I hit the upper target heart rate, and then recover until I hit the lower target heart rate, at which point I begin sprinting again. The load on my Ad-Hoc Prowler (WFS) was 155 pounds. I completed 7 sprints, going back and forth across the basement floor in 34 passes of 27 feet each. My recovery times were approximately 110 seconds, and for every 65 seconds of sprinting, I did 100 seconds of recovery which yields a Sprint:Recovery Ratio of 0.65. Recovery consists of walking until my heart rate drops back down. Total workout time was 19 minutes, 5 seconds; which includes the final recovery period after the last sprint.

Big Increase in Volume
In Workout B, which took place two weeks after Workout A, I made substantial increases in training volume. While the heart rate training zone remained the same, I increased the prowler load by 52 pounds, going from 155 to 207 pounds. Workout B consisted of 10 sprints for a total of 70 passes - more than double the number of passes in Workout A. Total workout time increased from just over 19 minutes to almost 37 minutes. My recovery times increased a bit with the longer workout, to 129 seconds. Interestingly, my Sprint:Recovery Ratio remained almost the same at 0.70. All in all, I substantially increased my workout volume during this time.

Big Increase in Intensity
Workout C, some four weeks after Workout B, demonstrates a large increase in workout intensity. Prowler load remained the same at 207 pounds. Likewise, the number of passes was almost the same - 68 passes versus 70 in Workout B. So the total amount of work done in Workouts B and C was almost identical. But Workout C was faster and more intense. First, I changed my target heart rate zone from 130-160 BPM to 139-165 BPM, which requires more intense effort with less rest. In Workout C I completed those 68 passes in only 7 sprints, not 10. Total recovery time was less than half what it was in Workout B - 9:41 versus 21:35. My average recovery time dropped from 129 seconds to 83 seconds. My Sprint:Recovery Ratio more than doubled from 0.70 up to 1.55. That means for every 155 seconds I was sprinting, I rested for just 100 seconds.

Much Improved Fitness
But one of the most interesting changes is found in the very first sprint of each workout. In Workout A, it took me about 10 passes to run my heart rate up to 160 BPM - about 130 seconds of sprinting. In Workout B, it took me 16 passes and 205 seconds of sprinting to hit 160 BPM. In Workout C, it took me 26 passes and 343 seconds of sprinting to hit 165 BPM. As my body has adapted to this exercise, it takes far more work - almost triple the volume - to get my heart rate up that first time. This represents a substantial improvement in work capacity and aerobic fitness.

To get a better idea of my increased fitness, compare Workout A with Workout C. At the time, each workout was really tough and I felt thoroughly wrung out afterwards. Indeed, after Workout A I felt nauseous for about half an hour and sat down with a trash at the ready just in case. But Workout C has more than twice the work volume, with around 25% shorter recovery periods but with the same number of sprints - 7. I am pushing more weight, to higher heart rates, for far more passes, with less recovery time. The Sprint:Recovery Ratio leaped from 0.65 to 1.55. In Workout C, I spent 15 minutes and 1 seconds doing sprints. In Workout A, the total workout including recovery time was just 19 minutes, 5 seconds.

High intensity interval training using prowler sprints has proven to be a very effective workout for rapidly improving my metabolic conditioning. I plan to continue my Ad-Hoc Prowler Sprint workouts, and will likely buy up a real prowler later this Summer for even more intense workouts.

Workout A - February 28, 2012 Ad-Hoc Prowler Sprints (Link to original workout post) - WFS
Heart Rate Zone: 130 to 160 BPM
Prowler Load: 155 Lbs
Sprints Completed: 7 Sprints
Passes Completed: 34 Passes (1 Pass equals 27 feet. Reverse, return, repeat to complete sprint.)
Total Sprinting Time: 7:32 (Estimated)
Total Recovery Time: 11:33 (Estimated)
Total Workout Time: 19:05
Sprint:Recovery Ratio: 0.65 (Estimated)
Average Recovery Time: 110 seconds (Estimated)

Workout B - March 12, 2012 Ad-Hoc Prowler Sprints (Link to original workout post) - WFS
Heart Rate Zone: 130 to 160 BPM
Prowler Load: 207 Lbs
Sprints Completed: 10 Sprints
Passes Completed: 70 Passes (1 Pass equals 27 feet. Reverse, return, repeat to complete sprint.)
Total Sprinting Time: 15:09
Total Recovery Time: 21:35
Total Workout Time: 36:44
Sprint:Recovery Ratio: 0.70
Average Recovery Time: 129 seconds

Workout C - April 19, 2012 Ad-Hoc Prowler Sprints (Link to original workout post) - WFS
Heart Rate Zone: 139 to 165+ BPM
Prowler Load: 207 Lbs
Sprints Completed: 7 Sprints
Passes Completed: 68 Passes (1 Pass equals 27 feet. Reverse, return, repeat to complete sprint.)
Total Sprinting Time: 15:01
Total Recovery Time: 9:41
Total Workout Time: 24:42
Sprint:Recovery Ratio: 1.55
Average Recovery Time: 83 seconds

Last edited by Luke Seubert : 04-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.