CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Johnny Mac's Log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35654)

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:17 PM

Johnny Mac's Log

This log will cover my two weeks at my local affiliate, CrossFit Alexandria, and then once I return to individual workouts at my local gym or, hopefully, my basement if I'm able to get my bar and bumper plates squared away.

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:20 PM

Re: Johnny Mac's Log

[B]04 August 2008
[/B]CrossFit Alexandria WOD

3 rounds for time of:[INDENT]25 Box Jumps
20 Push Press 65#
15 Burpees
10 Pull-ups

26:32
[/INDENT][SIZE=1]* Burpees include the "hand clap" to ensure full hip extension

[SIZE=2]This was a nice welcome back into the CF mix after spending most of the summer using only construction for conditioning. Big mistake![/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:26 PM

[B]05 August 2008
[/B]CrossFit Alexandria "Intensity WOD"

[I]Tabata Something Else
[/I][INDENT]Total Score: 256
[/INDENT]I will have to try and write down reps round by round for each exercise the next time I do this workout. I've considered adopting Gant's "Tabata Project" and completing tabatas each week. We'll have to see what I come up with.

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:29 PM

[B]06 August 2008

Push Jerk
5-5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1

5 - 95#
5 - 115
5 - 135
3 - 145
3 - 155
3 - Skipped to singles
1 - 175
1 - 175 Fail
1 - 175 Fail

I was able to get 175 up once but I definitely had to press the weight the last third of the way. I need to work on my drive to really get the weight up.

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:32 PM

[B]07 August 2008

[I]Badger[/I]
3 rounds for time of:[INDENT]800m Run
30 Squat Cleans 95#
30 Burpee Pull-ups

Time: 55:21
[/INDENT]I've never felt so awful doing a workout before. I really struggled but it felt great to get through the mental anguish that comes with really hating squat cleans. I think it helps too that doing a hero workout is always extra motivation. We performed the WOD with burpee pull-ups instead of kipping pull-ups, but I forgot to ask why.

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:33 PM

[B]08 August 2008
[/B]Rest Day

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:37 PM

[B]09 August 2008

Run 400m
21 Thrusters 95#
21 Pull-ups
21 KB Swings
Run 400m
15 Thrusters 95#
15 Pull-ups
15 KB Swings
Run 400m
9 Thrusters 95#
9 Pull-ups
9 KB Swings

Time: 28:41

Following the WOD, the coaches held a nutrition seminar to help everyone get on the Zone. I've actually started using the Zone and it'll be an adjustment for the next couple of weeks. In the long run it'll be worth it - in terms of performance and body composition. We also had our measurements taken so everyone can compete in a 12 week body composition contest.

[B]Body Composition
[/B]Weight: 167
Body Fat: 15%
Waist: 33 in

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:38 PM

[B]10 August 2008
[/B]Rest Day

It'll be likely that Sunday will always be a rest day. I'm not sure if I'll go with 3/1, 5/2 or some sort of other variation. I think we'll have to see how I recover.

John McBrien 08-11-2008 08:43 PM

[B]11 August 2008

[I]Diane[/I]
21-15-9 for time of:[INDENT]225# Deadlift
Handstand Push-ups

Time: 14:40
[/INDENT]If my feet hadn't fallen off the wall so many times, I would've beat this time by almost 6 minutes! I struggled way too much trying to finish the set of 15 because I wasn't straightening my legs. I don't think it should be an issue next time. Sean critiqued my deadlift form a bit; I need to get lower with my chest up so that I don't risk rounding my back. I was using too much of my lower back instead of utilizing my legs to really pull the weight.

John McBrien 08-12-2008 10:13 PM

[B]12 August 2008

OHS 3-3-3-1-1-1[INDENT]3 - 65
3 - 85
3 - 95
1 - 115
1 - 125
1 - 135 PR
1 - 155 Fail
[/INDENT]Run 1 mile[INDENT]7:14
[/INDENT]I think jumping from 135 to 155 was a little too much. I couldn't get the weight to full extension above my head so I couldn't even attempt to squat it. But the 135 was a PR! That mile hurt a lot more than it should have - I felt so slow. I need to get sub 7:00 to qualify for CF Alexandria's "Athlete" category.

John McBrien 08-13-2008 06:46 PM

[B]13 August 2008
[/B]CrossFit Alexandria Intensity WOD

[I]Eva
[/I]5 rounds for time of:[INDENT]800m Run
30 KBS 32 kg
30 Pull-ups

DNF
[/INDENT]I completed the first round minus about 20 of the 30 total KBS. After Monday's "Diane," I'm definitely paying for poor form on my deadlifts. I substituted 60 push-ups for the KBS in the second round and finished the second round of pull-ups. My back was so tight after my third 800 m that I just chose to stop. I finished with a lot of stretching and self-myofascial release with the foam roller. My lower back was obviously very tight and so was my left IT band. Some consistent foam rolling should really help with recovery. Hopefully at least some movement helped loosen it up, although it certainly didn't feel that way.

John McBrien 08-14-2008 11:06 PM

[B]14 August 2008
[/B]Rest Day

Light stretching to try and help loosen up my back but I think it'll be better after a few days. It's tight and stiff but the ROM seems to improve daily. I'll have to be more careful with "Diane" next time.

John McBrien 08-15-2008 09:57 AM

[B]15 August 2008
[/B]Rest Day

What on Earth did I do to my lower back? I think I may have pulled it or strained it during "Diane" on Monday. More stretching and rest is going to be needed. Disappointing because I was liking how I was recovering and perfoming! But that's ok, I'd rather fix it now and get back to doing the WOD then risk actually throwing out my back or something worse.

Sean Dunston 08-19-2008 09:48 AM

Finally found your log! You better be doing SOME kind of WODs while you are back @ Tech! I want to see frequent posts on this log, even if they all read like this:

12 Ounce Curls for time:

12 curled between 9:30 PM and 1:30 am -- passed out. Would have rather done Diane.

;)

See you when you get back up here.

Sean

John McBrien 08-20-2008 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=Sean Dunston;379238]Finally found your log! You better be doing SOME kind of WODs while you are back @ Tech! I want to see frequent posts on this log, even if they all read like this:

12 Ounce Curls for time:

12 curled between 9:30 PM and 1:30 am -- passed out. Would have rather done Diane.

;)

See you when you get back up here.

Sean[/QUOTE]

Honestly, that is what it is like at the on campus gym. It's a Globo Gym, except it's far too small to accommodate a campus of our size. Thankfully I work at a gym off campus that has a platform and bumpers. It has the same problem, but at least when I do some WODs everyone leaves me alone.

The hardest part will be sticking with the "Zone" with on campus dining halls. I'm going to update the log frequently, but I haven't worked out much since Diane. It really did a number on my back - I need to work on my deadlift technique big time so I actually USE my legs.

Sean Dunston 08-21-2008 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=John McBrien;380813]Honestly, that is what it is like at the on campus gym. It's a Globo Gym, except it's far too small to accommodate a campus of our size. Thankfully I work at a gym off campus that has a platform and bumpers. It has the same problem, but at least when I do some WODs everyone leaves me alone.

The hardest part will be sticking with the "Zone" with on campus dining halls. I'm going to update the log frequently, but I haven't worked out much since Diane. It really did a number on my back - I need to work on my deadlift technique big time so I actually USE my legs.[/QUOTE]

Cool, John.
Keep it up.

Have you watched the videos on the main page re. deadlifts?
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_RipDeadliftIntro.wmv[/url]
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_RipDeadliftSetup.wmv[/url]
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_DeadliftIntro.wmv[/url]
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_RipDLStartingAngles.wmv[/url]
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_RipDLAlignment1.wmv[/url]
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_RipDLAlignment2.wmv[/url]
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_RipDLAnatomy.wmv[/url]
[url]http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_DeadliftArmPosition.mov[/url]

John McBrien 08-21-2008 02:00 PM

[B]16 August 2008 - 21 August 2008
[/B]Rest Week

With traveling, I took the opportunity to stretch and rest to let my back heal. I think it's doing better. I played a game of flag football a couple of days ago and it didn't seem to be an issue. I think I'll just have to be careful with anything heavy for the time being. I should hopefully be resuming normal workouts this weekend. I hate time off! But I'd rather be healthy than hurt :shrug:.

John McBrien 08-26-2008 09:41 PM

[B]22 August 2008 - 26 August 2008
[/B]Rest

Beyond a pick up game of football for a few hours the other day, getting back into a "school" schedule has been a royal pain. Falling off the horse is a whole lot easier because my days aren't regimented. I'm working on that though because Rudy from CF Alexandria talked about "3 weeks" on his blog and I don't want to make "3 weeks" (or days) into "3 months" of "sucking less."

John McBrien 08-26-2008 09:48 PM

[B]27 August 2008
[/B]
AMRAP in 20 minutes of:

5 Burpees
10 Pushups
15 Lunges
20 Situps
25 Squats

6 rounds + 5, 10, 15

If I hadn't been interrupted during this workout I think I would have easily made 10 rounds. It was my own experiment on something like "Cindy". The lunges and squats made for a lot of muscle fatigue but I didn't gas. It didn't have the metabolic effect or the overall stress that I expected. The named WODs really are beautifully designed - it's hard to match their effect!

My schedule is almost solidified so I'll have an idea of when I can consistently workout :pepper:.

John McBrien 09-22-2008 02:16 PM

[B]21 September 2008[/B]

[I]Christine[/I]
3 Rounds for time of:[INDENT]500m Row
12 BW Deadlifts
21 Box Jumps
[/INDENT]This semester has been an absolute mess in terms of scheduling, course load, and work. I modified "Christine" with 135# deadlifts to work on technique and didn't do the workout for time. It is great to be at a point, finally, where I can start working out consistently again. It's my own darn fault :shrug:.

Sean Dunston 09-23-2008 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=John McBrien;406579][B]21 September 2008[/B]

[I]Christine[/I]
3 Rounds for time of:[INDENT]500m Row
12 BW Deadlifts
21 Box Jumps
[/INDENT]This semester has been an absolute mess in terms of scheduling, course load, and work. I modified "Christine" with 135# deadlifts to work on technique and didn't do the workout for time. It is great to be at a point, finally, where I can start working out consistently again. It's my own darn fault :shrug:.[/QUOTE]

I sure am hoping that the one month lapse between your posts to your blog just means that you did not have access to a computer for a month!

:cool:

Hope everything is going well for you down there. Glad to see you've found time to work out again.

Will you be coming back up here for Turkeyday or Winter Break? If so - stop back in to the Affiliate to say hi.

Sean

John McBrien 09-23-2008 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=Sean Dunston;407128]I sure am hoping that the one month lapse between your posts to your blog just means that you did not have access to a computer for a month!

:cool:

Hope everything is going well for you down there. Glad to see you've found time to work out again.

Will you be coming back up here for Turkeyday or Winter Break? If so - stop back in to the Affiliate to say hi.

Sean[/QUOTE]

Gah I wish! It has been a tougher adjustment than I expected from undergraduate to graduate but I'm making it a priority (which it should've always been). My plate is just too full!

I will definitely be back over both Thanksgiving and winter break - I plan on working out all the time during both too so you will be seeing me. Now hopefully when you do it will actually be in an "in shape" state so I don't hate life for the entire time I'm back hah.

John McBrien 09-28-2008 08:43 PM

[B]28 September 2008

[/B]2 rounds of:
95# Squat Cleans
Run 400m
-
95# OHS 2 x 3

Did a quick workout to take a break from studying. My IT band is bothering me from an easy 2 mile run I did at a charity event on Saturday afternoon. Hopefully some self-myofascial release will do the trick.

John McBrien 09-29-2008 09:30 PM

[B]29 September 2008

[/B]3 rounds of:
500m Row
15 Push Press 95#
-
500m Row

I hate working out in a Globo Gym. They have an olympic lifting platform and bumpers but I can't ever do the workouts I want because people get in my way. I think I'll have to start investing in a garage gym.

Sean Dunston 09-30-2008 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=John McBrien;412547][B]29 September 2008

[/B]3 rounds of:
500m Row
15 Push Press 95#
-
500m Row

I hate working out in a Globo Gym. They have an olympic lifting platform and bumpers but I can't ever do the workouts I want because people get in my way. I think I'll have to start investing in a garage gym.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, John... being forced to go the garage route.
especially since a decent bar and set of bumpers is a good chunk of change.

Best of luck!

Sean

John McBrien 09-30-2008 10:45 PM

[B]30 October 2008

[/B]ME Black Box

(TB) Deadlift

5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 175
5 x 185
5 x 195

I didn't have any problems pulling the weight. With 195 it was heavy enough that I really felt like I was using my lower back. I'm still unclear about my technique. I've been trying to get my hips back and my butt down lower so I don't straighten my legs too early and use all lower back. I don't think I'm engaging my hamstrings, glutes, or legs enough :cool:.

John McBrien 12-22-2008 10:00 PM

[B]22 December 2008[/B]
CF Alexandria WOD

5 rounds for time of:

10 Burpees
20 Box Jumps
30 BW Squats

17:41
-
Good grief! It has been a long time since I updated this log. Now that I'm back at CF Alexandria, hopefully I won't allow my record keeping to fall apart again. My first WOD back was a great one - especially in our AMAZING NEW box.

Sean Dunston 12-23-2008 08:35 AM

Great having you back, Johnny Mac!

You are going to love tonight's WOD:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 for time:
Deadlifts @ 225#
Push Press @ 135#

John McBrien 12-23-2008 08:59 PM

[B]23 December 2008[/B]
CF Alexandria WOD

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of:
225# DL
135# PP

For time.

Scaled:
135# DL
115# PP

20:48
-
Performing this WOD as Rx'd was tough. My DL form needs some serious work at a much lighter weight. As Sean and I learned tonight, I flatten out my back and lose the proper back angle because my butt rises too quickly. So I'm getting no hamstring activation and pulling mostly with my lower back - not good. After doing the first set of 10 at 225#, I scaled down to 135# and kept the Push Presses at 135# as well, but then switched after a few too many failed attempts. I need to work on strength!

Sean Dunston 12-24-2008 10:07 AM

John-
PM Sent!

John McBrien 12-24-2008 03:20 PM

[B]24 December 2008[/B]
Rest Day

Taking the day off today. DOMS from Monday's workout and yesterday's DLs have done a number for muscle soreness. It's interesting I've read a lot of threads on the board today about rhabdo; a lot of people seem concerned they have it or have had it. I'd like to think this is just DOMS, albeit a little more than usual. Although Sean did joke with me on Monday that he didn't want me to get rhabdo. I would say my current level of conditioning prevents me from pushing myself to that point. My back is very tight from yesterday's heavy DL/PP workout, but I plan on addressing that with a lot of form work after the holiday. Plenty of stretching and SMR are just what the doctor ordered.

Sean Dunston 12-26-2008 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=John McBrien;478728][B]24 December 2008[/B]
Rest Day

Taking the day off today. DOMS from Monday's workout and yesterday's DLs have done a number for muscle soreness. It's interesting I've read a lot of threads on the board today about rhabdo; a lot of people seem concerned they have it or have had it. I'd like to think this is just DOMS, albeit a little more than usual. Although Sean did joke with me on Monday that he didn't want me to get rhabdo. I would say my current level of conditioning prevents me from pushing myself to that point. My back is very tight from yesterday's heavy DL/PP workout, but I plan on addressing that with a lot of form work after the holiday. Plenty of stretching and SMR are just what the doctor ordered.[/QUOTE]

Dude-
I was so sore the past 2 days it wasn't even funny. Today, my legs are a littlebit better, but my back and shoulders are still sore from the DL/PP WOD.

Hope you feel better soon!

John McBrien 12-27-2008 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=Sean Dunston;479325]Dude-
I was so sore the past 2 days it wasn't even funny. Today, my legs are a littlebit better, but my back and shoulders are still sore from the DL/PP WOD.

Hope you feel better soon![/QUOTE]

My legs were seriously hating Monday night's workout with all the box jumps and squats. That was a killer. And I'm all recovered. My lower back is still tight, but it's a stiffness/flexibility issue more than anything else. Enjoy your New Year!

John McBrien 12-27-2008 03:37 PM

[B]25 December 2008 - 27 December 2008[/B]
Merry Christmas / Rest Days

After all these days off I'm feeling great and ready to get back to work!

John McBrien 12-30-2008 11:42 AM

[B]28 December 2008[/B]

Blah. Got caught up in family matters and didn't get to work out.

John McBrien 12-30-2008 11:44 AM

[B]29 December 2008[/B]

Today starts the "500 Miles for Hope" fundraiser that a friend and I will be doing. We'll be covering 500 miles over 10 weeks, with each of us running at least 250 miles. With that, I completed the first 5 miles, but my IT band randomly acted up and I had to walk a large portion of it :ranting2:. I'm glad that I'll be attending the CF Run/Endurance Cert so I can get my running form taken care of. Hopefully then no more injury.

John McBrien 01-04-2009 07:01 PM

[B]30-31 December 2008[/B]

To be on the safe side, I kept up with the fundraiser training by biking 5 miles both days.

John McBrien 01-04-2009 07:01 PM

[B]1-2 January 2009[/B]

Happy New Year!

On the road both days, Rest Days.

John McBrien 01-04-2009 07:02 PM

[B]3 January 2009[/B]

Biked 5 miles. ITB felt fine for first time since last Monday. Hopefully there will be no problems. I'll bike again tomorrow and attempt running again on Monday.

John McBrien 01-04-2009 08:25 PM

[B]4 January 2009[/B]

Biked 5 miles

3 rounds of:

25 Squats
25 Pushups
25 Flutter Kicks