CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Tom Gerhard 06-05-2009 02:42 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Hi all,

Just an update -- I've reached my target weight: a leaner and meaner 175 (down from a chunky and clunky 210). I'm now creeping up on 170 and maintaining 172-173 pretty easily. :)

I've found a mix that works well for me: consistent IF and paleo (and killer WODs, of course). I do a 15-18 hour (sometime 20-hour) fast several times a week. When I break it, it is with a fairly paleo meal -- either a cup of plain yogurt with a blueberries and/or a chopped up apple or three eggs and 3-4 (or more!) slices of bacon. Lunch is almost always chicken or seafood over a bunch of greens. Dinner is meat and veggies, any and all.

Though I have cut cereals, rice, pasta, beans, and potatoes from my diet (I'm convinced these are the crack culprits), I have been experimenting with bread. I've been having a slice or two a few times a week for the past couple of weeks with no ill effects. This might be because I bake it myself -- nothing fancy: whole wheat flour, water, and yeast. Also, I try to have it early in the day, normally with my post-workout meal.

Just putting this out there in case it may be of interest to anyone.

Arturo Garcia 06-06-2009 06:03 AM

Congratulations Tom. I've been doing a pretty good job myself, and for the past few weeks I have only "cheated" once a week, which is major for me. The best part of it, is that I didn't really feel the need to cheat, but events led me to do so. I could eat like this forever.

Randy Hill 07-06-2009 06:38 AM

2/3 of my meals down on day 1 of Paleo so far.. Stayin' strong! Sorry, just wanted to revive the thread for those going through the transition period. :highfive:

Samantha Aurelio 07-06-2009 09:46 AM

[url]http://www.byersgetsdiesel.com/2009/07/change-your-life-in-thirty-days.html[/url]

wfs

Alexander Schmellerhine 07-06-2009 10:40 AM

Randy, I'm with you. I'm glad I found this thread. I just got back from Fourth of July celebrations which involved home made Paella (for those of you who don't know: a Spanish arborio rice dish) and home made mango ice cream. I started my Paleo diet twelve days prior. After the third or fourth day into Paleo, my mental cloudiness subsided as I was better able to replace the sugars (I previously got through grains) with fruits and veggies. I discovered I had more energy, my muscles started to peek out beneath my skin, and my CF and taekwondo workouts were spot on.

The morning after the aforementioned meal of grains and dairy, I felt like garbage. My GI tract was all agitated and I was generally in a bad mood. It was a real eye-opener to the benefits of avoiding those types of food. Understandably, sometimes we all are gonna fall off the wagon, the important part is getting back on. Take care all, and best of health to you.

Randy Hill 07-06-2009 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=Samantha Aurelio;619347][url]http://www.byersgetsdiesel.com/2009/07/change-your-life-in-thirty-days.html[/url]

wfs[/QUOTE]

On the wagon.. I'm a few days behind though, it is day 2 for me right now.

Samantha Aurelio 07-06-2009 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=Randy Hill;619706]On the wagon.. I'm a few days behind though, it is day 2 for me right now.[/QUOTE]

:thumbs_up

this was day 1 for me. and it was easy as pie :) day 2 here I come :D

Randy Hill 07-06-2009 08:36 PM

You know, it's strange because I have tried paleo before and failed. However, during those times I didn't have such a brutal transition period as I am right now. I think it's because I had a buncha carbs the day before I started - way more than usual..

But it's day 2 now and I am feeling pretty damn good. I'm definitely in this for the long run. Thankfully I am not trying to lose weight so I don't have the added stress of calorie restriction.

One thing that really helps is making a chart with "day 1: meal 1, meal 2," etc. and marking if that meal was paleo or a cheat or if I skipped it. This was described in Berardi's "Tailor Made Nutrition". Putting an "X" in the box is very satisfying! I am also keeping a log on Fitday, just so I can see where my weight goes.

Amy Tompkins 07-07-2009 05:48 AM

Hey guys! Glad to see a few others on the Byers Paleo Challenge- I'm on day six! So far so good, mild cravings for bread/rolls/muffins/potatoes but nothing I can't handle.

Stuff that is keeping me sane:
- massive amounts of quacamole
- homemade beef jerky
- wrapping things in lettuce leaves
- drowning things in coconut milk curry sauce

Wanna share your fitday journal Randy? I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)

Randy Hill 07-07-2009 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=Amy Tompkins;619888]Hey guys! Glad to see a few others on the Byers Paleo Challenge- I'm on day six! So far so good, mild cravings for bread/rolls/muffins/potatoes but nothing I can't handle.

Stuff that is keeping me sane:
- massive amounts of quacamole
- homemade beef jerky
- wrapping things in lettuce leaves
- drowning things in coconut milk curry sauce

Wanna share your fitday journal Randy? I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)[/QUOTE]

My Fitday log is on my computer.. I have the PC based version. I don't use the web-based one because the internet over here in Afghanistan is slow as hell!

But I will start keeping a workout log here and post my daily calories/macronutrients.

What's yours look like? What are your goals?

Me, I am keeping sane with lots of nuts and beef jerky. Also I am eating a lot of fruit (mostly only apples) so I need to cut back on that. I eat around 4 of those a day, and usually have fruit PWO as well.