CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Melissa Urban 04-13-2009 04:37 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

[QUOTE=Rachel Canning;565150]I really have to eat squeaky clean the next few months after I have this stupid surgery so I don't a) gain weight, or b) lose muscle mass. Should fun....[/QUOTE]

Hi there, Rachel. And yes, you do. ;)

Jenn, I will hereby drop the french toast during our Sunday morning breakfasts. And I'll make more of those bacon wrapped stuffed dates, too. We'll get you straightened out.

These sugar-and-carb cravings are a nasty cycle. Eat carbs, crave more carbs, eat more carbs, crave more carbs... But the good news is that it works in the opposite direction too. The longer you can hold off, the easier it will be to ignore the cravings, and pretty soon, there's a good chance they'll disappear altogether. So if you can get through the first two weeks, I suspect you'll be in the home stretch. Just two weeks, people. You can do ANYTHING for two weeks... and then it will get MUCH easier.

Train hard and eat clean.

Lauren Hall 04-13-2009 04:39 PM

I've got some penance to do here. After being pretty awesome for a while, I went on a drinking binge (friends coming in from out of town, etc. etc.) for 5 days and ended last night eating half a plate of nachos. So, I'm making up for it by cutting out cheese and all carbs this week. Just had avocado deliciousness for dinner.

(By the way, my stomach made it very clear that this cannot happen again. ugh. I forgot what corn and crap does to the system.)

Erin Arno 04-13-2009 05:12 PM

Things have been going really well. Grains has disappeared completely from my diet for two weeks now. Sugar was still sneaking in condiments and whatnot but I have been more vigilant on watching for them.

The main course for Easter brunch was orange french toast, but I stuck to the ham, fruit salad, and coleslaw. Didn't even touch the bunny cake.

I was so happy with how well I did that I almost fell hard today! We had a PJ party today in class to celebrate state testing being over and students brought in cupcakes and doughnuts and left the extras in my room at the end of the day. In my room. All by myself. No witnesses. I was talking back and forth with myself, getting closer and closer to having just one donut. Thank goodness the janitor walked in and I practically threw the doughnuts at him. It's not even that I was craving them, they just looked good, and I knew they would be sweet and sticky and moist and ....*chases janitor down* ;)

Brian Solar 04-13-2009 05:26 PM

Haven't had any grains in over a week! Don't plan on eating them anytime soon either. It's been meat, fruit, nuts, vegetables, legumes, and diary for me.

Samantha Aurelio 04-13-2009 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Melissa Byers;565197]
Train hard and eat clean.[/QUOTE]

:thumbs_up

(wish i read this before i dominated 1/2 a bar of dark chocolate. hah.)

Rachel Canning 04-13-2009 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Melissa Byers;565197]Hi there, Rachel. And yes, you do. ;)

[/QUOTE]

Hi Melissa! So good of your to join.

I must tell everyone that my recent revelation in nutrition has come from Melissa - she is definitely someone in the CF community that I look up to and respect. She has given me wonderful advice, and of course, motivation. Thanks again!

Mat Frankel 04-14-2009 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=Samantha Aurelio;565222]:thumbs_up

(wish i read this before i dominated 1/2 a bar of dark chocolate. hah.)[/QUOTE]

Hey at least you dominated it and didn't just poke at it!

Ricky Hall 04-14-2009 07:52 PM

My second day and my only hiccup has been cofee w/sugar (2 cups) and a piece of cake at a dinner I had to go to with my wife tonight. Even with those misteps I feel I'm on the way to cutting all sugar from my diet. Almonds saved me from really poor choices more than once yesterday and today. I'm gonna try turkey for breakfast for the first tommorrow morning.

Laura Kurth 04-15-2009 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=Samantha Aurelio;565222]:thumbs_up

(wish i read this before i dominated 1/2 a bar of dark chocolate. hah.)[/QUOTE]

I eat quarter to half a bar of 88% chocolate most nights of the week, I don't even consider it a cheat or anything... just part of dinner, and life :D

Jennifer Woods 04-15-2009 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=Rachel Canning;565302]Hi Melissa! So good of your to join.

I must tell everyone that my recent revelation in nutrition has come from Melissa - she is definitely someone in the CF community that I look up to and respect. She has given me wonderful advice, and of course, motivation. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

Rachel, I agree with everything you've said about Melissa. I am so lucky to have not only as my BFF, but my trainer too! If I start to have a bad day (i.e. left over jelly beans) I shoot her an email and just like that-back on track. She really is a great role model. PLUS...she is willing to go with out french toast on "Syrup Sundays" to help me out. Now that is a true friend:)