CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Kristie Willhoit 04-09-2009 05:53 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

[QUOTE=Amber Mathwig;561290]Aw, thanks for all the birthday wishes, guys! I'm excited for my birthday, every year gets better. I enjoy aging. Especially now that I am aging so HEALTHY (for the most part anyways).

Something about traveling makes froo-froo coffees and fast food seem like a good idea, when they really aren't. I've been eating crappy for a few days, but trying to get back on track today. So far today I've had black or some milk coffees, almonds and I ordered my fast food with no buns or cheese (still got a bun, but I scrapped it right away and just ate the meat and veggies).

2 more days until I can get some REAL food in my body! :pepper:[/QUOTE]

Well, Happy Birthday, Amber! :D I also have a thing about eating crap when I'm traveling. For some reason I always have to have a bag of gummy bears, a bag of Munchos, and a disgustingly sweet gas station latte when I'm on a road trip. Or substitute a sleeve of 6 powdered donuts for the gummy bears. Or a Taco Bell Spicy Chicken CrunchWrap Supreme (probably more like AND a Taco Bell...). But...CrossFit/Zone has helped me change that! My last road trip I packed string cheese, tuna pouches, almonds, fruit, and bottled water. Woo hoo!

Kristie Willhoit 04-11-2009 10:24 AM

Ok, last night I dove into my Easter basket after eating an entire loaf of pumpernickel slathered in honey butter and this morning I feel like :censored:!!

If I could just remember this feeling whenever I want to eat bread/sugar I wouldn't have a problem abstaining!

Murray Birch 04-12-2009 08:42 AM

Want to find out if you're a carbohydrate addict? Take the [URL="http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/caquiz.html"]quiz[/URL] (safe) I did and scored an 8 (severe addiction.)

Jennifer Woods 04-12-2009 03:24 PM

Hi all! I'm back. I did the challenge for 30 days in January and posted the entire time. I had great success with the no sugar/no grains because I kept up on posting how I was doing. After the 30 day were done, I started slipping here and there and never checked up with everyone else on line. So...I'M BACK. I've been very, very bad:( I'm ready to clean up my bad habits again. So, starting tomorrow, I'm back on the wagon. Hopefully, I can check in everyday to let you know how it's going and see how everyone else is doing. Thanks for still being here and saving me from my nasty habit:)

Laura Kurth 04-13-2009 06:56 AM

[QUOTE=Murray Birch;564204]Want to find out if you're a carbohydrate addict? Take the [URL="http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/caquiz.html"]quiz[/URL] (safe) I did and scored an 8 (severe addiction.)[/QUOTE]

that is a dumb quiz. It's like one of those 'are you an alcoholic quiz' that says basically everybody is an alcoholic. Because you sometimes drink more than 2 drinks at a time, or you have on occasion drank alone.. etc.

yes, I get hungry before lunch sometimes.... uhhh often I am hungry all the time :rofl: and yes, sometimes after lunch I still feel unsatisfied.. thats where the bag of cashews and almonds in my drawer comes in.

Ricky Hall 04-13-2009 09:26 AM

I'd like to join thie thread if I may.

I've been trying to ditch the carbs/sugar for the past month or so after finding Mark Sisson's blog with some success. I seem to do well during the week but then lose my cool/discipline on the weekends. I'm hoping that the accountability of the thread will help with that. I have a weakness for sugar that is probably killing me, especially sugary drinks like sweet tea and coke and snacks while traveling for work. I am excited about what I've seen and how I've felt during the past few weeks and look forward to some big results as I completely cut out the junk. So, I start today at 214lbs. hoping to get down to around 180.

Murray Birch 04-13-2009 02:28 PM

[quote=Laura Kurth;564666]that is a dumb quiz. It's like one of those 'are you an alcoholic quiz' that says basically everybody is an alcoholic. Because you sometimes drink more than 2 drinks at a time, or you have on occasion drank alone.. etc.

yes, I get hungry before lunch sometimes.... uhhh often I am hungry all the time :rofl: and yes, sometimes after lunch I still feel unsatisfied.. thats where the bag of cashews and almonds in my drawer comes in.[/quote]

I answered the questions according to what I eat on my cheat days and came up with an 8. If I were to answer according to when I eat paleo/primal, it would be more normal. Certain foods (grains/sugars) trigger the carb addiction traits for me. My wife can have just 1 cookie after dinner whereas I would have 1, then just keep eating till I had crushed a dozen or so... then go see if we have any good ice cream in the freezer.

Tom Jones Jr 04-13-2009 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Murray Birch;565089]I answered the questions according to what I eat on my cheat days and came up with an 8. If I were to answer according to when I eat paleo/primal, it would be more normal. Certain foods (grains/sugars) trigger the carb addiction traits for me. My wife can have just 1 cookie after dinner whereas I would have 1, then just keep eating till I had crushed a dozen or so... then go see if we have any good ice cream in the freezer.[/QUOTE]

haha. This is what happens with me too. I simply cannot stop at one cookie. I cannot! I wonder what is behind that though. I suppose just....no discipline.

Murray Birch 04-13-2009 02:54 PM

[quote=Tom Jones Jr;565093]haha. This is what happens with me too. I simply cannot stop at one cookie. I cannot! I wonder what is behind that though. I suppose just....no discipline.[/quote]

I think it's partly discipline and partly the way my body reacts to certain foods. I think the dopamine receptors in my brain (the same ones that cocaine acts on) are especially susceptible to sweets. From [URL="http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com/cadfnd.html"]Carbohydrate addicts.com[/URL]:

[QUOTE][B][B]Car-bo-hy-drate Ad-dic-tion:[/B][/B]
[LIST][*][B]A compelling hunger, craving, or desire for carbohydrate-rich foods;
[I]an escalating, recurring need or drive for starches, snack foods, junk food, or sweets.[/I]
[/B][*][B]Carbohydrate-rich foods include, but are not limited to: breads, bagels, cakes, cereal, chocolate, cookies, crackers, danish, fruit and fruit juice, ice cream, potato chips, pasta, potatoes, pretzels, rice, pie, popcorn, and sugar-sweetened beverages.
[/B][*][B]In addition, carbohydrate act-alikes (sugar substitutes, alcoholic beverages, and monosodium glutamate) may trigger intense or recurring carbohydrate cravings and/or weight gain.[/B][/LIST][/QUOTE]
emphasis added.

Rachel Canning 04-13-2009 03:31 PM

Hola to everyone... So a few days of not so good eating (read: total carb addict on a binge), I am back on track today.

I find that like Murray and many others, once I start on the down hill, I can't make it stop until I go to sleep. I search for things, much like a drug addict, to put into my mouth to give me that high I am looking for. Of course, I feel completely hung over the next day - no joke.

I thought today would be rough going back to my Paleo, less than 150g carb/ 100g fat/ 120g pro. But so far it hasn't been. I usually get really *****y when I go on a bender and then start back with a drop it carbs. Surprisingly though, I feel good.

I really have to eat squeaky clean the next few months after I have this stupid surgery so I don't a) gain weight, or b) lose muscle mass. Should fun....