CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Motivating Members (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=87761)

Jonathan Palmer 09-19-2014 12:07 PM

Motivating Members

Hey everyone I am in my second month of running CrossFit Saved....

And about 1/2 my clients are just not showing up...

If they do its 1x/week.

I know if i want my gym to grow I have to offer an awesome service to them but how can I offer a service if they are never showing up?

I know they want results and I really want to help them reach their goals.

I have given accountability calls but not really dug in with them.

What have you guys done to motivate your members to come in and take advantage of their memberships?

Chris Jones 09-19-2014 10:12 PM

Re: Motivating Members

First you need to figure out WHY they arent coming. Are they busy with other things in life, unhappy with the coaching or equipment, frustrated with not seeing progress fast enough, injured/sore from pushing themselves too hard or using bad form? Once you get some answers from your clients you can move towards helping them and getting them back into the box and blasting out PRs.

Remember, CF isnt for everybody and some people will just decide that it isnt their thing or the timing isnt right. Also, people have to be self motivated to workout(at least to some degree), so if the want isnt there for them you just have to let them part ways.

Michael Stoll 09-23-2014 03:56 PM

I'd take a hard look at what kind of community you are building in your box. People do CrossFit for a variety of different reasons, but wanting to WOD with your friends is a big reason why they keep coming back to YOUR box.

Are you making sure everyone who DOES come to your classes is introduced to everyone else?

Are you giving them your clients time to chat with each other (we use a non-group warmup and cooldown for this)?

Are you asking them how their dog is doing? How the job is going? How their family is? If they're making progress?

Are you doing any social events?

How's your Facebook page / Instagram feed? Are you tagging your clients in your daily photos?

Giving folks a great workout isn't always enough.

David Osorio 09-25-2014 08:59 AM

Here's a valuable perspective. Everyone is MOTIVATED and RATIONAL.

It's not that they lack motivation, it's that they're motivated to not show up more or at all which they're rationalizing by virtue of what they're experiencing or not experiencing at the gym.

Figure out how you could be better by self evaluating and perhaps use some feedback forms to garner candid responses about how to offer a better product.

Here is an article I wrote about that

Using Feedback Forms at CrossFit Affiliates (WFS)

Steve Jaeger 10-05-2014 08:12 AM

Hey Jonathan,

It’s tough to make an assessment without being in one of your classes so I’m going to give you a 20,000 foot approach. Some may or may not apply but maybe some things to try.

Chris Jones could be on to something - it certainly could be muscle soreness keeping people away. Preach the fish oil and take time on mobility. Also let them know that consistent training always makes them feel better and reduce soreness.

What is your class programming like? I’ve seen many gyms successful with this flow:
Warm Up
Skill
Strength
Metcon
Cooldown

The ‘Skill’ time [~10 minutes] can be a great time to interact with your clients and give them that personal attention they want. Normally, during the metcon, your clients are so heavily engaged mentally into what they are doing, they aren’t as 'engageable' beyond a few cues. Skill time is important and keeps everyone learning. The great thing too is that during skill time you can work on different progressions of a movement with different members to make everyone feel that they are getting the most out of that time with you.

I'm sure you are doing this stuff but wanted to throw it out there just in case...

Look at your class schedule: **This could be your number one issue**
I see from your website [www.crossfitsaved.com [wfs]]] that you are only offering a 7AM morning class. That might not be giving folks the best chance of getting out in time to get to work. Consider moving the class time back 1/2 hour. Also: Are there showers in your gym? If not, that might be another reason folks are missing. We’ve seen a lot of gyms have two early morning classes 5:30AM and 6:30AM. Members can easily get out in time to get back home for a shower or they'll have time to clean up at your gym. Put a note out to your members to see if any of those times work better for them perhaps.

Website: Is that you on the home page? I did see two different photos but not sure if either is you. The one with the guy holding the dumbbell looks like a stock photo. I would get a photo of you up there and some pics of the gym and your members. The more ‘personal’ pics up on the site you can get the better.

Blog: Great to see you are blogging. Get those photos up on the blog thumbnails if possible.

Facebook Page: I didn’t see much activity on your page. If I missed it, apologies. If not, get busy!! One post a day takes about 60 seconds.

Your blog and Facebook page can be very closely aligned. I’m not a big fan of seeing gyms posting WODs on social media. It’s overdone and diluted. And you are giving away your services. Instead, post up photos and links to more engaging blogs. Nearly everyone is visual - what I mean by that is most are engage visually before anything else. You can write a marvelous blog post on pull-up technique but without a photo or two, many won’t give it a chance. Post some cool photos or a video. And instead of blogging on what the workout was, instead try blogging on nutrition, someone’s recent success, a member of the month, a new piece of equipment or a new movement you introduced.

I hope some of this helps. Again, tough to tell exactly what might be going on but class time might be holding them back.

Take care! And good luck!

Steven Thunander 10-06-2014 11:30 PM

1. It appears that you have times that are VERY inconvenient for most folks. 7am is too close to work time for most people, and 6pm is too late after work for many people with families. My suggestion is a 5:30 AM and 6:30 AM class, and a 4:30pm and 5:30pm class.

2. I see no onramp class, only a one hour appointment before dropping into the regular classes. This is not enough time to get a newbie up to speed. Another option until you are larger is 4-5 sessions individually or with a group of 2-3 people.

3. Images/pictures: You have none readily accessible. No pictures or videos of members doing WODS, no pictures of the facility, nothing. People want to see what they are getting, especially those who may be willing to switch from another box to yours.

4. The programming level is too difficult for most newbies. See point 2.

5. You have to set your programming and your box apart. You have over 30 boxes within 30 minutes driving distance of you. Research what they are doing, and set yourself apart. But also make sure you are delivering quality programming.

6. How are your facilities? Are they well kept? Is your bathroom/changing area well stocked and cleaned? Are they issues with HVAC? Do you have showers? Do you follow a cleaning and maintenance schedule? Cleanliness can make or break the deal, especially with new clients.

7. The above poster is right. Your social media presence is virtually nonexistent. Fix this ASAP. If you have to, use Web.com or another social media and web service to do this.

Tighe Crovetti 10-07-2014 07:46 AM

Your schedule is the main problem, no doubt. Other thoughts:

Your WOD posts look like you're paying by the letter. Write out the workouts. Give guidelines for scaling, something. It reads like a for sale snippet in the classifieds.

Do you know the title of your web page says, "Crossfit | Just another WordPress site"? You don't even have your full name on the contact page or the "about us" page. How about a bio? The first paragraph on your "about" page has: "We do not tolerate egos or bad attitudes." This is pretty standoffish...doesn't exactly invite people in, makes it sound like you're going to be judging them as soon as they come in for their "attitude."

This may be opening a huge can of worms....but does your box name have religious basis? If so, and that really is your ilk, is there a chance your box is giving off a "church" vibe? There is a movement toward non-religion in this country, not sure about CA specifically, but is there a chance people started up and found some "preachiness"? Not meant to insult, maybe this has no bearing whatsoever, but my first reaction to your box name was that it was a religious reference.

Agreed on the stock photos, it looks very cold. The one on the "getting started" tab still has the watermark. The pictures should be of you, your members, your facility, etc... Crossfit is all about the "rawness" of what we do: black mats, open space, barbells, wall rigs. Your pictures have an "LA Fitness," very finished, polished, etc..., vibe.

Definitely agree about the on-ramp/fundamentals issue. Do you do such classes? People should be able to read on your site about what their intro would entail, what it costs, how many classes, etc... All they see is "free intro call."

Jonathan Palmer 10-09-2014 03:37 PM

Hey thanks everyone for the comments...

I will try to get into everything you have said.

Just give me some time... Some i definitely think is spot on... and others i am already doing.

Be back to this soon.

Jonathan Palmer 10-09-2014 05:11 PM

Ganna go off what steven's points were since they have some overlap with others

1. Wanted to touch on the class times.

I opened up with times at 6am and 6pm. The 6pm was good and most came to that and nobody came to the 6am. So i asked the members i had if they would prefer a 7am over a 6am and it was a unanimous yes. So easy decision there.

I also didn't want to have too many class times because i wanted the members to still have a group atmosphere when they came in to workout.

No that i am up at 20 members I have started to add in more times 7am, 8am, 6pm, 7pm run about every day with slight tweaks here and there.

I will definitely add an early evening class but most now are asking for later so i have even implemented a 8pm 2 days a week which has already seen some improvements with attendance!

2. I do not do an onramp. I do an intro 1 on 1, and explain what the program has to offer and we do a short workout to see which level of programming they fit best into... Personal training could very well be one of those levels for the very de-conditioned.

As classes get bigger i will have classes specifically for beginners, intermediates, and advanced, along with all levels class.

3. Pictures and images you can find a ton of those on my facebook page. I need to get more up to date stuff on the website and i thank you guys for getting on me about that! I will have my own images up there in the next few days. This community is awesome and really supportive!

4. Programming is leveled so if you look on the website you have the general workout usually what it will be if you are advanced.

For example:

If the workout calls for snatches as strength portion beginner may be doing overhead squats or a pvc pipe depending on how long they have been with us.

5. Programming seems to be going great. The ones showing up consistently are getting great results and are not getting over worked or burnt out.

6. Facility is very clean. Floors are mopped 1-2x/day depending on the traffic that has come in. I got very lucky with the place i have because it was a gym prior so it has very nice women's and men's locker rooms. I keep those very clean and well stocked with everything they would need. Also have 2 showers which is a nice perk since i know most gyms may not have that.

7. Definitely need to get be more on top of my Blog on my page. I am running this alone right now, so most days i don't put up the blog til late. What i should be doing is writing it during the day so i can be more resourceful.

Thank you all for the comments it means a lot. I think times did play a pretty large roll in people making it. But i also need to be running a tight ship on the back end and there is some spots (especially on the website side) that need more tending to.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the responses!

Scott Simmonds 11-27-2014 08:08 AM

From the start of my CrossFit experience I have marveled at the opportunity for building awesome communities. I'm not a church-guy but the parallels in building a box and building a church are huge.

CrossFit is perfect for being a huge part of the right people's lives. Not many see being a member of a GloboGym as being a part of their personal identity.