CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Back Tightness during WODs (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88178)

Frank Pipitone 01-08-2015 08:49 AM

Back Tightness during WODs

So this is not necessarily an "injury" I've been dealing with or maybe I'm just not categorizing it as such. Over the past two months, I have been dealing with severe back "tightness" during certain Wod's. The two most recent which caused this to happen included deadlifts and kettle bell swings. It seems to occur more with low weight/high volume and moderate weight/moderate volume workouts.

The sensation is hard to describe but my lower back will get really tight to the point where I have to rest and or use a foam roller. The sensation will subside but once I resume the movement (deadlift, KB swing, etc.) it will come back. I would say this tightness sticks around for about 30 minutes post WOD and then will gradually subside.

It is sort of like a dull but intense ache. Almost like a muscle cramp but not as sharp or intense.

I don't want to cause an injury so I figured I would come here and see if anyone had some advice?

Joey Dussel 01-12-2015 10:35 AM

Re: Back Tightness during WODs

Mobilize your hips and your lats as much as you can. Don't do workouts that make it worse. If it flares up, stop and don't restart.

-Joey

Zach Long 01-12-2015 01:37 PM

deadlifts and KB swings frequently lead to heavy/frequent loading of the lumbar spine in mild amounts of flexion. I would say try doing several sets of "press ups" (Google it) and see if that relieves some of the tightness. If so, pay close attention to your low back during these exercises for subtle lumbar flexion. Maybe have someone check you out as you do a "hip hinge" (search for aaron swanson hip hinge for a good article on this) and see how your core/ lower body motor control is during the hip hinge which is the fundamental pattern used during swings, deadlifts, oly lifts

Aaron Gainer 01-12-2015 04:58 PM

Sit in a squat between rest sets, and mobilize those hamstrings and hip flexors pre and post workout.

Kevin Bean 01-12-2015 05:51 PM

I use to suffer from this frequently as well. Addressing my lordosis (couch stretch religiously) and thoracic mobility greatly reduced the tightness. I will still get it every now and then to some degree but I no longer have to run for the foam roller between sets.

Frank Pipitone 01-15-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Bean (Post 1247423)
I use to suffer from this frequently as well. Addressing my lordosis (couch stretch religiously) and thoracic mobility greatly reduced the tightness. I will still get it every now and then to some degree but I no longer have to run for the foam roller between sets.

Thank you for all of the suggestions guys.

After reading about lordosis and evaluating my posture, it seems like this could totally be an issue for me. I'm going to get back to the "couch stretch" and work on my hips more.

Phil Washlow 01-15-2015 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Pipitone (Post 1247551)
Thank you for all of the suggestions guys.

After reading about lordosis and evaluating my posture, it seems like this could totally be an issue for me. I'm going to get back to the "couch stretch" and work on my hips more.

If you have excessive lordosis, strengthening your hamstings will help as well. Think of releasing tension on the anterior side with the couch stretch and increasing tension on the posterior side with stronger hamstrings to help your pelvis level out and decrease your lordosis to a healthy range.

Frank Pipitone 01-15-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Washlow (Post 1247553)
If you have excessive lordosis, strengthening your hamstings will help as well. Think of releasing tension on the anterior side with the couch stretch and increasing tension on the posterior side with stronger hamstrings to help your pelvis level out and decrease your lordosis to a healthy range.

Thanks Phil. Question... My hamstrings are probably the least flexible muscle in my body. In fact, it's odd how flexible I am in certain areas (like squatting) but when I do hamstring related mobility work, I'm insanely stiff. When you say strengthen, are you referring to overall hamstring flexibility or actual strength?

Ari Sherwood 01-15-2015 12:26 PM

Check out this mobilitywod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INBY84sqrR0

Phil Washlow 01-15-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Pipitone (Post 1247569)
Thanks Phil. Question... My hamstrings are probably the least flexible muscle in my body. In fact, it's odd how flexible I am in certain areas (like squatting) but when I do hamstring related mobility work, I'm insanely stiff. When you say strengthen, are you referring to overall hamstring flexibility or actual strength?

Actual strength, if you are hyperlordotic and have tight hamstrings it is likely that they are tight due to being weak.