CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Equipping a New Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=59500)

Tommy Alfinito 07-09-2010 09:10 AM

Equipping a New Facility

Hey guys, I am still a good distance from seriously starting my own affilliate but it is hopefully in my near future once I graduate. I have begun to look for equipment and my original plan was to start buying stuff after I got my level 1. My plan was to mostly scour craigslist and Ebay to buy the equipment. Then I looked at the deals on Rogue Fitnesses website and the Alpha Crossfit package (http://www.roguefitness.com/store/alpha_cfpack.php wfs )seems like a very good deal with the largest package offering a rower and a slamball for a little less than 1200 more. I also looked at Again Faster's level 1 package (http://www.againfaster.com/step-1/ wfs). I was wondering what the general thought on the best way to build the base equipment would be. I am thinking it would be to buy 3-4 of the Alpha package and to find deals on things like the squat rack, c2 rowers, ghd. I also was curious if you called the company's and were looking to buy in bulk, if they would cut you any further deals. I used the search function but couldn't find any info on the best way to general start out, so I am wondeirng what the general plan for startups is. My first goal is to have enough equipment for 3 people to all be able to do the same workout at the same time. I feel like this amount of equipment allows me to train 6 people very comfortably.

I hope this isn't too vague and thanks in advance for any help.

Chris Bost 07-09-2010 09:42 AM

Re: Equipping a New Facility

I am in a similar situation. I have slowly been adding stuff from craigslist and other sources like that. I would also check out the kettlebell king and wright equipment. As far as large packages wright seems to have the best selection for the amount. I am sure each of them would give you a custom quote. I actually just got a package in today from the kettlebell king and everything seems in great condition and quick shipment. Good Luck!!!Check on the journal though and there are some good articles about things you need to start up and you can always add as you get more members and money which is my plan.

Tommy Alfinito 07-09-2010 11:04 AM

Thanks chris! I actually have Kettlebell Kings site saved as they are the best store price for kettlebells by far. I have only found cheaper sets on e-bay. I will look at their site too. Also I just realized the Rogue site has an affilliate package also, but it is similar to the Again Faster one, and I do not understand why these packages say they can train 5-10 athletes but feature one rower. Wouldn't at least 3 Rowers be necessary?

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 07-09-2010 11:11 AM

Tommy, if you're looking to buy equipment new, I wouldn't just limit yourself to Rogue and AgainFaster's pre-made equipment packages.

If there are things in those packages that you just dont want right away, talk to whichever company you want to go with and get a custom quote going. Both companies will give a decent discount when buying a large amount of equipment for an affiliate build-out. If I ever started a gym, there would be some stuff in those packages that I wouldn't care about in the beginning.

Chris Bost 07-09-2010 01:44 PM

What I have read about rowers is that if and when you need them you can stagger people into the workout. Also check out the journals again there is a price list per use and shows how ofter and the money value you usually use on the equipment....speaking of rowers check craigslist there is one in Nashville that they are only asking about 450 for. And all the reviews I have read say they are pretty indestructable!!!If I had some money extra I would of picked it up but I am focusing on stuff I will use more often right now.

Tommy Alfinito 07-09-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks a lot! I have learned a lot lately on the equipment and I think craiglist is the way to go for the rowers, and trying to set up a package may be the way to go with the bumpers, bar, dynamax balls, rings, climbing ropes and so forth. I know what you mean about the rowers on craiglists. Ive seen a c2 rower going for 150 :yikes: and another one going for 200 :eek: by me. I e-mailed both but never got a response, probably because they flew out the door. For anyone running a current affiliate, how many people did you originally plan to have enough equipment for? I have read that you need about 19 square meters per athlete, so I am trying to get an idea on everything.

Craig Takahiro Descoteaux 07-10-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy Alfinito (Post 809003)
Thanks a lot! I have learned a lot lately on the equipment and I think craiglist is the way to go for the rowers, and trying to set up a package may be the way to go with the bumpers, bar, dynamax balls, rings, climbing ropes and so forth. I know what you mean about the rowers on craiglists. Ive seen a c2 rower going for 150 :yikes: and another one going for 200 :eek: by me. I e-mailed both but never got a response, probably because they flew out the door. For anyone running a current affiliate, how many people did you originally plan to have enough equipment for? I have read that you need about 19 square meters per athlete, so I am trying to get an idea on everything.

think of it as the power of ten.you want at least 10 athletes per class. but you do not need 10 seperate items. many things can be doubled up upon. so maybe enough equipment to equip five athletes.
rowers are tricky but yu can always do staggered starts, ie row 1000 meters then complete...
as for racks you can get away with three.
i would go medium grade. and slowly build upon elite grade on equipment. do not go cheap. you will pay more sooner to replace the equipment.

anymore questions, just send me a pm, we have open ours doors 4 months ago and have 36+ athletes. i am the head strength coach and have two business partners and two interns.
good luck!

Matt Thacker 07-10-2010 10:01 AM

Check craigslist like a crackhead! Since starting Crossfit in 2006, I have bought at leaast 12 Rowers on CL ranging in price from $90 to $450. Many of these I later resold at a great profit to buy other items. CL rowers are rare and as soon as you see one you need to immediately CALL the seller if possible and offer them cash and meet them ASAP. Do not ask to 'look' at it offer to BUY it. When you get to the sellers location if the Rower is junk or it is overpriced you can say you changed your mind. You can also negotiate in person if the price is too high. Do not attempt to negotiate over email..the rower will be gone too quickly for that strategy.

C2 ROwers are pretty tough and the parts are easily obtainable and easy to replace yourself. Unless the chassis is junk you almost can't go wrong.

My two cents.

Brian Strump 07-10-2010 10:12 AM

We've been open since May 1, and are at 47 members in 1600sqft. We fit alot into a space that size, you can check out our pics on facebook or our website, crossfitsteelecreek.com(wfs) to get ideas.

We bought equipment through Muscle Drive, I would recommend them too. And like someone else said earlier, plan for equipment for 5 and grow from there. First thing we needed more of was barbells. We only have 3 rowers and stagger starts if we use them. Given our size of box, I don't even want more than 1 or 2 more until we expand.
If there was one piece of equipment most affiliates say you can do without, it would be the GHD's. At $500+ a piece, you can buy alot of other smaller much more useful equipment than those from day one.

Good luck.

Tamara Cohen 07-10-2010 12:08 PM

I would highly recommend contacting Jon Gilson at Again Faster directly for a custom quote. Also, you can get in touch with Jason at Wright Exercise.

For a while, my affiliate only had one rower and one GHD that we didn't use for WODs (too hard to rotate with the number of people training there). They picked up GHDs at Sectionals and rowers at Regionals. We now rotate for WODs with 4 rowers and 4 GHDs, and we usually have 10-12 people per class.