CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Please help me clean up my diet (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43340)

Harley Jennings 02-26-2009 10:19 AM

Re: Please help me clean up my diet

Jamie VS Jamie over egg supremacy! Seriously man, if you feel full and have the energy to kill a METCON or WOD at peak potential then you have a good diet. You can call it the Luke diet if you want. At the end of the day it is all about your body and what fits you. If you are worried about a few percentages of BF then cut out the bread/grains, say good bye to Mayo, and indulge in being as fit as you can be!

Laura Kurth 02-26-2009 10:25 AM

I too am not as anti-carb/grain as most here, but I agree you should eat more protein and fat, and less carbohydrate.

Cereal, 1% milk and a banana for breakfast is really setting yourself up badly for the day. So much carbohydrate with very little protein or fat, means you will of course get hungry quite soon.

Eggs/meat, fruit, etc. is good for brekki.

If you are having the wholemeal sandwich, fine, make it heavy on the meat and have a salad with it.

You don't have to immediately start avoiding bread and cereal like the plague - just be aware that those things are very carbohydrate dense and take this into account when planning your meal. If your goal is fat loss and staying satiated between meals, more meat & fat will help you with this, more vegetables, fruits and less bread etc.

Jamie Sanford 02-26-2009 10:45 AM

Jamie, if you can find the reference for Sear's claims on yolk to be unfounded i would like to read it. I only recently cut out eating yolks, so if his study proves to be false then i am back on the yolks!

I agree with the above post, if you are killing it eating whatever you feel like then continue to do so... the only reason i am being such a stickler (i.e. no yolks) I want to give the zone a 3-4 month trial to see if it really works.

...didn't mean to start a heated debate...

Luke Hale 02-27-2009 03:53 AM

Right, today I have/will be having:

7am: Cereal and banana with WHOLE milk

9am: 3 slices bacon, big scoop of scrambled eggs

10.30: mixed nuts, banana

Lunch: 1/4 baked chicken, big salad (lettuce, peppers, tomato, carrot, celery)

3.30: mixed nuts, banana

Dinner: (not sure yet!)

Steven Matheson 02-27-2009 10:16 AM

If I were asked to give advice on your diet, I'd tell you to eat 4 servings of veggies for every one serving of fruit.

I'd also tell you to have a complete protein at every meal.

Chris Walls 02-27-2009 10:31 AM

I don't think you need that first breakfast... do it right the first time and you won't need two breakfasts.

When having a meal/snack the primary concern is protein, then build some veg/fruit around that. Add fat as necessary to sustain energy levels.

Marcus Allen 02-27-2009 10:35 AM

Luke- PLEASE have more protein for breakfast. The insulin spike you are causing with fruit AND cereal is setting you up for hunger issues throughout the day, have some eggs, sausage, bacon, anything animal fleshy and you will probably notice immediate changes in how you feel.

Julie Parisien 03-01-2009 01:49 PM

Ditch the 2x banana too. Bananas are just big sugar sticks that are high glycemic, and again, as has been said, will set you up for being hungry and unsettled (insulin spikes do that to me). Have an apple instead or 2 cups of cooked broccoli - leftover broccoli heated up with a really nice olive oil is delicioso - and way better choice than banana.

Luke Hale 04-21-2009 05:58 AM

Bit of an update...

these days a typical day would be something like:

7am, 2 eggs on 2 wholewheat toast OR 3 eggs scrambled with cheese & ham

10.30am, 2oz Ham, 1 string cheese, banana

lunch, chicken (typically 3 legs on bone), lots of veg, apple

4pm, nuts (handful), apple, 1 pint whole milk

Dinner, 2 wraps with chicken or bacon and salad, extra meat and veg on side

since the start of the year I dropped about 12 pounds but am now seeing weight go up again, though I'm pretty sure its muscle

...but I would like to continue to lose more fat and get the last couple of inches off my waist

where do I go from here?

Joe Bernard 04-21-2009 09:20 AM

Ditch the grains (the toast and wraps) and don't eat so much fruit. Many people find that it is easier to lose BF% by cutting down on fruit consumption because essentially, it is sugar. Eat more vegetables and go with option #2 for breakfast.