CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Concurrent high rep and strength routine? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5034)

Phil Moncel 05-08-2005 01:41 AM

Hi there,
I know many CFitters are members of the military or competitors used to train for a specific goal so I am taking the liberty of picking your brains in hope you can give me some insights.

I am preparing for a certification over in Europe and to get a perfect score I have to complete:
- 60 consecutive dips (to 90)
- 40 consecutive pullups (chin to bar)
- 10 squats at bodyWeight*1.9
- 20 bench presses at bodyWeight*1.3

I weight 165lbs (75kg) so the squat would be around 313lbs (142.5kg) and the bench presses around 215lbs (97.5kg). Trouble is my max bench press is around 200lbs right now and my squat around 260lbs. Until recently for lack of equipment (I was CFing at home) I did not squat or BP so hopefully there is room for progress.

For the 60 dips and 40 pullups, I was thinking about following the recon pull-up plan (reps*1.5 for dips).

1) can I follow the high rep routine and the DP/squat routine at the same time
2) concerning the DP/Squat should I build my strength first and then add reps or kind of do both at the same time with a mix of reps?

I've got 10 months (March 2006)

Thanks much, any comments would be greatly apprecitated.

Phil

Ross Greenberg 05-09-2005 12:35 PM

Wow, those are very very high standards. You can make a whole lot of progress in ten months, but I'm not sure THAT much. Going from a max BP at 200 to 20 reps at 215 and taking your squat up to 315 X 10 without gaining weight would be a hell of a feat. The best routine I can think of that would increase your strength and muscular endurance at the same time is Bryce Lane's famous 50/20 routine: http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/it_all.htm
Basically you take a lift, like the squat and use a weight you can do 5-10 reps with. Now load the bar to that weight and complete as many reps as possible in 20 minutes. Obviously you will want to partition the reps so as not to burn out in the first five minutes. Once you can do 50 reps in 20 minutes at a weight you add on another 10 or 15 pounds and start again. This is very hard, but doesn't burn you out like those 20 rep squat programs can do. Good luck!

Stephen Troy 05-09-2005 12:36 PM

What cert has these standards?

Phil Moncel 05-10-2005 01:24 AM

Thank you Ross!

Stephen,
This is the French BEES (Brevet d' Etat d' Educateur Sportif) which is a first step towards becoming a coach/PT or sport scientist.

You also have to take an exam probably a lot similar to a CSCS exam.

As far as the physical tests there are three options:
- Olympic Weightlifting but a guy my size would have to combine snatch and C&P for total of 572lbs (260kg) to get 75% - way out of my league
- PowerLifting but a guy my size would have to combine the 3 lifts for 1,276lbs (580kg) - no can do
- and then there is 'regular' weightlifting described in my previous post.

So you see, I am taking the 'easy' road...

Pat Janes 05-10-2005 08:01 PM

Wow! A certification that actually requires you to walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

This board is full of *very* fit people, but I don't think there would be more than a handful that could pass that cert. Maybe... and couple of hands full.

And I'm not even half of one of them.

One thing for sure, it does not require you to be "Cross"-fit. It is very strength + strength/endurance focused, so doing things like running any further than 50m is wasting your time. It does, at least allow you to concentrate your training on some very specific, relatively narrow-focuses goals; provided you are willing to sacrifice other areas of fitness.

Pat Janes 05-10-2005 08:02 PM

I 2nd Ross' suggestion of Bryce Lane's 50/20 routine. A lot of people have progressed very well with his ideas.

Phil Moncel 05-11-2005 01:42 AM

It is really tough indeed. I am actually aiming at getting 75% but even 40 consecutive dips, 30 consecutive pull ups, 15 BP @215 and 7 squats @ 315 is pretty daunting to me.

Thanks for you help guys, I am going to try the 50/20 and see if I can make some headway :~)