CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 02-10-2009 04:16 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[I][B]TUESDAY 090210

Training Session.

Warm-up:
Shoulder dislocates/pass throughs X 15
Interval walk/jog-treadmill: approx .6 mile up to 5.3 MPH

Training:
Front Squat work with PVC
[/B]Concentrated on retaining lumbar curve, weight on heels, good rack position, and then powering (explosively) up from the bottom.

[B]WOD: 10 Rounds for time
5 FS X 30# bar (Dynamax depth)
transition to 10m walk with bar locked out overhead
Lunges X 30# for 10m (approx. 10 lunges)
15 Ab Mat sit-ups (anchored)
Time = 15:07.
[/B](Lunges were hard and I was afraid of pulling a hamstring again!).

[B]GTG Pull-ups:
WU: Lat pull-downs 100# X 5
3, 5, 5, 6, 4, 5, 3, 2, 7, 4, 4, 1, 1. = 50 [/B](Used OH and UH grips, wide grip on a couple, and kipped some). Last two were dead-hang. I realized today my globo's pull-up bars are just the right height that I have unknowingly taken just a bit of a "push-off" from the floor at the beginning of each set. Trying to hang and then start the set......[B]much more difficult. [/B]HHMMMM, a little more technique and strength training, anyone?

[B]Jump Rope Singles: 100 X 5. [/B]2 sets almost unbroken (one miss in the 90's). Other three, a few more misses.
[B]DU practice - about 20:00. "Chained" two together in a row!![/B]
[/I]

Lee Ann McCall 02-10-2009 07:54 PM

More inspirational work, Steve!!! The title of your log is inspiring me today, too.

Nancy Cohen 02-10-2009 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;515633]
[B]DU practice - about 20:00. "Chained" two together in a row!![/B]
[/I][/QUOTE]

Woohoo! I still have yet to do 2 in row!

Stephen R. Lampl 02-11-2009 04:47 PM

[quote=Lee Ann McCall;515815]More inspirational work, Steve!!! The title of your log is inspiring me today, too.[/quote]

Thank you, Lee Ann. Keep on with the great work yourself!

Stephen R. Lampl 02-11-2009 04:51 PM

[quote=Nancy Cohen;515821]Woohoo! I still have yet to do 2 in row![/quote]

I was totally shocked! Followed a friend's recommendation to slow down my jumps, don't bend my knees much, but push off hard with my toes, and then be quick with the wrists......

Fixing my broken rope (with the repair making it better than it was before) hasn't hurt either...

Charles Bennington 02-11-2009 07:38 PM

20:00 of DU practice...WTF?

I would die from blood loss from my feet and lower legs if I tried that!

Carter Jee 02-11-2009 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;515633]
[B]GTG Pull-ups:
WU: Lat pull-downs 100# X 5
3, 5, 5, 6, 4, 5, 3, 2, 7, 4, 4, 1, 1. = 50 [/B](Used OH and UH grips, wide grip on a couple, and kipped some). Last two were dead-hang. I realized today my globo's pull-up bars are just the right height that I have unknowingly taken just a bit of a "push-off" from the floor at the beginning of each set. Trying to hang and then start the set......[B]much more difficult. [/B]HHMMMM, a little more technique and strength training, anyone?
[/QUOTE]

good work...pretty consistent numbers till the last two sets... keep it up and we'll start to see sets of 10, then 15, then 20, then 25...

carter

Stephen R. Lampl 02-11-2009 09:14 PM

[quote=Charles Bennington;516655]20:00 of DU practice...WTF?

I would die from blood loss from my feet and lower legs if I tried that![/quote]

I wish I could say that it was all continuous work. I did stop for a few seconds every once in a while to catch my breath. Your method (J, J, DU) for attempts really seems to be paying off....

Stephen R. Lampl 02-11-2009 09:16 PM

[quote=Carter Jee;516727]good work...pretty consistent numbers till the last two sets... keep it up and we'll start to see sets of 10, then 15, then 20, then 25...

carter[/quote]

Thanks, Carter. Kinda in a rut right now. My kip is weak - - shoulder flexibility and proper timing / hip drive. Dead hangs are improving.....S L O W L Y.

Carter Jee 02-11-2009 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;516745]Thanks, Carter. Kinda in a rut right now. My kip is weak - - shoulder flexibility and proper timing / hip drive. Dead hangs are improving.....S L O W L Y.[/QUOTE]

hmmm... maybe what you could do is to move the pullups to your warmup instead of the end. that way you got plenty of energy and fresh...

i'm still working on my timing of the kip.... i got a decent swing, but everything else goes to pot.. =P

it's hard to work on my kip at the gym I am. There's only three places to do pullups - the gravitron, the dip station and the power cage. only the power cage is suitable (enough room) and that's always occupied by BB types...

I'll love to get something like the again faster pullup bar, but they don't ship international.... oh,well... need to put my aussie ingenuity to use...

keep working hard!!
carter