CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38880)

Chris Walls 11-17-2008 01:17 PM

Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

Because VO2 max isn't a measure of capacity, it's a measure of efficiency. A high VO2 max means you use a lot of oxygen when doing work. If you're more efficient and do the same work with less O2 then you score as unfit when really, you're more efficient, have a higher capacity for the work, and should be classified more fit. no?

I've never taken any university courses on arguing and all that, which is why I try not to get sucked into it with you guys. But I will take the word of people who are actually "in the trenches" doing the damn job over researchers who have never done it, telling them how it's done better.

Phillip Garrison 11-17-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Walls (Post 448639)
Because VO2 max isn't a measure of capacity, it's a measure of efficiency. A high VO2 max means you use a lot of oxygen when doing work. If you're more efficient and do the same work with less O2 then you score as unfit when really, you're more efficient, have a higher capacity for the work, and should be classified more fit. no?

How does doing more total work while expending less energy ever make you score as less fit? That's one of the classic definitions of improved fitness the ability to do the same amount of work, or more work more efficiently.A High VO2 means the ability to do lots of work. A person with a VO2 of 70 has to work half as hard to a task as a person with a VO2 of 35, or they can do twice as much in the sametime as a person with a VO2 of 35. If that isn't a good definition of fitness what is?

Chris Walls 11-17-2008 01:35 PM

Well I guess I'm RTFO'er. I'll just stick to coaching my athletes and members here and watch them smash PR's and do things they never thought possible. I'll try to avoid arguing with people much smarter then me about how to measure it to prove that they are in fact, getting far more fit doing this then they ever did doing anything else.

Out.

Brandon Oto 11-17-2008 01:40 PM

That was helpful.

Phillip Garrison 11-17-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Walls (Post 448653)
Well I guess I'm RTFO'er. I'll just stick to coaching my athletes and members here and watch them smash PR's and do things they never thought possible. I'll try to avoid arguing with people much smarter then me about how to measure it to prove that they are in fact, getting far more fit doing this then they ever did doing anything else.

Out.

RTFO'er?

Chris Walls 11-17-2008 01:53 PM

Right the frig out of'er

Phillip Garrison 11-17-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Walls (Post 448673)
Right the frig out of'er

I like that. I may have to use that at another time. BTW one of my best friends live in Kelowna, next time I go visit her maybe I'll stop by for a WOD

Sean Dunston 11-17-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Donahey (Post 447962)
I agree. Crossfit won't take your deadlift to 500-750 in two years without some specific training. Crossfit has you maxing out on deadlift maybe 1-2x a month, so let's say we max out on deadlifts maybe 18x a year. That means you'd have to add an average of 8-15 lbs to your 1RM every time you deadlifted (36x) over a two year timespan. I just don't think that's feasible outside of a strength program.

I could be wrong though. Anyone here done this on Crossfit only training?

My first 1RM DL was low 200s.
My current 1RM DL is now 440#.
Been Crossfitting since July 2007 - WODs only - no other specific strength training.
I'm not saying I'll be at 500# next July (after 2 full years of CrossFit), but 480# would be nice - that would be 3x body weight.

Phillip Garrison 11-17-2008 01:57 PM

A 200% increase in deadlift would be an impressive metric by anyones standards IMO

Sean Dunston 11-17-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq (Post 448681)
A 200% increase in deadlift would be an impressive metric by anyones standards IMO

Most of that increase happened in WAY LESS THAN ONE YEAR, while I was losing bodyweight and body fat content.