CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   CrossPit (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   To Whats a rear naked choke? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20014)

Gary Turner 06-05-2007 06:27 AM

Hi!

I get to do some commentary work from time to time, Eurosport, Channel 5, DVD releases, and its real funny the flack I get on terminology!

For example, is it a figure 4 armlock, or a kimura, or a chicken wing, or an Americana, or ude-gurame.....or is it what I called it, a bent arm joint manipulation? I called it that because of the audience who may not know what was going on.

On some threads at the time I got told I was stupid, the BJJ guys saying surely I should have known it was the kimura? And so on for the wrestlers, the judoka, etc...all with their favourite term...

So I went for the middle ground. The experienced know what to call it relative to themselves. The general public now know the attack.

So after the intro now to the point of the thread. I find that 'rear naked choke' is often misused with its sibling, the 'rear naked strangle'.

If you attack the windpipe, its a choke.

If you attack the artery, its a strangle.

So many times I hear people get it wrong, even experienced fighters. In summary, attack the front of the neck its a rear naked choke, go a bit deeper and compress the sides of the neck and its a rear naked strangle.

Mind you, attack both and you can call it a victory...

Just food for thought!

Smiler

James Besenyei 06-05-2007 08:29 AM

It's funny how words make all the difference among professionals. In construction there is a similar confusion when guys talk about equipment, sometimes they name them according to the most popular manufacturer of a certain type of equipment (i.e., a Hilti, JLG, Spider, etc.), at other times they refer to only what the piece of equipment does (i.e., scissor lift, boom truck, impact gun, etc.), and then there are specialty names given to equipment which certain trades have special affinity or hatred for (the helldog for example). The same is true in MMA, and I think that guys in different disciplines will always want to defend the hearth & home of their respective schools and the terms of art used therein. With that said, it's all the same, and I find as a spectator I like the clarity of a commentator who uses the most readily discernible term to describe a specific attack, though many fans today are able to differentiate between the different terms used by different disciplines. No matter, what you said is always true, in the end the term doesn't matter only its practical application.---Just some additional fodder!!

Curtis Nelson 06-05-2007 06:07 PM

Funny Gary!

I have the same thoughts. Doesn't matter what you call it if you can do it better and faster than the other guy.

Up until a few years I had never heard the term Kimura. If that is how you spell it?

I too have been corrected by some BJJ guys over that term. I don't know how to spell Gee either. But I never trained with one...so what.