CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Facility amenities (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=16490)

James Gates 09-10-2004 07:39 AM

When opening my own facility, I will be holding personal training sessions in the early morning hours so people can train before work.

Is it difficult to find light industrial spaces with full changeroom facilities with showers? Would landlords be willing to build these amenities in or would that be our responsiblity?

I can't see people willing to come in the morning before work, sweating a river and then going to work unshowered.

Thanks, James

Jeff Martin 09-10-2004 11:47 AM

James,
Every landlord is different. We are currently in our third location in five years. Our current landlord was willing to do whatever we wanted with TI's. We chose to have four large changing rooms/bathrooms rather than showers, however if we find the need we can convert a couple of the bathroom into showers. So far we have not seen a real need for showers.

James Gates 09-10-2004 12:49 PM

Thanks Jeff!

Did you have to pay for and install the changerooms or does the landlord provide this for you?

Has anyone at your club complained about the lack of showers. It would be a bummer to lose clients just because I did not have adequate changeroom facilities.

Lincoln Brigham 09-10-2004 02:11 PM

"Curves for Women" does not have lockers or showers. It's a model that seems to be working for them. 7,000 gyms and counting since 1992.

The full-service gym is no longer the only business model. The micro-gym is back.

Robert Wolf 09-10-2004 03:45 PM

We have yet to receive a request for a shower. They can really increase up-keep and it will make your insurance costs greater.
Robb

James Gates 09-10-2004 04:15 PM

Yikes! I never thought about the increased insurance. Maybe I'll just make it a Mr. turtle pool sponge bath! lol!

Thanks for the advice,

James

Lauren Glassman 09-13-2004 05:47 AM

Robb,
We have dealt with several insurance companies and have never had the shower thing be an issue.

We have two showers at CFHQ and do find that it is important to many of our clients.

In the past, lack of showers has lost us clients.

David Wood 09-13-2004 12:02 PM

Truthfully, not having a shower would probably kill my ability to work out there (unless it was very close to my home).

When I was born, and the angels gathered around my crib to bestow their gifts, they were completely out of looks, height, or brains . . . but had a huge abundance on sweat glands available.

There's no way I can do the WOD and then go to work (or anywhere, really) without a shower. It doesn't need to be fancy, but a sponge bath won't cut it.

(If Curves can make it without showers, I think that perhaps that says something about the clientele (people with flexible schedules) and/or the workout.)

Dave

Matt Gagliardi 09-13-2004 02:28 PM

[Laughing at Dave's observation] I have to tell you Dave, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the initial post...but decided I'd keep my mouth shut and not voice my contempt (for Curves). Glad you started it...I'll gladly jump on the bandwagon now. [/Laughing]

David Wood 09-13-2004 03:06 PM

Actually, I'm not nearly as down on Curves as it may have seemed:happy:. I am a real believer that anything (ANYTHING . . . even mall walking) is better than nothing when it comes to exercise, and everyone down at Curves is not watching TV for at least a little a while.

Maybe a few will graduate to something more significant. Most won't, I know . . . but I also know a lot of people for whom even the Curves workout would be an improvement.