CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Rhabdo... 4 days after Rhabdo. URGENT (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63456)

Luke Searra 12-08-2010 03:08 AM

Rhabdo... 4 days after Rhabdo. URGENT

Confirmed Rhabdo. Friends kidneys are fine , liver might be in trouble.
Does this mean permanent muscle loss!? What kind of rehabilitation is done??? What diet should be adhered to???
Advice much appreciated

Katherine Derbyshire 12-08-2010 11:58 AM

Re: Rhabdo... 4 days after Rhabdo. URGENT

Drink lots (I mean LOTS) of liquids. Follow medical advice to the letter. Expect it will take weeks, not days, before return to previous strength and fitness.

Katherine

Steven Low 12-08-2010 12:03 PM

Read this wfs
[url]http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/09/looking-at-rhabdomyolysis/[/url]

Generally, humans dont have hyperplasia of muscles. But if the muscle basement membranes are still in tact (in most cases are) the destroyed muscle fibers will grow back.

Depending on how bad there's going to be persistent muscle weakness anywhere from a couple months up to maybe a year or more.

Rehab obviously is going to be focused on getting good diet and health in order FIRST. Then slowly working back into exercising. Nothing special about it (just not a lot of eccentrics movements or fast movements). Mostly strength work would probably help.

Consult your doc on what diet they want you to do. I would say Paleo is fine but they might want to restrict protein and some other things for a bit just to make sure kidneys are OK. It's expected that there would be elevated liver enzymes after significant muscle trauma though so that's probably not an issue.

Thomas Green 12-08-2010 12:06 PM

Damn. After reading stories like this and your articles, I'm still mind boggled that HQ encourages jokes about this.

Brian Strump 12-08-2010 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=Thomas Green;876953]Damn. After reading stories like this and your articles, I'm still mind boggled that HQ encourages jokes about this.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the reason why "Pukie the Clown" will not be found on our website, or t-shirt ever.

Meghan Reid 12-09-2010 05:11 AM

[QUOTE=Brian Strump;876969]Exactly the reason why "Pukie the Clown" will not be found on our website, or t-shirt ever.[/QUOTE]

I really hate the "Death Before DNF" concept, too.

Good luck in your recovery, friend. Take it easy.

Darla Powell 12-13-2010 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=Thomas Green;876953]Damn. After reading stories like this and your articles, I'm still mind boggled that HQ encourages jokes about this.[/QUOTE]

:thanx:

Thomas Green 12-13-2010 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=Brian Strump;876969]Exactly the reason why "Pukie the Clown" will not be found on our website, or t-shirt ever.[/QUOTE]

Good man.

Allen Tluczek 12-14-2010 07:34 AM

My girlfriend was discharged from the hospital on Thanksgiving for Rhabdo in her arms from crossfit. Liver enxymes were high as well, no damage to kidneys. She's gotten full function back, but says her arms get tired a lot quicker than they used to. She has been taking finals the last two weeks and this is her last week, but she is leaning towards cutting packaged food from her diet (no paleo, not interested or pushed for) once finals are over in addition to getting back into the gym. Her doctor encouraged her to get back to exercising this week, actually. Every case is different, though, so don't take her experience as recommendations for anyone elses.

Rene Forestier 12-16-2010 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=Luke Searra;876750]Confirmed Rhabdo. Friends kidneys are fine , liver might be in trouble.
Does this mean permanent muscle loss!? What kind of rehabilitation is done??? What diet should be adhered to???
Advice much appreciated[/QUOTE]
Sorry to hear about your friend. I wish a speedy recovery. Can you give any more details as to how it happened so we can try to avoid it in the future?
What do you mean "HQ encourages jokes about this"?
What does Pukie have to do with rhabdo?