CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lower Spine Soreness (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22156)

Jeff Mouland 10-04-2007 05:47 AM

Lower Spine Soreness

Hey all,
A few weeks ago (at least it seems that long) we did a WoD that was Overhead Press, Push Press, and Push Jerk.

I was going for a personal best on my PP but got a little too excited and shot my hips out. The pain in my lower back was something I have never felt before. It was like someone was trying to bend my spine in half.

The next day I had some sharp shooting pains but that went away, felt kinda like a nerve being pinched.

But since then I have had tenderness right on my lower spine. If it was the surrounding muscle I wouldn't be as worried but the fact the tenderness is right ont he bone part worries me.

I am still doing all the wods and it has not affected my workouts. It has also not gotten worse, but has just stayed tender and I can notice it more when i arch my back.

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

Corey Duvall 10-04-2007 06:40 AM

Re: Lower Spine Soreness

Arching your back causing something known as facet jamming. There are small joints in your spine that when you arch backwards they can jam together. This can be very painful sometimes, especially if done forcefully like on a heavy push-press. Your lingering pain most likely is a sprain of the ligaments that surround those facet joints. Once you have done that, any err in form for any workout will irritate that sprain. Do you workout at a crossfit facility or on your own? I would recommend finding a crossfit affiliate near your area and have them examine your technique so that you are not irritating the sprain. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend two weeks off and a chiropractor. If your chiro tells you that you need a couple months of treatment, you're at the wrong place. Something like this should be a maximum of two weeks to heal and you should be feeling great.

That is all dependent on the fact that you don't have sharp pains going down your leg. That would be a bad sign, otherwise I think you'll be ok in a couple weeks as long as you don't irritate it much.

Good luck.

George Mounce 10-04-2007 06:43 AM

I'd get the CFJ for October and read the article from Rip - he hits on bad form in an alien funny sort of way :).

Max Seid 10-04-2007 07:27 AM

Jeff, Corey pretty much said it in a nutshell. I am in the same situation as we speak. I took 2 weeks at 50% and now I am seeing a chiropractor. At the very bottom of your spine are your L4 and L5 vertebrates as well as your facet joints, which is also where we tend to arch our backs the most when we fatigue resulting in bad form. There are nerves all along our spine and in your case (and mine) these nerves get irritated when the facets put pressure on these nerves. I am currently staying away from things such as heavy deadlifting and KB swings. Heavy squatting feels good as long as my core is as tight as can be and form is flawless. I feel a ton better after the 50% weeks. If I were you I would lower the weight and cut the reps in half for the first week. In the second week, keep reps low and increase weight. If you are recovering from an injury, high volume is really the last thing you want. Then in the third week you should be good to go all out. But listen to your body, if your not ready, then your not ready. I have just started with the chiropractor and it has really seemed to help. I would recommend it.

Best of luck,
Max

Jeff Mouland 10-04-2007 08:31 AM

Excellent guys thanks so much for the responses. I haven't had to drop my weight at all and do not have any shooting pains. But I will take your advice and ease off for a bit and see if the tenderness subsides.

I work out on my own and we do not have a Crossfit Facility where I live. I consider myself a student of proper technique and have good body awarenesss from years in gymnastics. I knew right away why what I did was wrong. So heres hoping my gusto doesn't get me hurt again.

I have been focusing on strenghtening my abs and lower back as long as it doesn't cause irritation, I have a feeling my core isn't as strong as needed.

In the meantime would heat or ice help speed up recovering from this?

Max Seid 10-04-2007 10:45 AM

Icing your back will reduce some of that inflamation that is caused. You could also try alternating hot and cold showers.