CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   In Search of CrossFitters (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ft. Lauderdale/Plantion Crossfitters (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20237)

Travis Loest 12-04-2007 06:45 PM

Re: Ft. Lauderdale/Plantion Crossfitters

Wow,
Dude, that really sucks. It's one thing to hear of it happening to CrossFitters in general. But it makes you think when it's happening to someone you know. I've heard of a lot of people using exactly this thing to start their own affiliate, please keep us posted. Saturday is a no-go for me. Processing Saturday so I'm working 'till at least 5 pm. Sunday's not looking good either.

Jeremy Rodgers 12-04-2007 08:37 PM

Haha that's lame.. I doub't you were running group classes and using up all the preacher curl and benches.. it'll probably work out best in the end anyway. GL w/ affiliation. There's definitely a need for a few strong active affiliaites down here!

I am out for this weekend but invitation is open to come chill/workout, watch volleyball, or whatever at beach.. I'll be thee minimum 9-1230ish sat and sun.

Stephan where did you wrestle at and do you still do any grappling? I am resuming bjj tomorrow after about a 3 month hiatus.

jmr

Stephan Marcella 12-04-2007 09:12 PM

thanks Jesse. I have to agree with you and I let the owner know I am not arguing with him. The group just grew. It initially started with a friend and his wife....We trained together every weekend. Then his wife asked if I could train with her a couple of times during the week....over the last two months the goup has just grown. I was ok with the owner's request, it is undertandable from his view. It is the manager's bs that PO'd me. HE said he warned me a few numerous times, which I had to throw a bs flag on it....oh well, it is what it is. I will definitely keep you guys posted. We may have a space in the next few weeks....around 2700sf for under $1000/mth. We are thinking about asking for donations to starty with until we can fully equip it to the point I would feel justified in charging a fee......

Stephan Marcella 12-04-2007 09:16 PM

Jeremy - I wrestled in HS (Northeast in Fort Lauderdale/Oakland Park) and did some Greco. BJJ is something I would like to get into....I definitely miss wrestling. Actually, I would like to get into Sambo, but there are not any schools around the I know of. Where are you taking BJJ?

Jeremy Rodgers 12-04-2007 10:41 PM

Take BJJ @ my gym (punch fitness).. it's there :D Our old instructor Manimal was very big on the greco clinch and takedowns. I haven't trained there since he went back to Brazil. I did take a few classes up in NY with Sambo Steve while I was visiting and really enjoyed them!

Naga is in March, want to compete? :) I'm hoping Crossfit really helps out with my strength and conditioning for fights.

On another note, did the CFT today.. squat 185 press 115 DL 225.. horrible squat. I have done better on 5x3 days. I don't feel like I have the strength to get the full range of motion and be strong down in the hole at high [for me] weights.. any ideas form anyone.. other than maybe doing more heavy full range squats? :) I feel like by BackSquat is way weaker than it should be.. and I have a pretty decent vert leap.. I'm hoping gettn my squat to 1.5 then 2x bodyweight will make even mor eof a difference there.

Travis Loest 12-06-2007 05:56 AM

Today's workout felt familiar :censored:

Stephan Marcella 12-06-2007 12:40 PM

Actually, I think this one will be a little worse. Do any of you have problem from doing the sit ups on concrete?

Travis Loest 12-06-2007 08:20 PM

no problems here, you get a couple cherries on your rear? If I do too many on something hard (like concrete) I'll end up rubbing a sore spot on my tailbone.

Stephan Marcella 12-06-2007 08:54 PM

That is correct! Did you try the WOD posted on Crossfit? It was smoker....I really loved it. Have great weekend and lets try to get the group together next week. I will probably place an order for bumpers and a bar or two from Witchita or the bumpers from the rubberman, and racks from York this weekend or early next week....between us, we should have a enough to have some great park workouts.....have a great weekend.

Travis Loest 12-07-2007 04:53 AM

The cherries on your rear will, sort of, go away as bf % goes down and you get better conditioned to them; But I've found that they are there if I do any excessive amount of sit ups. almost regardless of what surface I do them on. The Pendlay bars are great, but his prices on bumpers are not. Are you looking at anything other than his "CrossFit" bar?