CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Justin McGinley 11-05-2008 09:59 AM

Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;437863]

[B]WOD
3 Rounds for Time
800m Row (C2 Rower) [/B]Subbed for 800m run - knee not ready for this distance.
[B]50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups
Time = 26:17 [/B][/QUOTE]

A rowing Micheal. Brutal. My core hurts just thinking about doing that.

Rest up and get better. I recently made the mistake of training while sick, and I ended up being out of it for two weeks. Rest hard, recover harder. You'll be back soon enough.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-05-2008 05:29 PM

[quote=Patrick Haskell;438841]No, it doesn't call out GHDs. That just seems the natural way to do it, since you'd be doing backX on the GHD anyways - just flip over and hit it. Unfortunately, the 75 GHD situps I did for a half-Michael destroyed me so much that I've avoided th is workout, forgetting that the GHD was my own bad idea (inspired by folks on the comment page who do better with the GHD than I). I put it back on my list of metcons to hit, but I won't be using the GHD.[/quote]

That's good to know, Patrick. I like the GHDs - - except for the initial dizziness I get when I start doing them. They feel really powerful........'til I get tired! I do a lot better just doing regular situps.

[quote=Justin McGinley;438944]A rowing Micheal. Brutal. My core hurts just thinking about doing that.

Rest up and get better. I recently made the mistake of training while sick, and I ended up being out of it for two weeks. Rest hard, recover harder. You'll be back soon enough.[/quote]

I have discovered I really like rowing. Not only are my knees happy, it's something I can do and not really [B]suck [/B]at in my CF "infancy."

I'm feeling quite a bit better today, thanks Justin! Took it very easy today and will probably take tomorrow as a rest day, since my WO week is all screwed up.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-05-2008 05:39 PM

[U][B]Wednesday, 11/05/08[/B][/U][B]:[/B]

[B][I]PHYSICAL TYRANNY (THERAPY) - - Last Visit.......Yea!!!!!

[/I][/B][I]PT went very well. The tech was very pleased at my progress, though I'm still going to experience some lingering problems. She advises me I'll have to continue to work on the adhesions and scar tissue which have formed in my quads and loosen the tight IT band. Additionally, it will take a while longer until my right side hip flexors catch up to my left. All in all, good news and an increase probability I'll be able to avoid surgery!!

[B]Workout: [/B]Still not feeling 100%, so I abandoned the idea of doing today's Main Site WOD, which would have trashed me for sure.

[B]Warm-up / Cardio (notta metcon)
Versa Climber: [/B]20:00. 72 steps/min / 10-12 inch steps / HR to 132-134.

[B]Core Work:
GHD Sit-ups 10 X 3
Back Extensions 10 X 3

Strength Work (easy day):

GTG pull-ups
OH grip: 3, 1.
UH grip: 3, 2, 2.
Total = 11 DHPU. [/B](Really tired at this point - - lots of "fails" in the mix).

[B]Bench Dips:
10 X 3. [/B](Was careful with R/shoulder - - still minor pain. Hope I haven't done anything to my rotator cuff).

[/I]

Chris Scott 11-05-2008 09:56 PM

Hi Steve! Wow--awesome progress! You had just gotten your first DHPU when I left! That's great work.

Helen Lawson 11-06-2008 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;439364][U][B]Wednesday, 11/05/08[/B][/U][B]:[/B]

[B][I]PHYSICAL TYRANNY (THERAPY) - - Last Visit.......Yea!!!!!

[/I][/B][I]PT went very well. [/QUOTE]

Congrats on the last day of PT! Sounds like everything is on the right track!

Don't go too hard on the GHD sit-ups! They can be a real killer! Try working up slowly on them like you are on the pull-ups and you'll get it.

Great job!

Justin McGinley 11-06-2008 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;439364][U][B]Wednesday, 11/05/08[/B][I]PT went very well. The tech was very pleased at my progress, though I'm still going to experience some lingering problems. She advises me I'll have to continue to work on the adhesions and scar tissue which have formed in my quads and loosen the tight IT band. Additionally, it will take a while longer until my right side hip flexors catch up to my left. All in all, good news and an increase probability I'll be able to avoid surgery!!
[/I][/QUOTE]

Awesome!

Two things:

1)For the IT band - A foam roller is your best friend. It'll HURT so good.

2) For the hip flexor imbalance - single-leg bridges, focus on activating your glutes.

Erin Davidson 11-06-2008 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Justin McGinley;439714]Awesome!

Two things:

1)For the IT band - A foam roller is your best friend. It'll HURT so good.

2) For the hip flexor imbalance - single-leg bridges, focus on activating your glutes.[/QUOTE]

Aw. My tribe members do me proud.

CONGRATS on doing so well with PT, Steve. That's hard work and can challenge even the most patient of us.

I'd recommend including a good amount of single leg work in your programming every now and then (it's the one thing I wish Crossfit Programming had MORE of)- you can sub in split squats, lunges, single leg romanian deadlifts, step ups, and single leg squats for a lot of "leg stuff" and this generally helps with imbalances and increasing mobility. Heavy Single Leg Work days can always be a good sub on days that you might work a skill like the clean or snatch with PVC and want something to give you a little more bang for your buck.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-06-2008 02:23 PM

[B][U]Thursday, 11/06/08[/U]:[/B]

[B][I]REST DAY. [/I][/B][I]Feeling much better, but don't want to push too hard, considering. Stretching and light mobility stuff at home today.[/I] [I] Taking Cheryll to Dr's to check out shoulder and immobilization.

[B]NOTE: [/B]A little for the sake of CF here........
I did not do a good job of reviewing my own log for my progress. Turns out I did a "Rowing Michael" during the 2nd week I was crossfitting; [B]time = 41:49.[/B] The one I did last Monday (the beginning of my 9th week) was accomplished in [B]26:17[/B]! I could not believe that kind of improvement to be possible, especially at my age. Thank you CF!!
[/I]

Nancy Cohen 11-06-2008 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;440152]
I did not do a good job of reviewing my own log for my progress. Turns out I did a "Rowing Michael" during the 2nd week I was crossfitting; [B]time = 41:49.[/B] The one I did last Monday (the beginning of my 9th week) was accomplished in [B]26:17[/B]! I could not believe that kind of improvement to be possible, especially at my age. Thank you CF!!
[/I][/QUOTE]

Woooohoooo!! Isn't that amazing!!!

I assume that you feel better and stronger and healthier than you did 9 weeks ago, too, right?

Charles Bennington 11-06-2008 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;440152][B][U]Thursday, 11/06/08[/U]:[/B]

[B][I]REST DAY. [/I][/B][I]Feeling much better, but don't want to push too hard, considering. Stretching and light mobility stuff at home today.[/I] [I] Taking Cheryll to Dr's to check out shoulder and immobilization.

[/I][/QUOTE]

:eek: Damn...Simply awesome.