CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 10-31-2008 10:37 PM

Re: The Bassman's Log (Steve Lampl)

[quote=Justin McGinley;435084]SWEET :highfive:

That has to be a great feeling.[/quote]

Thanks, Justin! It is.

Stephen R. Lampl 10-31-2008 10:39 PM

[quote=Patrick Haskell;435117]You're suddenly a pullup machine, Steve. Go to the affiliate. Your family will have to learn to understand. It's not like you'll have another good chance for a while. Bring them to the free class.[/quote]

Patrick,

Thank you! I had the chance to go to an affiliate where my daughter lives (yesterday and today)! Did a one-on-one training session with one of the trainers also. What a privilege for me!

Stephen Smith 10-31-2008 11:38 PM

You went ahead and did it, awesome! Even though I usually work out alone, there's nothing like going to an affiliate to get motivated. I just wish I could do it more often... Did you learn a lot in your sessions?

Stephen R. Lampl 10-31-2008 11:40 PM

[B][U]Thursday, 10/30/08[/U]:[/B]

[I][B]Visited CrossFit Redding, CA.[/B] Got introduced to a great group of people and had the privilege of doing the 5:30 p.m. WOD with them!

[B]Warm-up:
[/B]Jump Rope singles X 30 seconds = 63; X 25 seconds = 24 (kept tripping on rope this time) :mad:
PVC shoulder pass thrus
CF Redding WU (workout specific)

[B]WOD: "Angie"
[/B]First time doing Angie. Since neither the staff, nor I had any idea of my capabilities, scaled to 50 reps of each (instead of 100).
[B]50 Jumping Pull-ups
50 Push-ups
50 Sit-ups
50 Squats
Time = 11:04.

Kipping rudiments - a few pointers.........[/B]Lots of work still needed!!
[B]Dips: 9 X 2, 7 X 1 [/B]
[B]Pull-ups: 1 OH grip, 2 UH grip [/B](fried.....)

[B]Functional Workout (@ daughters apt):
[/B](Why did I do this AFTER the workout??????)
[B]Jockey treadmill around/thru narrow door ways, down stairs and load into wife's SUV
Move old, big, glass tube TV set
Haul queen bed upstairs [/B][/I][B][U]Friday, 10/31/08[/U]: [I](at CrossFit Redding)
[/I][I]Training Session with Jason Kulyn [/I][/B][I](Thanks, Jason!!!:pepper:. Kevin too!)
[B]Introduction to PVC pole stretches/warm ups:[/B]
[/I][I]Shoulder pass throughs
Stiff legged DL position maintaining lumbar curve
Shoulder/upper arm flexibility stretch
Upper torso stretch circles (Name?) - both directions

[B]Foam rolling - Direct application to injured area of R/knee[/B]

[B]Introduction to Presses w/ PVC:
[/B]Worked on keeping balance and form - weight over heels
Proper "bar" positioning overhead with press
"Stuffing" shoulders to ears
Perform body movement w/back to wall to reinforce proper "posture"

[B]Medicine Ball Cleans:
[/B]Worked on:Bringing up the ball smoothly from the squat
Weight over heels, ball close in
Shrug shoulders / open hips and stand tall (ball close in to body)
Maintain lumbar curve
Drop down and under ball rotating hands to support med ball from under the sides, ball remains close to chest
10 reps approx.

[B]Finished sessions with short WOD:
21 - 15 - 9
16# Med. Ball Cleans
45# Bar Push Presses
Time = 9:17

Dips:
9 X 1. [/B]9th rep, something in my R/shoulder popped; I didn't lose any strength but it hurt a bit. No loss of flexibility. Hope it's just some microadhesions or similar pulling loose.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[B]Note: [/B]I had the privilege of watching the 11:00 a.m. WOD with the "advanced" class participating. AWESOME scores too!
Fight Gone Bad
3 rounds - 5 min rounds / 1 min rest between rds.)
Wall Ball Shots
Push Presses
Back Extensions
SDLHP
Reclining Pull-ups

These two days have been a great experience for me. I hope to work out with them again tomorrow.......provided my shoulder is ok.
BTW, R/knee feels better than it has in 6 months!!!

[/I]

Stephen R. Lampl 10-31-2008 11:53 PM

[quote=Stephen Smith;436230]You went ahead and did it, awesome! Even though I usually work out alone, there's nothing like going to an affiliate to get motivated. I just wish I could do it more often... Did you learn a lot in your sessions?[/quote]

Boy, did I, Steve! It was really a privilege to work with the trainer; a sharp young guy who, incidentally, is the son of two RNs I knew from church there in Redding. His dad was (and is) a fantastic guitar player and singer!

I also got to work out with a class and observe some of the "upper echelon" CFers there do the FGB. I'm just crazy enough to want to try it!!

Patrick Haskell 11-01-2008 05:00 AM

Awesome, Steve. Glad you found a way to join the affiliate and hope you get in another day while you can. This visit will pay off for months.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-03-2008 12:42 AM

[U][B]Saturday, 11/01/08[/B][/U][B]:

[I]Rest Day. [/I][/B][I]
Had to make a quick trip home (pet emergency) from Redding Friday afternoon, traveled back to Redding Sat. Hoped to do another workout at CrossFit Redding, but they were closing as I got into town.

[/I][U][B]Sunday, 11/02/08[/B][/U][B]:

[/B][I]Worked out at YMCA, Redding (CF affiliate closed).
Sore from previous WOs and training session, plus R/shoulder hurting.

[B]Warm Up:
Stationary Cycling: [/B]20:00 / 6.0 miles / 100 RPM / HR to 128. Cycle was different than that at my globo - - had to set level to L9/L10 to raise HR.

[B]WOD: Rowing - C2 Rower
Row 2.5K - Time: 11:18. [/B]Pace= 2:20/500m. Sprint last 200m @ 1:55 pace/500m.

[B]Row for 30:00; [/B](Easy to Mod. pace). [B]Distance = 5.75K [/B](pace avg 2:37/500m).

[B]Tabata Rows. 20sec Row all-out / 10sec rest (4:00 total time).
Distances (meters):
97, 93, 93, 88, 91, 90, 83, 86. Total = 721m
[/B]I'm not sure how to use the C2's computer (or if it will track the 20 sec distances individually). The numbers here may be off (I had to subtract successive distances from total rowed), but they should be pretty close.

The rowing was fun and felt really good with R/knee. Didn't bother R/shoulder either!

[/I]

Elizabeth Terris 11-03-2008 03:41 AM

What a lot of work! I am glad you found your way to CF Redding! It is a great deal of fun to do WODs with other people and it seems like it has really excited you! Nice Angie1

Stephen R. Lampl 11-03-2008 09:04 PM

[quote=Patrick Haskell;436293]Awesome, Steve. Glad you found a way to join the affiliate and hope you get in another day while you can. This visit will pay off for months.[/quote]

Hi Patrick,

Can't remember if I replied. I didn't have time until now (got back from Redding, CA last night). The two days I got to spend at the affiliate were mind-blowing to say the least. Everyone is so friendly and just welcomes another person, regardless of how advanced or inexperienced, "into the fold" to work out at their level. It's basically like an "in-person" outgrowth of the forum. Everyone appreciates questions, is willing to provide their knowledge, and enjoys watching others be challenged.

I had a blast, worked hard, and learned a tremendous amount. I feel like I now have a useful foundation on which to grow.

Stephen R. Lampl 11-03-2008 09:12 PM

[quote=Elizabeth Terris;437152]What a lot of work! I am glad you found your way to CF Redding! It is a great deal of fun to do WODs with other people and it seems like it has really excited you! Nice Angie1[/quote]

Thank you, Elizabeth! Needless to say, I was surprised and very happy when I "Googled" the affiliate. I was simply curious to see if such an animal as CrossFit Redding even existed. They are located about 4 miles from our old home in West Redding. Now I have a new place to work out when we go up there to see our daughter. I used to work out at the "Y" religiously. It's still there, but not really equipped for CF workouts.

Thanks on the Angie, too! I've been kinda "chicken" to try it just because my endurance is so poor (getting better, but.......), yet I had a lot of fun and will definitely try it with the full 100 next time.