CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Breakfast is the best meal of the day! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=74955)

BMH 04-22-2012 10:13 AM

Breakfast is the best meal of the day!

My breakfast today was 1162 calories according to MyFitnessPal.

5 jumbo eggs
4 slices of toast
2 pat of butter
1/2 cup shredded cheese
2 apples

This is a light day too ha! All you "hardgainers" take note!

Joey Shishineh 04-22-2012 04:33 PM

Re: Breakfast is the best meal of the day!

Breakfast is the best...Get some bacon involved!
here is mine:
4 eggs
4 slices bacon
1 cup oatmeal
only about 800 cals, but still good.

Dave Traeger 04-22-2012 05:06 PM

No such thing as hardgainers, just people who don't know how to eat.

Chris Mason 04-22-2012 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=David Traeger;1054827]No such thing as hardgainers, just people who don't know how to eat.[/QUOTE]

There are those that don't gain as easily as others, but you are right to a degree. Most who think they are hard gainers simply don't eat enough.

BMH 04-22-2012 09:17 PM

My dinner at work was also 1100+ calories :)

Jeff Yan 04-22-2012 09:54 PM

:highfive:

Right on, fellas.

My usual from the deli across the street from the office:

3 egg omelet with sausage, provolone and onions
served atop 2 hash browns

two buttered slices of multigrain toast

(and 2 fish oil capsules and some water)

calorie count: who gives a sh*t

Craig Horstman 04-23-2012 11:32 PM

my breakfast pretty much every morning. great way to start the day.

3 hard boiled egg whites (yolks give me heart burn all day :mad:)
bacon
french toast (on occasion)
oatmeal with cinnamon
fruit (watermelon, pineapple, pears, applesauce, strawberries. just depends on what the dfac has that day)
oj, chocolate milk, and a cup of coffee

Ian Girvan 04-24-2012 04:59 AM

Black coffee and fish oil. Gotta love IF

Erik Glynn 04-24-2012 08:04 AM

I'm with y'all on that.

4 Eggs Omelet
Sausage
Apple+Almond butter (nectar of the gods!)
+Coffee

Steven Allspach 04-24-2012 11:50 AM

I love my Breakfast.

Here is what I have every day (I know, not constantly varied, but I Love it)

3/4 cup cooked oatmeal w/
1/4 berries (usually blueberries)
1/4 walnuts
1 tbs splenda brown sugar
1 tbs Pure Honey
1 carton (2 cups) of 100% pure egg whites
2 fish oil (ALN brand)
1 Multivitamin/Multimineral

I drink the egg whites instead of cooking eggs for convenience and to save time in the morning.

Not sure how many calories, dont really care :)

BMH 04-24-2012 07:18 PM

We breakfast eaters only support IF if you select your feeding time to be during breakfast time!

George Novak 04-24-2012 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Ian Girvan;1055237]Black coffee and fish oil. Gotta love IF[/QUOTE]

How long have you been doing IF for? And what's the program you follow, 8/16? I'm about to start that and just wanted to see how it's working for you..

Dimitri Dziabenko 04-24-2012 10:36 PM

I've been doing IF for like 3 days (16/8), so far I really like it. I don't have to worry about preparing breakfast while half-awake (not a morning person) and can focus on work and then get to stuff myself silly in the 8 hours post-workout :D

Brent E Harsch 04-24-2012 11:39 PM

My breakfast everyday with only slight variations.

4-5 Eggs
1 Sweet Potato (half depending on size)
1/4 - 1/2 Bell Pepper
chopped red onions
hand full of baby spinach
either 8oz Smoked Sausage or Steak.

Chopped and scrambled together. I need to run it through a calculator to see what the counts are on it.

Frances Ballesteros 04-25-2012 01:59 AM

Doing IF too, although, once a week...usually Saturdays I eat breakfast, it involves pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, french toast or toast with some jelly...and chocolate milk, and maybe a piece of fruit if I'm not feeling too full :)

Tricia Magrini 04-25-2012 03:46 AM

Ian, the fish oil doesn't bother you with no food? I am IFing too and my fast breaking meal includes a lot of eggs. I would miss brekkie too much to forego it altogether!

Tom Lapaglia 04-25-2012 05:50 AM

Can someone explain the basics of IF? What do the 8 and 16 mean?

Chris Hunke 04-25-2012 06:19 AM

[QUOTE=Tom Lapaglia;1055589]Can someone explain the basics of IF? What do the 8 and 16 mean?[/QUOTE]

I dont know anything about IF, but given the conversation, it sounds like 8 hours of eating and 16 hours of fasting each day

Dimitri Dziabenko 04-25-2012 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Hunke;1055596]I dont know anything about IF, but given the conversation, it sounds like 8 hours of eating and 16 hours of fasting each day[/QUOTE]

Correct, it's the approach advocated by leangains.com, and they seem to be doing well.

Client results:

[url]http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Client%20results[/url] (NOT WFS, people posing)

Tony Colicchio 04-25-2012 08:36 AM

Cain, Your 5'9" and 140#, what the h@ll are you doing IF for??? EAT, a lot.

Craig Horstman 04-25-2012 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=Tony Colicchio;1055642]Cain, Your 5'9" and 140#, what the h@ll are you doing IF for??? EAT, a lot.[/QUOTE]

he's already been told that in a million different threads by a million different people. don't waste your breath.

BMH 04-25-2012 10:11 AM

He's got the fear in him about embracing his inner man-bear-pig :)

Dimitri Dziabenko 04-25-2012 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=Cain Papettas;1055537]Yo george! i tried it these past 2 weeks! 8/16 with about 2700 cals, i have found myself really hungry right before i eat and what ever i eat never seems enough!! i thought i would give it a try on my resting phase and yeah all i have been doing is squeezing what i normally eat and then some into 8 hours instead of 12 give or take![/QUOTE]

I think we went through the calculations at some point, but here's the calculator again:

[url]http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_gain_calculator.htm[/url] (WFS)

You should be eating 2800 - 3300, 3300 if you are really ecto, 2800 if you are really endo (which you are not). At the very least, you should average 3000 a day. If you really fear fat gain, for whatever weird psychological reason, put a greater increase on your lifting days, and slightly less on the non-workout days, so maybe 3500 on workout days, 2700 on non-workout days. Either way, eat more.

Chris Hunke 04-25-2012 12:46 PM

[QUOTE=Craig Horstman;1055644]he's already been told that in a million different threads by a million different people. don't waste your breath.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's almost to the point of attention whoring.

Eric Montgomery 04-25-2012 05:14 PM

You can only squeeze so much food into an 8 hour window before your stomach bursts. If you're someone who badly needs to gain weight, why would you limit yourself in that way?

Colin McLafferty 04-25-2012 09:46 PM

Manbearpig, what's your daily calorie intake? Breakfast game is pretty good, respect.

BMH 04-25-2012 10:37 PM

I strive for at least 3000 a day. I loose weight if I eat less and do any lifting or cariovascular taining.

BMH 04-25-2012 10:39 PM

Additionally I have backed off to that amount since school has been busy and my lifting has dropped in frequency. I was chugging along to the tune of about 4-4.5k cals a day for awhile during smolov and the start of madcow

Dimitri Dziabenko 04-25-2012 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=Bill M. Hesse;1055935]I was chugging along to the tune of about [B]4-4.5k cals a day[/B] for awhile during smolov and the start of madcow[/QUOTE]

I am gaining fat just by looking at that.

BMH 04-26-2012 07:30 AM

I have gained a little fat but I am not as anal about keeping low BF like many on the board. as long as I am around 10-15% I really don't care. Right now I am more 15%ish and when I got serious I was more 10-ish. I care more about attaining beastness and a healthy body fat than da abz. I am married and pretty secure so i try to build my training and diet around strength performance and things like running and high intensity cardio from doing heavy bag are for general health and preparedness and nothing else.

Frances Ballesteros 04-26-2012 08:51 AM

It all comes down to goals. Some prefer abss and others prefer being a little more fatty because dieting is such a hassle.

I'd like a good mix of strength and cardio, with visible abs :D Let's see how far I can go without drugs :)

BMH 04-26-2012 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have soft ab outlines, does that get me into the club? For your veiwing pleasure:

Frances Ballesteros 04-26-2012 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Bill M. Hesse;1056043]I have soft ab outlines, does that get me into the club? For your veiwing pleasure:[/QUOTE]

Bread ?

[ATTACH]9230[/ATTACH]

Colin McLafferty 04-26-2012 10:46 AM

Dang I wouldve thought more than that with a 1100 calorie breakfast. So do you just eat three meals a day or do you graze?

Im hitting 4-5 thousand nowadays with 600 of that coming from a Maximus shake.

Nitesh Mehta 04-26-2012 12:34 PM

A 4 egg omelette with onions, mushrooms and spinach
2 Whole grain bread with 2 tbsp Peanut butter (YES!)
A glass of milk
3 Fish oil caps

about 800-900 cals i think..

BMH 04-26-2012 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=Colin McLafferty;1056078]Dang I wouldve thought more than that with a 1100 calorie breakfast. So do you just eat three meals a day or do you graze?

Im hitting 4-5 thousand nowadays with 600 of that coming from a Maximus shake.[/QUOTE]

It looks like less because the half dozen egg omlette and half cup or so of shredded cheese is staked on top of itself and contains the bulk of the calories. The bread is 100 calories a slice, 12oz of whole milk is 200+ the apples aren't much but I try and eat fruit and/or veggies in some quantity for every meal. Really though, you don't have to eat a ton to get the calories (as much as you might think provided you eat the right foods). I usually eat when I am hungry and commence to slam the food. I find if I graze I never eat a whole lot because I am never that hungry. I probably eat about every 8 hours. Today I ate at 10am, I will eat again here at about 6 or so, and then I will eat once more around 11-12. So it isn't totally even splits but I also go heavier on the first two meals and only a couple hundred for the last meal while I am relaxing and getting ready for bed. In keeping with Jon North's latest blog post I am tired of trying to fit someone else's program into my life so I am doing what works for me and listening to my body. All my programming and eating is a loose template that I use to guide myself to an end goal which is to hopefully this year pull in the 480's on my deadlift, 360's on my squat, 250's for my bench, and about bodyweight (185+) overhead press. Once I get these goals and we move to a house with a better overhead area for lifting, the Oly powerhouse will begin!

Joey Shishineh 04-28-2012 05:59 AM

t-minus 2 hours til post-wod breakfast-athon. This time it will be eggs, avocado, oatmeal, strawberries, and pineapple.

BMH 05-01-2012 09:46 AM

Thread revival!

6 egg scramble
8 slices center cut bacon
2.5 cups left over salad with house dressing (salmon, strawberries, apples, celery, organic romaine lettuce, carrots, bell peppers)
32 oz whole fat milk

According to MyFitnessPal: 1669 calories

Brian Clarke 05-01-2012 11:50 AM

My usual breakfasts are...

Weekdays:

Smoothie with:
- 4 eggs
- banana
- handful of berries
- handful of baby spinach
- half a can coconut milk
(900ish cal)

Weekends:

- Paleo pancakes (coconut milk, coconut flour, 3 eggs, honey and cinnamon) w/ fruit
- bacon
- sweet potato homefries
and a 3 egg spinach and cheese omelette
(close to 2000 cal)

I love breakfast.

BMH 05-01-2012 03:00 PM

Note to self: 32 oz of milk and salad don't treat me well....