CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   PT says no more Squats (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=22805)

Jim Devlin 11-02-2007 09:51 PM

Re: PT says no more Squats

Kelly,
What about back squats. Some folks have suggested that the low-back position of the bar can be hard on the shoulder joints over time. Any thoughts?
Jim

Kelly Brown 11-04-2007 02:35 PM

Jim

I guess if you were doing a lot of them. I am not a huge fan of back squats just because I dont think they are super functional for most of us. We put them into the mix every once in a while at our gym. If you were doing them 3x/week or something it might be rough on the rotator cuff over time. Other than that, I wouldnt sweat it.

Corey Duvall 11-05-2007 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=Jim Devlin;211258]Some folks have suggested that the low-back position of the bar can be hard on the shoulder joints over time. Any thoughts?
Jim[/QUOTE]

IMO, it would be hard on the joints if improper shoulder blade flexibility exists. If the shoulder blade cannot be pulled back far enough this will stress the rotator cuff abnormally and cause issues. It will show up in back squats, it will show up in throwing baseballs, it will show up in swimming, it will show up getting things off a high shelf. Proper flexibility allows for proper technique and execution.

Shane Upchurch 11-05-2007 01:02 PM

Nobody has mentioned this from this thread but...I found a pilates reformer machine for cheap on craigslist and I was thinking of buying it, but before I do I wanted to see what some of you thought about this idea? Do you think that this is something that could help rehab my back injury? Again, I have quit squatting, dl'ing, and most of the oly lifts and have been focusing on my rings etc., but due to other factors I cannot see a Dr. or chiro at this time and so any kind of rehab I can do on my own would be great. Has anyone tried anything like this for this specific reason? Any thoughts....?

David Wood 11-05-2007 01:33 PM

I wouldn't buy a Pilates reformer unless you know what you're doing with it. Pilates doesn't get much credit here on this board, but it can be great in certain populations, and, done right, it is NOT easy.

But very few folks will do it well without some serious instruction and/or discipline.

Doing gentle stretches, leg presses, etc. in an unfocused way on the reformer won't hurt you . . . but it's unlikely to do you a whole lot of good, either.

Shane Upchurch 11-05-2007 01:46 PM

Yea, it comes with an instructional video but other than that I would have no clue what I was doing. Guess, after 2 years, Im just grasping at straws for something to heal my back.

Shane Upchurch 11-05-2007 06:39 PM

Rob, what kind of exercises or stretches does your guy have you do? Is a lumbar roll like a foam roll?

Aileen Reid 11-06-2007 01:11 AM

Shane, if you do a search on my posts, in one of them I went into infinite detail on what my guy did to me. And it was that simple I reckon if you have a friend/partner that can lend a hand I would give it a go and see what happens.

Shane Upchurch 11-06-2007 10:42 AM

Aileen, I performed a search and came up with 116 threads...do you think you could narrow it up any? Do you remember is this post in injuries, fitness, etc....or a date maybe? Anything to narrow the search down.

Aileen Reid 11-06-2007 05:14 PM

Gosh have I been talking that much! :-) I'll have a look and get back to you.