CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Should we treat fruit as a processed food? Neolithic? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=9288)

Greg Battaglia 07-12-2006 10:58 AM

What is everyone's opinions on fruit? I know that wild fruit is completely healthy and low in total sugar and contains much higher levels of nutrients and antioxidants. But what about modern fruits? They're sugary, much larger, and really don't seem to contain much nutrient content compared to vegetables. Not to even mention the high fructose content of fruits, which increases serum triglyceride levels, interferes with liver function, and is much more likely to cause the formation of AGE's. They also seem to halt the fat-burning process. What has been everyone's experience with fruit these days? Is there anyway to obtain wild fruits from any health food stores?

Steve Shafley 07-12-2006 11:07 AM

The amount of fructose in even high fructose fruits isn't that big.

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritio...its_table.html

Just a quick number from the above chart.

7.6 grams of fructose in 100 grams of apple.

Greg Battaglia 07-12-2006 11:29 AM

I meant that fruit had a high fructose content relative to the other types of sugar found in fruit, like glucose, sucrose, galactose, etc.

Steve Shafley 07-12-2006 07:30 PM

Just avoid those fruits, homey. Like apples seem to be the biggest problem.

I'm lucky, just down the road a half hour or so, I've got an antique apple orchard. 300+ varieties of apples nobody but this orchard grows anymore. $2 a bushel, you pick.

Ted Williams 07-12-2006 09:13 PM

Steve, is that in Michigan?

Hone Watson 07-13-2006 02:17 AM

I reckon fruit is fine in the context of a paleo non-processed diet.

Most fruits actually have a low glycemic load. Chimpanzees and Orangotangs eat a lot of fruit and they're usually less than 4% body fat. Apparently humans are more than 98% the same dna of these apes. (Not a hugely scientific argument I know)

When I passed through Dubai I went on a dune safari in a Toyota Landcruiser - basically just driving around crazy in the desert dunes. Our guide was this Emiratie guy who had a picture of his grandfather in his glove box.

The dude was totally ripped at 94 with all his lean muscle mass still intact - built like a 400 meter runner.

Apparently he just lived in the desert eating, camel meat, camel milk, goat meat and lots of raw dates.

Dates probably have the highest GI out of any fruit.

Steve Shafley 07-13-2006 04:34 AM

Yes indeed. I was wrong, 1700 varieties of apples.

Eastman's Antique Orchard
1058 S. County Line Road
Wheeler, MI 48662
Midland County
Phone: (989) 842-5684
Directions: From the East: take M-46 west from Saginaw. Go 4 miles past the city of Merrill to Woodbridge Road, than turn 4 miles north to County Line Road.
From the West: take M-46 go 3 miles past the city of Breckenridge to Woodbridge Road, than turn 4 miles north to County Line Road. The orchard is on the corner of County Line Road and Woodbridge Road.
Open: Late July (early apples) through October;
Description: U-Pick Drive Through. We have over 1700 varieties of apples: international, modern and antique, including many rare antique apples. Most or our trees are dwarf trees for easy picking.

Tony Ferous 07-13-2006 04:39 AM

Greg, for those reasons, i mainly eat berries and choose small fruit - the smallest apples etc, not the enormous bloated ones. That way you get maximum fruit skin surface area, where most of the nutrients are, and most of the wax and pesticides too unfortunately.

Marc Moffett 07-13-2006 04:53 AM

Greg, my opinion is that you can worry too much about carbs/fructose. With Tony, I try to choose small fruits with high surface to volume ratios. But I don't worry about it too much. Fruits are just too loaded with good stuff to ignore. And from an evolutionary perspective, they have one advantage that no other food source has--they plant "intends" for you to eat them! IMO that is worth pondering. (The fact that fruits have really been an integral part of our diet for millions of years (far longer than meat), makes me a little suspicious of the "badness of fructose" claims. I am not sure we have all the facts in on this one.)

On top of all that, I think that diversifying the diet is very important. If you cut out fruits, then you have to make that diversity up elsewhere. It can be hard to do.

Ben Kaminski 07-13-2006 05:24 AM

I have read that in the Paleo world, fruits provided sugar in Summer needed to increase fertility in women, to allow conception in humans who would otherwise not conceive. I think this was in Lights Out! but I am not sure.