CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   In Search of CrossFitters (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   San Francisco Crossfit- Worth It? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=81906)

M. Ryan Smith 05-06-2013 08:03 PM

San Francisco Crossfit- Worth It?

Hi all- I am moving out to San Francisco this summer and will be looking to join a box. San Francisco Crossfit is home to mobwod, brian mackenzie, and a great team. I was really hoping to workout there but the apartment I rented will be around 3.5 miles away. Seeing as I don't have a car, and I would be working out before work, the quickest way would be for me to bike there.

My question is- do you think it is worth it to bike almost 7 miles roundtrip to go there, or should I just join a box closer by? I'd love to go to SFCF but am not sure if the convenience/extra metabolic work will be worth it.

Thoughts?

Sean Dunston 05-07-2013 02:24 AM

Re: San Francisco Crossfit- Worth It?

Is it worth the "extra metabolic work"?
You are talking about going to the gym, right?

Seriously though - try it for a month to see if it is worth it. To me it would be a no brainer.

Frederic Giraud 05-07-2013 05:40 AM

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

Frank E Morel 05-07-2013 08:52 AM

Public transit is easily taken to presido

Google sf transit. Muni and Bart are your newest BFF In sf.

Paul Glezer 05-07-2013 03:02 PM

3.5 miles on a bike, will go by QUICK. Super good warmup and cool down.

Kelli Talaska 05-07-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Glezer (Post 1163756)
3.5 miles on a bike, will go by QUICK. Super good warmup and cool down.

But 3.5 miles by bike in the hills of San Francisco might be torture; depends on the route. Ryan, I'd get ahold of one of the SF bike maps, which will show elevation change, to check if there's a reasonable route for you. If you can find a basically flat route, it should be fine.

M. Ryan Smith 05-07-2013 08:05 PM

Yeah I tend to agree with you guys. I would have to go to the 6am class due to work, so biking that early was my biggest concern.

Blair Robert Lowe 05-08-2013 02:31 AM

3.5 miles really is nothing, but SF can suck. Depends on the area. If you don't have hills, that's 30 minutes on a very casual ride depending. SF can really suck on a mtn bike though. Definitely road bike.

Luckily, getting around in SF with local transit is super fast. I think buses run every 15 minutes.

Most of the area around SFCF and the Presidio is fairly moderate biking wise if I remember correctly. From Fisherman's wharf to the Presidio.

To me, it always seemed like the hills and elevation was mostly on latitudinal lines vs longitude. But it all depends where you are living.

Matt Jawlik 05-08-2013 07:22 PM

Try it out one day before you make a commitment and see how much it sucks.

Not trying to dissuade you, but I used to live around 3.5 miles from SFCF (SOMA) and from my apartment that would have involved climbing 2 monster hills. It's pretty much impossible to ride 3.5 miles out from the Marina and not encounter huge hills.

Blair Robert Lowe 05-08-2013 09:20 PM

Yep, when I was in SF and riding around and hit a hill like that, it was time to just get off and walk the rest.