CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No spotter for noob...bad idea? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66607)

Joel Steven 04-19-2011 08:45 PM

No spotter for noob...bad idea?

Hey all, I'm new to olympic lifting, and I have no spotter. Would it be a good idea to wait until I have someone to spot me before I tackle these lifts?

Jason Wallis 04-19-2011 08:49 PM

Re: No spotter for noob...bad idea?

Start relatively light, work on form first, learn to dump a missed lift. A spotter isn't necessary, but video yourself occasionally for form feedback if there's no one there to provide feedback.

Jonathan Vechet 04-19-2011 08:54 PM

I'm curious as to how you plan to be spotted doing a dynamic movement.

Joel Steven 04-19-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet (Post 928064)
I'm curious as to how you plan to be spotted doing a dynamic movement.

Like I said, I'm new to this. It's quite possible that my terminology isn't on par with someone who has been doing this for awhile. I mostly mean should I have a spotter when it comes to squats, bench etc. I realize that it's not possible to have someone spot me during a snatch etc.

Katherine Derbyshire 04-19-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Steven (Post 928066)
Like I said, I'm new to this. It's quite possible that my terminology isn't on par with someone who has been doing this for awhile. I mostly mean should I have a spotter when it comes to squats, bench etc. I realize that it's not possible to have someone spot me during a snatch etc.

For maximal lifts, not a bad idea. For routine day-to-day lifting, you shouldn't need one.

If you're new at this, it will be a while before you're moving dangerous weights, anyway. Learn how to dump a missed lift.

Katherine

Jonathan Vechet 04-19-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Steven (Post 928066)

Ok. All I saw was Olympic lifts, which is where my response came from.

As far as spotting for the bench and squat; I workout alone and haven't had any real trouble with this. For the squat, if the rack has safety bars, then that's they way to go. If not, I'd recommend learning how to drop the weight safely from your back or front (provided your gym or training area allows this).

The bench press; a spotter is preferred, but if one is not available, DO NOT COLLAR THE WEIGHTS. The logic behind this is that if you can't make a rep, you can just loosen up on one side, let the weight slide off, and that will automatically make the other side hit the ground while elevating the bar away from you. Again, this obviously isn't preferred, but is the safe way to go if you are without a spotter.

Hope this helps.

Mark E. Wallace 04-19-2011 09:41 PM

The Oly lifts are the clean & jerk and the snatch, neither of which you'll be using a spotter for. If you fail on either, you dump the weight. Yes, you'll want bumper plates and a forgiving floor for that.

Always bench w/ a spotter. There are differing opinions on squatting with a spotter and what the spotter's technique should be. Personally, I only ever squat with bumpers on a rubber floor, so I never use a spotter. If a fail a squat, I bail.

Mark

Michael Loucas 04-19-2011 09:57 PM

Yeah, safety bars for a squat rack are a must for someone who lifts alone in their basement. Lets you bench press and squat safely. Debating selling my actual bench press because I never use it, I always just slide a bench under my squat rack.

Joel Steven 04-19-2011 10:31 PM

Thank you guys so much!

Michael Dowling 04-20-2011 09:34 AM

i work out solo and don't use a spotter. always squat in a rack (or have bumpers and ample space behind you to bail) and learn how to bail properly. even for bench at times i'll take the collars off make sure no one is around me so i could dump it if i had to. but pretty much bench once it gets heavy is the only exercise i'll ask someone to spot me for. but really most guys have no clue how to spot properly and would really only be there to call the ambulance after the bar has already dropped on me breaking my sternum or crushin my wind pipe. most guys can't catch a 250 lb barbell with thier fingertips or wrist and arms straight out in front of them anyway.