CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Any point in doing CF only 3 times a week, as part of a "fight fitness" regimen? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43651)

Oleg Zhoglo 03-04-2009 04:15 PM

Any point in doing CF only 3 times a week, as part of a "fight fitness" regimen?

So I've been doing CF for about a year (with some SS breaks in between), I've been getting into Muy Thai and BJJ and starting next week plan to increase my training in those two activities, so I'm thinking this kind of schedule:

Monday
-Muy Thai Sparring 1 hour (Evening)
-Muy Thai Training Session 1.5 hours (Evening)

Tuesday
-Rest

Wednesday
-CF (Morning)
-Jui Jitsu Training Session 1 hour (Evening)

Thursday
-Muy Thai Sparring 1 hour (Evening)
-Muy Thai Training Session 1.5 hours (Evening)

Friday
-CF (Morning)

Saturday
-Jui Jitsu Roll 1.5 hours (Morning)

Sunday
-CF (Morning)

I'm in good shape, but I'm worried that 1 day of rest a week isn't enough- is it better to move one of the CF workouts on a training day and get a 2nd day of rest on Sunday, or should I cut out one of the BJJ/MT days and replace with CF so that I get that 2nd day of rest? My goal with CF is to gain weight and strength- would 3 days a week be enough?

Thanks

Katherine Derbyshire 03-04-2009 05:09 PM

Re: Any point in doing CF only 3 times a week, as part of a "fight fitness" regimen?

I've been seeing progress doing CF only twice a week; you should certainly see benefits from 3x per week.

Four days of serious martial arts training a week is a lot, even without the CF. When I trained that hard, I started to accumulate aches and pains that just didn't have time to heal. YMMV, but in your position I would definitely be alert for signs of overtraining.

How to get more rest? That depends on your goals. If CF is more important than martial arts, dump some of the martial arts training. If martial arts are more important, dump one of the CF classes. Or keep both on the schedule but take extra rest whenever your body tells you it needs it. Whatever you do, be sure to eat enough and get enough sleep.

Katherine

Justin Gibbs 03-04-2009 05:11 PM

Re: Any point in doing CF only 3 times a week, as part of a "fight fitness" regimen?

The answer I'm sure you'll hear again and again is it "depends". Depends on your current fitness level, your diet, sleeping patterns,goals ect, ect.

If i were you I might do something like this:

Mon:crossfit am/bjj pm
tues:crossfit am/mt pm
wend: rest
thurs:crossfit am/ bjj pm
Friday:crossfit am/mt pm
sat: bjj or mt or both
sun: rest

Obviously the above schedule depends on when your gym offers classes but you could switch the thursday to Wednesday or what ever.
Play around see what works. If your burning out I would scale back the crossfit classes (if your focus is fighting) or cut back on the martial arts classes (if your goal is crossfit).

I used to do a schedule very similar to the one above and it worked well for me. Play around try lots of stuff and rest, rest, rest cause you'll need it with that kind of work load.

Brian Lawyer 03-04-2009 05:12 PM

I read an article one time that said this

3 times a week is an ideal workout program. I have no idea how they defined ideal.
2 times a week is only 90% less effective than 3 times a week
1 time a week is enough to maintain.

With regard to the 3 times a week, Rip's starting strength program is the perfect example. 3 days a week is the program prescription but I know from personal experience I have still made gains from 2 x per week and maintained with one day a week following Rip's program.

Richard Doughty 03-04-2009 05:23 PM

i'm sure 3 days a week on top of your mma training would still have benefit
just track your progress and if your seeing work capacity gains youre on the right track

Jakub Kruhlik 03-04-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 533027)
I read an article one time that said this

3 times a week is an ideal workout program. I have no idea how they defined ideal.
2 times a week is only 90% less effective than 3 times a week
1 time a week is enough to maintain.

With regard to the 3 times a week, Rip's starting strength program is the perfect example. 3 days a week is the program prescription but I know from personal experience I have still made gains from 2 x per week and maintained with one day a week following Rip's program.

do you mean 2x a week is only 10% less effective?

Brian Lawyer 03-04-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik (Post 533065)
do you mean 2x a week is only 10% less effective?

Yes that is what I meant sorry. 90% as effective ro 10% less affective.

Steven Low 03-05-2009 06:34 PM

Try it.

If it you can recover from it then go for it.

Performance decreases you might need to cut out a workout here and there.