CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Weightlifting Shoes (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=13791)

Dan Ensing 01-17-2007 10:30 AM

Hello all-

How many of you use Oly weightlifting shoes when you do the Oly lifts? Have you found them to improve your performance on these lifts?

Thanks,

Dan

Jeff Davis 01-17-2007 02:45 PM

Once you lift with them, you wont ever want to lift without them, IMO.

Jimmy Yeh 01-17-2007 04:32 PM

Very good investment. VS athletics sells them for $65.

Jon Gilson 01-17-2007 06:47 PM

Dan,

I bought a pair from VS Athletics a month ago. The difference between weightlifting shoes and sneakers is pronounced.

Landing in the VS boots is fantastic. It feels extraordinarily solid. There's a reason the big boys wear these things.

Spend the $65.

If nothing else, it will give you more motivation to practice your O-lifts.

Best,

Jon

Dan Ensing 01-17-2007 08:40 PM

Cool, thx for the replies. I scraped up some cash and this Friday will be ordering an Oly CrossFit set from Glenn Pendlay. I was looking at the weightlifting shoes he sells and thought about getting them when I placed my order.

I've never trained the Oly lifts on anything but a thick power lifting bar, so it'll be nice to have something w/ a little whip to it.

Dan

Larry Lindenman 01-18-2007 06:07 AM

Dan, until your shoes come in, try a couple lifts in construction boots (or army boots) or dress shoes...you'll feel the diffrence.

Justin Leigh 01-18-2007 07:32 AM

Does anyone just use wrestling shoes as a replacement? I have a couple of old pair and I like to lift in them... how much better are lifting shoes?

Matthew Scoble 01-18-2007 09:06 AM

Justin- I think you would immediately notice a difference using proper lifting shoes. I didn't think I was strong enough, or had good enough technique, for lifting shoes to make a difference. I probably would never have spent the money on them, but I got a pair as a birthday gift last year. The first time I used them was after I had been down with the flu for two weeks & was still sick as a dog. I immediately added 5kg to my best C&J. As other posters have said, once you use them, you'll never go back.

Cheers,
Matt

Michael Lynn 01-18-2007 10:23 AM

How do lifting shoes compare to combat boots or converse all stars?

I have plenty of combat boots, all with thick rubber soles without give, and a pair of chucks, so I'm wondering what the difference is.

-Mike

Arden Cogar Jr. 01-18-2007 10:36 AM

I use OLY lifting shoes for all overhead movements and all OLY lifts. I feel very "rooted" or stable when I use them with explosive movements. I also use them with axle pressing and any thick bar overhead movements.

However, when I deadlift or back squat, I prefer to use Vans Skate board shoes. Which, in principle, are similar to Chuck Taylor's or Converse all stars. I have used wrestling shoes for deadlifts, but I've grown more fond of the high top Vans the past few years. The Vans have a very pliable sole like a wrestling shoe and they mold to the foot like a wrestling shoe. The soles are very soft but thick and pliable. They're completely flat as well - so in those instances, they're different than chuck taylors.

I do not feel as comfortable wearing the Vans or Wrestling shoes when doing OLY lifts.

Don't know if this helps?

all the best,
Arden