CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   First Linda (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=11282)

Michael Cooley 07-23-2006 06:30 AM

Been dreading this day for a while, but I completed my first Linda (scaled) yesterday. Results as follows:

BW: 85kg

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1:
Deadlift: BW (85kg)
Bench Press: sub dips (no bench)
Cleans: .5BW (42.5kg)

The cleans were done as hang cleans from the knees.

The good news: Finished in 25:58. I'm pretty proud of that.

The bad news: I need to add more weight now, don't I?

Andy Shirley 07-24-2006 03:16 AM

More bad news: hang-cleans make Linda a lot easier too. Not that I haven't done it with hang cleans.

Also: from what I hear, full squat cleans make it even more difficult, but I haven't even attempted it with squat cleans. That just makes me cringe.

Matt Gagliardi 07-24-2006 04:58 AM

Andy...no squat cleans? Get with it man! :wink: Seriously though, put the score (low time) aside and do it the hard way. It will pay off in the long run. And yes, it does make it ugly.

Andy Shirley 07-24-2006 05:38 AM

Matt,
I remain hamstrung in several areas due to my lack of shoulder flexibility. Squat cleans remain difficult, as do thrusters. Basically any position where the rack is required. Front squats are usually done with the arms crossed grip. I rationalize it that the strength/leverage gains related to rugby are more important than getting the rack correct in the front squat(I know I am making excuses).

There have been improvements. But I'm starting to wonder if i'm stuck with poor shoulder flexibility. I have made gains in OHS flexibility, but I just can't rest the bar on my delts, and even come close to it with my fingers/hands.(maybe 2/2 my shoulder surgery?)

My most recent Linda's have been one-bar variety, with strict press instead of bench.

hopefully, if my move to Madison happens, I will have motivation to improve my form(Kelly).

(Message edited by vuprop on July 24, 2006)

Matt Gagliardi 07-24-2006 08:40 AM

Yeah, if anything would motivate a person I suspect working with Kelly would do it. Sorry to hear about the flexibility issues, I wish I could give you some "real" pointers on that, but I've been blessed with good flexibility so I've never had to deal with working around/through that.

Keep working at it though...I know there's been stuff I was convinced I'd never be able to do (but decided to bang my head against the wall anyway) and suddenly one day I could do it. You'll get it.

Michael Cooley 07-24-2006 10:53 AM

I might have been unclear. By hang cleans, I meant hang SQUAT cleans -- not hang power cleans. I was definitely taking each rep to rock bottom (heavy o-lifting background).

mpc

Andy Shirley 07-24-2006 06:30 PM

Micheal, well done then. Sorry for the threadjacking.