CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SealFit? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66975)

Josh Phillips 05-06-2011 03:12 PM

SealFit?

Anyone follow there WOD? How does it work? I have looked at there site, and there forum and I'm still just a little lost. Any help would be great. I am just curious about how it works there.

Paul Shortt 05-06-2011 03:24 PM

Re: SealFit?

Their

Sorry, pet hate!

Not sure how you don't get it. It's pretty straightforward.. Just work through from start to end. Google any exercises you don't know and read the notes at the bottom of each WOD. Beware though, overtraining and injury will come easily if you are not already very fit, or you don't scale it dramatically...

Josh Phillips 05-06-2011 03:40 PM

I guess what I don't get is that, on their faq page it talks about mon wed, and fri wods. It goes even further and talks about AM and PM. So are you supposed to do some of it in the morning and some of it in the evening?

Rebecca Roth 05-06-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Phillips (Post 933945)
I guess what I don't get is that, on their faq page it talks about mon wed, and fri wods. It goes even further and talks about AM and PM. So are you supposed to do some of it in the morning and some of it in the evening?

Apparently you lack some reading comprehension, but thats okay.. its not rocket surgery.

Quote:

Monday / Wednesday / Friday WODs:
AM: Range of Motion, Strength and Stamina (can do run here if programmed)
PM: Warm-up, Work Capacity and Durability (can do run here also)
Once a week do the entire WOD in one setting for mental toughness development.
Note you can vary this arrangement as suits your schedule or gym. Some will do Strength/ Stamina one day, followed by the Work Capacity and Durability the next.
Tuesday / Thursday and Saturday WODs:
Do as prescribed, or consider a Crossfit.com (or our affiliate uscrossfit.com) WOD in lieu of the SEALFIT.com WOD.
So for example, today the wod was :
Quote:

FRIDAY, 05.06.11: COMMIT
Baseline: ROM Drills. Run 800M
Strength: 10 - 8 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 3 Back Squat
Stamina: 5 rounds, not timed: 3 x BS @ 90%3RM, 10 x weighted step-ups (2 x 35# DB), 6 x Sprint Starts
Work Capacity: Tabada Time - 20 seconds max effort, 10 seconds rest, 8 rounds of each exercise in order:
Row (Calories)
Squats
Situps
Push-ups
Pull-ups
Durability: 3 mile run @ moderate pace. Active Stretch or Yoga
So as per the outlined procedure, you do the Strength & Stamina wods in the Morning, and then at night you do the Durability & Work Capacity wods.

Dave Traeger 05-06-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth (Post 934021)
Apparently you lack some reading comprehension, but thats okay.. its not rocket surgery.

Maybe it's brain science? :p

Back on topic though, it does look like a pretty hardcore program. Probably not worth attempting to rx sealfit until you've been a Games placer? Eg their 'WOD' the other day was the Games 11.6 Pullup/Thruster ladder, then Murph! :yikes:

Pierre Descoteaux 05-06-2011 09:17 PM

Really, you should aim at doing the WOD in one session. At first, scaling the weight down and/or splitting the WOD is a good idea but it is not the end goal.

Jonathan Yoon 05-07-2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Traeger (Post 934027)
Maybe it's brain science? :p

Back on topic though, it does look like a pretty hardcore program. Probably not worth attempting to rx sealfit until you've been a Games placer? Eg their 'WOD' the other day was the Games 11.6 Pullup/Thruster ladder, then Murph! :yikes:

If you have to be a games placer, there would be even less people doing SealFit. SealFit puts a serious twist to CF and takes ideas from other places (Mark Twight from Gym Jones, Rob Shaul from Military Athlete, etc.) I'd recommend you check out Myth's workout blog. He's done SealFit for quite awhile and from my recollection, has not participated in any of the CF Games despite the fact that he'd be a real contender to scare the crap out of the rest of the field IMO. (WFS - http://projectmythology.blogspot.com)

Adam Dunn 05-07-2011 11:05 AM

I know quite a few guys who do SealFit while deployed and they're by no means Games contenders. They all do the WODs in one session and while some of them are brutal that's kind of the idea. Very effective but you can't realistically keep up that kind of pace long-term unless you're a professional athlete, a genetic freak, or just ridiculously committed to working out, eating, and resting.

Travis Rask 05-07-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon (Post 934062)
If you have to be a games placer, there would be even less people doing SealFit. SealFit puts a serious twist to CF and takes ideas from other places (Mark Twight from Gym Jones, Rob Shaul from Military Athlete, etc.) I'd recommend you check out Myth's workout blog. He's done SealFit for quite awhile and from my recollection, has not participated in any of the CF Games despite the fact that he'd be a real contender to scare the crap out of the rest of the field IMO. (WFS - http://projectmythology.blogspot.com)

Pretty sure Myth competed last year and didn't move past sectionals. Not sure if it was due to injury or performance. I remember looking him up and he didn't place very high in his area.

He's still pretty studly though. I believe he's doing a little OPT Big Dawgs these days as well.

Shane Skowron 05-07-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Traeger (Post 934027)

Not really. It's just that the people who follow Sealfit have superior endurance over the average Crossfitter, or even the best Crossfitters.