CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Carb Back Loading Meal Plan (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77179)

Shane Jensen 08-13-2012 11:32 AM

Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Due to some changes in my schedule here a couple of weeks I've decided that I'm going to attempt carb back loading.

I'm not really interested in people telling me to do it or not to do it, more looking for feedback from people who are doing it or have done it as for if I'm on the right track or not.

I'm following Outlaw, will be working out sometime between 3:30-5:30 or so.

Breakfast
5 Eggs
Handful of Onion
Handful of Spinach
Guacamole
Steamed Vegetables
Coffee

Total: 630 Calories, 35 Fat, 31 Carb, 43 Pro

Lunch
8-10 Oz Meat (In this example I'm using Pork loin, but this may change)
Steamed Vegetables
Almonds
2 Tbsp Olive Oil

Total: 910 Calories, 56 Fat, 22 Carb, 77 Pro

Pre-Workout
AtLarge BCAA's

Total: 25 Cal, 0 Fat, 2 Carb, 5 Pro

Post Workout
2 Scoops Nitrean+

Total: 220 Cal, 2 Fat, 6 Carb, 46 Pro

Dinner
8-10 oz Meat (Again, assuming Pork Loin just for this example)
Large Sweet Potato
2 Apples
4 Tbsp Peanut Butter

Total: 1,220 Cal, 41 Fat, 132 Carb, 83 Pro

Daily Total: ~3,005 Cal, 134 Fat, 193 Carb, 254 Pro

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chris Mason 08-13-2012 11:58 PM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
I'm curious to see how it works for you. How many cals were you eating previously?

Jesse Emers 08-14-2012 01:29 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
I think 2 pieces of fruit at dinner is overkill on the simple sugars. I would have a piece of fruit with the post workout shake for the simple sugars. Also, personally I would replace the dinner fruit with a carb that's slower to absorb, but I don't think it's necessary or as important as my first suggestion.

Shane Jensen 08-14-2012 03:41 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1086099)
I'm curious to see how it works for you. How many cals were you eating previously?

I haven't changed how much I'm going to eat when I do this from what I'm eating currently, all I'm doing is rearranging when I eat some of it.

Bill M. Hesse 08-14-2012 06:07 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
I would add a greater load of the low GI carbs and position the fruit to 1-2 hours before or right after a workout. It will be interesting to see how this treats you.

John C Corona 08-14-2012 06:35 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
I have no idea about this back loading thing...but is removal of 1 apple, or the placement of an apple really going to effect a 190lb male who takes in 3000 cal/day. really? :bonk: Sorry, carry on.

Bill M. Hesse 08-14-2012 07:04 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
In terms of preworkout or faster replacement of glycogen, I figure they make a better before or after workout food. In reality, it is likely his carb intake is inadequate but that is another debate. I will certainly agree that two pieces of fruit aren't going to kill the guy and in fact he could enjoy more if he wanted to. Many folks here are too, "OMG 1g of fructose and my abz were replaced by 8% more BF!!!!!" It makes me laugh sometimes.

Shane Jensen 08-14-2012 08:25 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1086131)
I would add a greater load of the low GI carbs

Anything in particular that you'd recommend?

I'm probably going to try what I've laid out at least for a few weeks, but if it doesn't work in a manner that satisfies me I'm always interested in other ideas to try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1086157)
In terms of preworkout or faster replacement of glycogen, I figure they make a better before or after workout food.

That's kind of what I've been doing. I eat fruit with my breakfast, and then some in the afternoon either pre-workout (if I workout late) or just as a snack (if I workout early). I don't feel like I limit myself its just how much I eat.

I don't really expect this to be a magic bullet, but I've read a little bit about it and like I said in the first post it fits my upcoming schedule well.

Just trying to make sure that I'm implementing it in the manner that its supposed to be.

Chris Mason 08-14-2012 09:47 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Jensen (Post 1086112)
I haven't changed how much I'm going to eat when I do this from what I'm eating currently, all I'm doing is rearranging when I eat some of it.

Ok, perfect. I'm very interested to see how it goes for you. Please keep me updated either here or via PM.

Chris Mason 08-14-2012 09:49 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Jensen (Post 1086190)
Anything in particular that you'd recommend?

I'm probably going to try what I've laid out at least for a few weeks, but if it doesn't work in a manner that satisfies me I'm always interested in other ideas to try.



That's kind of what I've been doing. I eat fruit with my breakfast, and then some in the afternoon either pre-workout (if I workout late) or just as a snack (if I workout early). I don't feel like I limit myself its just how much I eat.

I don't really expect this to be a magic bullet, but I've read a little bit about it and like I said in the first post it fits my upcoming schedule well.

Just trying to make sure that I'm implementing it in the manner that its supposed to be.


Do exactly what you proposed for at least a month and see what happens. Your body may need some time to adapt, so switching after only a couple of weeks is not a good idea.

Bill M. Hesse 08-14-2012 10:11 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Jensen (Post 1086190)
Anything in particular that you'd recommend?

I'm probably going to try what I've laid out at least for a few weeks, but if it doesn't work in a manner that satisfies me I'm always interested in other ideas to try.



That's kind of what I've been doing. I eat fruit with my breakfast, and then some in the afternoon either pre-workout (if I workout late) or just as a snack (if I workout early). I don't feel like I limit myself its just how much I eat.

I don't really expect this to be a magic bullet, but I've read a little bit about it and like I said in the first post it fits my upcoming schedule well.

Just trying to make sure that I'm implementing it in the manner that its supposed to be.

Love me some tubers. I eat brown rice, but the Paleo Gods would strike me down for that. Most berries are good to go. Yams are eatable in greater quantities if you choose to.

Shane Jensen 08-14-2012 11:11 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
I know berries are fine. I just don't feel like buying them a lot of the time.

If I was going to up my carbs I prefer bananas or cans of pumpkin which I buy anyway from time to time just for variety.

Not really a fan of rice, not because it isn't "paleo" more just because I don't really like it.

Shane Jensen 08-14-2012 11:31 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mason (Post 1086214)
Ok, perfect. I'm very interested to see how it goes for you. Please keep me updated either here or via PM.

Would be happy to. I'll be shifting to this on Monday the 27th.

John C Corona 08-14-2012 11:55 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Jensen (Post 1086236)
If I was going to up my carbs I prefer bananas or cans of pumpkin which I buy anyway from time to time just for variety.

I never had canned pumpkin unless it went into a pie. Does it have added sugar usually? How do you eat it, just plain? I will check the cans today at the store, but wondering how you like it.

Shane Jensen 08-14-2012 12:17 PM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
The stuff that I don't buy doesn't have any sugar added, its just Libby's pumpkin pure.

I do it a couple of different ways. I'll mix it up with cinnamon and some almonds usually at the bare minimum if I'm eating it post workout or if I'm at an event.

Or I've got a kind of pudding that I'll blend up with a can of pumpkin, a banana or an apple, some peanut butter, a couple scoops of protein, and a whole bunch of cinnamon which is awesome but is generally limited to when I'm at home.

Bill M. Hesse 08-14-2012 12:38 PM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
That sounds amazing!

FWIW I don't like rice either, but it makes a good food I can make a lot of and take to school.

John C Corona 08-14-2012 07:28 PM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Jensen (Post 1086260)
Or I've got a kind of pudding that I'll blend up with a can of pumpkin, a banana or an apple, some peanut butter, a couple scoops of protein, and a whole bunch of cinnamon which is awesome but is generally limited to when I'm at home.

OMG that sounds epic.:bowdown:

Eric Conway 10-08-2012 09:54 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quick question on your diet plan as I was looking into doing this as well and have researched it a bunch. Did you do the Atkins/South Beach style diet for the first 10 days where you ate less than 30g of cabs? If so, how did that affect your trainng? From my understanding of the backloading diet, you want 1g of carbs per pound of bodyweight which you are looking pretty good in your meal plan. And most of those carbs coming at dinner after working out, assumming your training in the late afternoon/early evening which you are. But contrary to what other pretty are saying here, according to what I've have read on the diet you want to eat higher glycemic foods because you want a higher insulin response. So I would switch the sweet potato with a white one and he apples with bananas.

Shane Jensen 10-09-2012 03:44 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Conway (Post 1099432)
Did you do the Atkins/South Beach style diet for the first 10 days where you ate less than 30g of cabs?

No.

I've been eating the way that I've laid out for the past five weeks or so. Honestly haven't noticed anything particularly special in one direction or the other. Don't know if thats because I'm "doing it wrong."

Whether I am or not though, I'm going to keep rolling like this for the time being. I like eating my carbs at night.

Eric Conway 10-09-2012 10:15 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
I agree. I think your meal lan looks pretty good. I would takeout one of the apples and add it to the post work out shake. But if your having dinner within an hour after training, it really doesn't matter.

Caine Peters 10-09-2012 10:08 PM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane Jensen (Post 1099625)
No.

I've been eating the way that I've laid out for the past five weeks or so. Honestly haven't noticed anything particularly special in one direction or the other. Don't know if thats because I'm "doing it wrong."

Whether I am or not though, I'm going to keep rolling like this for the time being. I like eating my carbs at night.

Its wrong, CBL is not paleo at all, you eat ANY high gi food yes that includes the oh so scary rice, stay clear of clean, goal is to spike insulin at all means! What your doing here is Renegade diet by ferrugia, by the way if your CBL your suppose to skip the breakfast and no fiberous foods in the evening, for that to work you also suppose to do 10 days no carb or under 30, i even ditched the veggies and took a multi, stupid or not it seem to of worked

Thats probs why you havnt realised much, id do a bit more study on it my friend, and if your doing clean lots of white potato, sweet tato brown bananas etc

Joseph Smyth 10-10-2012 08:27 AM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Has anyone mentioned that in the CBL book, Kiefer specifically talks about how CBL is NOT designed to be used with CrossFit type workouts? He seems to be saying that the mechanism that makes CBL work (and not just make you get fat) doesn't occur biologically the same way when your workout is more endurance based than pure strength. Of course that line is pretty blurry, but I have heard him try to define it a little better in interviews, etc.

Caine Peters 10-10-2012 06:33 PM

Re: Carb Back Loading Meal Plan
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Smyth (Post 1099937)
Has anyone mentioned that in the CBL book, Kiefer specifically talks about how CBL is NOT designed to be used with CrossFit type workouts? He seems to be saying that the mechanism that makes CBL work (and not just make you get fat) doesn't occur biologically the same way when your workout is more endurance based than pure strength. Of course that line is pretty blurry, but I have heard him try to define it a little better in interviews, etc.

Look up glut4 translocation heavy weights is key at
This and thus why you need to backload


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.