CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Clapping pull-ups (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=15963)

Ben Kaminski 08-09-2005 03:31 PM

Today I acquired the clapping pull-up. I can do several in a single hang from the bar, but need to work on timing in order to rhythmically crank them out. After playing with this, I did yesterday's WOD with the 80+ pullups. After the second set, I had to take a short break. I tore four callouses, and had to tape them up to finish the WOD.

Suffice to say that the catch in the clapping pullup can be a little tough on the hands.

Scott Kustes 08-09-2005 04:08 PM

I've seen Barry Cooper attempt these, but never have myself. I've got a feeling that the catch would be hard on my chin.

Joshua Newman 08-10-2005 05:24 AM

I've been working these a fair amount as well.

The key to getting them, and to chaining them together, is kipping like a madman. You really need to explosively swing to get enough height for the clap.

Which, in turn, improves your kip on non-clapping pullups - or, at least, it has for me. I'd say they're definitely worth the time.

Chris Forbis 08-10-2005 07:05 AM

I haven't gotten a nice resounding clap sound yet, though I have gotten my hands to make contact.

And yes, the catch is brutal on the hands.

Nic Nakis 08-10-2005 08:11 AM

Awesome. I will try it today at CF North.

How about behind-the-back clap pushups?

Don Stevenson 08-10-2005 08:35 AM

After reading this I had to go try it!

I'm in the same position as Chris, I got my fingers to touch but no good clap.

I will have to try these on a better pullup bar though because my home bar is a little low and its hard to get a good kip. I think on a decent bar i could get it.

My bar also makes funny grinding noises as i land and i fear pulling it out of its hallway mounts.

Nic Nakis 08-10-2005 08:44 PM

I did a strong set of 20 today, with noisy claps. Felt awesome.

I almost think I could do more clapping than regular...

Nic Nakis 08-13-2005 03:44 PM

Did 20 again today, got a bunch of others to try it too. Good fun. Video coming soon.

Steven Stackpole 08-13-2005 06:47 PM

clapping pull-ups
LOL
crazy

Eric Cimrhanzel 08-13-2005 08:35 PM

Beautiful movement. I can't get more than a single yet, but I said that about bar muscle-ups, and three weeks later, I got triples right and left.

This will be a fun one to work, except for my hands getting ripped to shreds.

Nic Nakis 08-15-2005 09:02 AM

I started doing them on doorframes too.

Nic Nakis 08-16-2005 09:43 PM

I almost got a succesful behind-the-back-clap-pullup today. I **** you not. 3 inches away.

Ben Krey 08-17-2005 08:05 AM

Nic, I think you should punch yourself in the face between pullups... that I would be impressed with!!!

good job with all the hard work.

Jeremy Jones 08-18-2005 04:54 PM

LOL!

I love clapping pull ups. I was trying to get one where you start overhand, and then clap with one hand still over and one hand around to the other side of the bar, and then back to both hands to overhand grip before catching.

I did't even start attempting these until Mike M. had me going from the regular pull up bar up to the rotating large dia bar at HQ (about 12" above).

Nic Nakis 08-18-2005 09:25 PM

Maybe double-clap pullups is next... this old guy at the park challenged me to do those yesterday and I couldn't. I feel inferior.

Andrew Gray 08-18-2005 10:26 PM

I tried doing a clap pullup yesterday. It was a horrible mistake! I tried it on a bar stuck inside a door frame. After the clap when I was going for the catch I slamed my knuckles on the top of the door frame. This caused me to half miss the catch and tweak my fingers even more. Fingers were in some serious pain. That being said, I can't wait to try these somewhere safer for my hands.

Ed Ryan 09-05-2005 05:26 AM

Someone has got to get a video up of these. It would entertain all who watch. I am trying these tomorrow.

Nic Nakis 09-05-2005 09:16 AM

I've got a video coming, so don't worry.

Ed Ryan 09-09-2005 03:09 AM

Just did some for the first time today. I did about 15, just to see if I could. These are fun. Tried the behind-the-back pull-ups. Ooohh, those will take some work. Whats up with the video man? I want to see some behind-the-backers!