CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   best combo. starting strength and crossfit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36345)

Dave Taylor 08-27-2008 12:04 PM

best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
I was wondering if there have been any thoughts on the best way to combine ss and crossfit to improve strength, i am 28 5'9" and 165, my strength has gotten alot better with crossfit, but i would like to see a little more in my ability to squat or DL, i am at a 335 max on DL and in the 25 range for squat.

Scott Borre 08-27-2008 12:11 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
Yep. Many have and its in many of the starting strength posts, and Rippetoe himself has commented on it. Do SS and add 1 day of CF WOD per week. That's the standard advice.

Brian Bedell 08-27-2008 12:17 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
What about Gant's hybrid program?

Jamie J. Skibicki 08-27-2008 12:24 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
Or Brandon Oto's, or jeff martin's, or performance menu

Brandon Oto 08-27-2008 01:26 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
IMO you're still at the novice stages of strength (late novice, but still). Therefore a committed strength program such as SS, possibly with a bit of metcon to keep you sharp, is a better bet than a wholly "blended" program like those mentioned. My program is strictly for intermediates and above; Gant's is doable for novices but not as fast as SS; PM is focused on OL.

I'd get on SS, drink your milk, add some metcon if you insist and can survive it.

Adam Scheiner 08-27-2008 06:14 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Oto (Post 386889)
IMO you're still at the novice stages of strength (late novice, but still). Therefore a committed strength program such as SS, possibly with a bit of metcon to keep you sharp, is a better bet than a wholly "blended" program like those mentioned. My program is strictly for intermediates and above; Gant's is doable for novices but not as fast as SS; PM is focused on OL.

I'd get on SS, drink your milk, add some metcon if you insist and can survive it.

Brandon,
Looking at Gant's template for the intermediate/advanced I noticed that it is very similar to PM. Is the difference in the program just that the Hybrid is more about the heavy metcons with the added third day being dedicated to strength?
-Adam

Brandon Oto 08-27-2008 06:31 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
The PM WoD is a complex, macro-programmed schedule of Olympic lifting and supplementary work, plus just enough metcon to keep you from rolling out the door. Its purpose is improved snatch and clean and jerk numbers.

Gant should answer with regards to his program, but I would say it's a mixture of elements with an emphasis on strength as the driver of other gains, and its purpose is GPP.

Jeff Martin 08-27-2008 07:00 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
Dave how long have you been a committed CrossFitter. How many days a week and so forth. I believe before people start giving you advice maybe they should get some background.
By the way, I'm 5'10" 165 and 49 years old. I pulled 300 x 20 this week, and did Linda in 19:30. My son who is 150 pounds and 16 did a CFT this week and got 790 and turned around the same day did 1/2 Angie in 5:03. It is possible to work both strength and metcon.

Cormac O'Connor 08-27-2008 08:44 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Martin (Post 387163)
Dave how long have you been a committed CrossFitter. How many days a week and so forth. I believe before people start giving you advice maybe they should get some background.
By the way, I'm 5'10" 165 and 49 years old. I pulled 300 x 20 this week, and did Linda in 19:30. My son who is 150 pounds and 16 did a CFT this week and got 790 and turned around the same day did 1/2 Angie in 5:03. It is possible to work both strength and metcon.

Great point, Jeff (and thank you so much for all the awesome free scaled workouts).

I guess we also need to know what Dave is prepared to get worse at while working in SS. Is he prepared to see his 400m time go down while potentially getting the gains he wants in his DL?

The eternal dilemma on these boards seems to be chasing both strength and metcon simultaneously, with an increasing tendency to view Crossfit as a pure metcon option. If you're getting stronger on Crossfit, and you like Crossfit and everything else it brings you, you might well consider just continuing with Crossfit unless you have a powerlifting meet coming up or something.

Adam Scheiner 08-27-2008 08:53 PM

Re: best combo. starting strength and crossfit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Oto (Post 387145)
The PM WoD is a complex, macro-programmed schedule of Olympic lifting and supplementary work, plus just enough metcon to keep you from rolling out the door. Its purpose is improved snatch and clean and jerk numbers.

Gant should answer with regards to his program, but I would say it's a mixture of elements with an emphasis on strength as the driver of other gains, and its purpose is GPP.

I know PM is more about the Oly lifts, but I was just thinking it was similar as far as the layout of
1) Oly lift movement
then:
2)strength movement
then:
3)short metcon

and then the 3rd day (Hybrid) is a strength day.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.