CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gslp (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68627)

Dan Bonitatibus 07-10-2011 06:09 PM

Gslp

I have been seeing a lot of this lately. Was just wondering what exactly is it and does anyone have a link where I could read more about it.

Andrew Bell 07-10-2011 06:17 PM

Re: Gslp

It stands for GreySkull Linear Progression. You can check out the forms, or buy the book from THIS SITE (much of the site is NOT wfs)

David Meverden 07-10-2011 06:31 PM

It is a program somewhat similar to and largely inspired by the Starting Strength novice routine, but altered for the intention of not needing major weight gain for success.

A notable difference is that instead of 3 sets of 5 reps GSLP uses 2x5, and 1x5+. On your last set you go for as many reps as possible with good form. This has benefits of giving more feedback regarding progress, making resets more interesting (and possibly more worthwhile).

Program is summarized in a message board post located here: http://strengthvillain.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89 (WFS, except for some language in print and scary lookin' background pictures).
Quote:

Monday
Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Bench/ or Press 2x5, 1x 5+
Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
Deadlift 1x 5+ (with or without power cleans as warmups)
Neck Harness

Friday
Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness
The E-Book expands on the above program and has suggestions for all kinds of add ins: volume training for pushups, adding conditioning, adding elements to help with fat loss, etc. E-Book can be purchased at their E-Store here: http://strengthvillain.com/?page_id=20 (WFS mostly. Same cautions as last website link).

Adam Dunn 07-10-2011 09:31 PM

Can anyone comment on the usefulness/necessity of doing 3 days of neck harness work on GSLP? Honestly the only guys I've ever seen doing dedicated neck work are football linemen and huge meatheads at the globo. Haven't ponied up the cash to read the e-book but looking for some free advise since I haven't seen neck work in other strength or S&C programs (70s big which I have done for a little while, SS, etc.).

Andrew Bell 07-10-2011 10:43 PM

Here is a thread that has some excel templetes that you can down load to follow the program that will tell you exactly what to load on the bar. I think it's a good power building program.

http://strengthvillain.com/forum/vie...&t=816&start=0 (not wfs - language)

I bought the book and liked it. I would have no problem following this program if my heart wasn't more into oly lifting right now....

Struan Potter 07-11-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Dunn (Post 958805)
Can anyone comment on the usefulness/necessity of doing 3 days of neck harness work on GSLP? Honestly the only guys I've ever seen doing dedicated neck work are football linemen and huge meatheads at the globo. Haven't ponied up the cash to read the e-book but looking for some free advise since I haven't seen neck work in other strength or S&C programs (70s big which I have done for a little while, SS, etc.).

A strong neck is a safer neck.

David Meverden 07-11-2011 08:03 AM

My interpretation on the neck harness:

1) The programmer is trying to fill in gaps in rippetoe's novice program. SS has little bicep work, and basically no neck work. Zach Evetts is an example of someone who gained 75 lbs working with rip (165-240) in around 6 months and his neck is still pretty scrawny. Some neck work would have been a good idea.

2) Grayskull wants their people to LOOK strong, not just be strong. One way to look strong is a big meat neck. It's the only muscle you can show off while wearing a suit.

Quinn Walkley 07-11-2011 12:04 PM

GLSP also incorporates conditioning into their programming, similar to 70's big. I am going to be giving it a go come mid August and see where it takes me.

Brian Carver 07-11-2011 04:26 PM

I think of Greyskull as a linear version of 5/3/1. I think it's better for rank novices than 5/3/1, and I prefer it to the Starting Strength linear progression for most purposes. You don't deadlift as often and there are no power cleans, which make it easier to coach if you can't watch an athlete every day.

A strong neck is very important for anyone who wishes their head to remain attached to their body.

David Strand 07-13-2011 09:34 PM

Can someone give me either their own personal explaination of the Frequency Method aspect of it, or, if its there, simply link me to the part in the forum discussion where it is covered? After reading through 20+ pages of discussion, I haven't seen it. Maybe its further in, or maybe I just suffered eye fatigue. Either way, I'm trying to avoid buying the E-Book at the moment, though its looking more andmore like I'm going to end up doing it....

Its also harder to get knocked out if you have a stronger neck. Speaking of which, are neck harnasses common? I haven't seen them at any of the gyms I've ever been to, and the link to making one home made in the forum is the first I think I've heard of them.

Andrew Bell 07-13-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Strand (Post 960301)
Its also harder to get knocked out if you have a stronger neck. Speaking of which, are neck harnasses common? I haven't seen them at any of the gyms I've ever been to, and the link to making one home made in the forum is the first I think I've heard of them.

I am thinking about getting one from here:
http://www.prowriststraps.com/

If I were to buy one today it would actually be this model:
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/248403

If you sign up for the news letter you get 10% off. ;)

The frequency method is explained in the ebook. It's actually the first ebook I have bought. I really would like his conditioning book as well but I'm not willing to shell out the cash for it. If I read right, some time this year or next he is going to release all these ebooks as one big super e-novel. It will have the conditioning book, the LP book, Swole, etc. Don't quote me on that though.

(links are wfs)

Dan Graziano 07-14-2011 08:46 AM

I have had 3 chiropractors over the past 6 years and have yet to hear anything positive form using a neck harness. In fact, they all said it does more harm than good and you are not supposed to put load on the neck like that. This all stems from my first chiro I trained at a gym when looking at middle aged men maxing out the hammer strength 3 way neck machine.

Brian Carver 07-14-2011 08:50 AM

I'm not sure why neck training isn't more common around crossfit. Having a strong neck is at least as 'functional' as most anything else that's done around here, and is very important from a safety standpoint. Training for the 'unknown and unknowable' (or whatever the saying is) should at least prepare you to take a shot to the head, be that from a foot, fist or something falling from a high shelf, etc.

Coming from a football/wrestling/rugby background, I've always trained my neck. It doesn't take a lot of time or energy, and you get a lot of reward for relatively little effort.

Aushion Chatman 07-14-2011 03:04 PM

Started doing neck work after Anson posted this a while back...

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...Iowa+wrestling (WFS)

John McEneany 07-14-2011 03:56 PM

The Ironmind neck harness has the reputation for being the very best.

(WFS) http://ironmind-store.com/A-Headstra...ductinfo/1232/

Travis Rask 07-15-2011 08:05 PM

I have this neck harness:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=3066 (WFS)

Works just fine.

Travis Rask 07-15-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Strand (Post 960301)
Can someone give me either their own personal explaination of the Frequency Method aspect of it, or, if its there, simply link me to the part in the forum discussion where it is covered? After reading through 20+ pages of discussion, I haven't seen it. Maybe its further in, or maybe I just suffered eye fatigue. Either way, I'm trying to avoid buying the E-Book at the moment, though its looking more andmore like I'm going to end up doing it....

What I've done...

Started with:

5 x 10 pushups

5 x 5 pullups

Added 1 rep/day on the pushups, 1 per week on the pullups (very strict, no kipping whatsoever).

Today I'm up to 22 pushups, am on hiatus on pullups until I get a bar installed in my new place (hopefully next week).

All sets should be sub maximal. If you get to a point where you're reaching maximal effort, keep the reps the same and add another set.

There is a lot of information if you do a search on the Strength Villain forum.

Travis Rask 07-15-2011 08:09 PM

GSLP is a great program, by the way.

I've had a hard time getting regular workouts in this past month, and with this program I've consistently managed to get stronger on my hypertrophy sets almost every week.

The only thing that has struggled is my squat, but that is a whole nother story and an issue that should be alleviated now that I'm moved into my new place and have my home box set up.

Scott Walters 08-06-2011 09:17 PM

Anyone else actually used gslp, especially those who have done ss as well? I would love to hear your experiences

Brian Carver 08-06-2011 09:35 PM

What would you like to know?

Travis Rask 08-07-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Walters (Post 971553)
Anyone else actually used gslp, especially those who have done ss as well? I would love to hear your experiences

I've done both.

SS+GOMAD Work set Results (March-May 2011):

Squat: 135---> 315
Bench: 115--->205
Press: 65--->115
DL: 135--->315

GSLP Current AMRAP Numbers*:

Squat: 285 x 12
Bench: 195 x 12
Press: 130 x 6
DL: 300 x 12 / Hex Bar 345 x 6

Starting Strength was a kick @ss program for me. I took a week off before any resets and ended up killing my progress. Having to do a reset after returning was a big mind-eff for me. Decided to switch to GSLP.

I've been doing GSLP for a few months now. To be honest I haven't been super consistent. But the value of the program is the AMRAP set and the Greyskull reset. Every time you reset...your hypertrophy/AMRAP sets keep getting better.

I would say GSLP is far superior to SS, and so far the best of any programming I've ever done (CF, SealFit, OPT Big Dawgs, Military Athlete). You still make good, sustainable strength gains, with all the benefits of conditioning, frequency method, etc. added in.

When I was on SS any physical activity outside of my lifts was sacrilege. GSLP is very flexible, and encourages conditioning and recreation in general.

Even with half-@ssing it (it's been a busy summer) with regards to lifts and diet, all my AMRAP sets have consistently gone up during my resets.

With exception to my squat (which I'm still regaining after my snafu in May), I'm making consistent gains in all my lifts; all are consistently stronger than my SS numbers, without GOMAD.

If I were to make a very self educated guess, I'd say my current numbers (in SS format) are:

Squat: 295 / 3 x 5 (Should be back up to 315 by end of September)
DL: 345 / 1 x 5
Bench: 215 / 3 x 5
Press: 135 / 3 x 5

I've also been doing FM, and am working on Villain Challenge #1. FM pullups are 5 x 6; pushups are up to 5 x 31. Furthermore, I've started to regain my conditioning along the way. All with no guilt.

I highly recommend GSLP. Great program. SS is great, and establishes a great baseline...it just left me a little too fat and a little too winded at work (firefighter). I would suggest it, but would strongly suggest moving on to GSLP as soon as you hit your first reset.

Eric Montgomery 08-07-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

I've done GSLP for about 3 months now after doing the following stuff over the last 3 years: CF.com, CFSD programming, 70s Big S&C, OPT, 20 rep squats, and OPT again. I like GSLP the best of any program I've done so far. Great strength gains and I've managed to make them without having to eat 6000 calories a day and while staying much leaner than I did on 70s Big. Plus the volume is manageable and I don't feel beat up or rundown all the time, and the 5+ sets make things just plain fun. It's a very adaptable program as well--you can go with several different variants of it and add plug-ins based on your specific goals, modify it to 2x a week as opposed to 3x if you are limited on time or want to focus on conditioning, etc.

Andy Gann 08-07-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 971628)
I've done GSLP for about 3 months now after doing the following stuff over the last 3 years: CF.com, CFSD programming, 70s Big S&C, OPT, 20 rep squats, and OPT again. I like GSLP the best of any program I've done so far. Great strength gains and I've managed to make them without having to eat 6000 calories a day and while staying much leaner than I did on 70s Big. Plus the volume is manageable and I don't feel beat up or rundown all the time, and the 5+ sets make things just plain fun. It's a very adaptable program as well--you can go with several different variants of it and add plug-ins based on your specific goals, modify it to 2x a week as opposed to 3x if you are limited on time or want to focus on conditioning, etc.

we've done literally the same thing except that mine has been for 18 - 20 months ... I've been on GSLP since February.

Since starting GSLP I've added over 50#s to my squat sets and I'm on the last hole in my weight belt (3 inches thinner). Plus I've broken through plateaus on bench/press by using frequency method push ups All my friends who haven't seen me for months are talking about how yoked i am from the neck harness ... they can't believe it.

You know - I watched a wendler vid on youtube today and he said something that just rings true. [paraphrased] - sets and reps don't matter .. just squat, push, and pull and remain consistent for long periods of time..... gold

Eric Montgomery 08-07-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Gann (Post 971640)
we've done literally the same thing except that mine has been for 18 - 20 months ... I've been on GSLP since February.

Since starting GSLP I've added over 50#s to my squat sets and I'm on the last hole in my weight belt (3 inches thinner). Plus I've broken through plateaus on bench/press by using frequency method push ups All my friends who haven't seen me for months are talking about how yoked i am from the neck harness ... they can't believe it.

You know - I watched a wendler vid on youtube today and he said something that just rings true. [paraphrased] - sets and reps don't matter .. just squat, push, and pull and remain consistent for long periods of time..... gold

Yep, I went to see some people from my previous job last week just before I moved away, and they seriously thought I'd gained 20lbs of muscle in the last 3 months. I've only gained 2lbs. The neck work and weighted chins and curls do lots of good things for size and strength, not to mention the fact that heavy benching and pressing will build powerful shoulders and arms.

Andy Gann 08-07-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 971643)
Yep, I went to see some people from my previous job last week just before I moved away, and they seriously thought I'd gained 20lbs of muscle in the last 3 months. I've only gained 2lbs. The neck work and weighted chins and curls do lots of good things for size and strength, not to mention the fact that heavy benching and pressing will build powerful shoulders and arms.

I don't step on the scale much but I did the a few weeks ago and was up 10# from what I was in january but i'm leaner in the belly... It's funny the older pants that I used to wear before SS/Gomad now fit in the waist but my azz and thighs are nearly ripping the seams apart. Oh and yeah - the curls rock ... arms and chest definitely look better with more muscle. :-)

Will Feber 08-07-2011 11:17 AM

So for gslp works nicely for me with deadlifts and squats, but I have a though time with bp and ohp. The reps in the last set slowly go down. What could be done to help that? I work in an office, so frequency method pushups is not really an option? Triceps extensions?

Michael Bullock 08-07-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Feber (Post 971663)
So for gslp works nicely for me with deadlifts and squats, but I have a though time with bp and ohp. The reps in the last set slowly go down. What could be done to help that? I work in an office, so frequency method pushups is not really an option? Triceps extensions?

Set before work, set at start of lunch, another at end of lunch, set when you get home, and a set before bed. 5 sets and only 2 during work. Surely no one would complain about that...

Eric Montgomery 08-07-2011 11:45 AM

The 5+ reps will slowly go down as the weight goes up--I started doing 8-9 in my 5+ sets, then it gradually became 6-7, then I've been hitting 3x5 for my last few bench days and finally stalled at 5-5-3 on my last press day. That's what the 10% resets are for, you'll come back getting more reps than your previous times at those weights. Are you making smaller weight jumps on press and bench than you do on squat and deadlift? Keep in mind a 5lb jump on a 150lb press is twice as much (proportionally) as a 5lb jump on a 300lb squat or deadlift.

If you can't do a few pushups during the day, how would you be able to do triceps extensions seeing how they require weights? You don't have to get fancy with the pushups, just do a set right when you wake up, do a set before you leave home, then another 1-2 sets after you get home from work. The sets can be anytime throughout the day.

Will Feber 08-07-2011 11:51 AM

Yeah, I'm adding 1kg on the press and bench press every time. So no big jumps. I think the upper body is just my weakness.

I obviously wouldn't do triceps extensions in the office ;) I was thinking about doing them after the squat or deadlift.

But yeah, will try to squeeze in a set or two during work. Good idea.

Michael Bullock 08-07-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 971628)

I did 70's Big end of last year and made decent gains but eventually hit a wall when I couldn't eat enough and didn't want to go full GOMAD due to the extra fatty weight it brings along with it. What's different about GSLP that doesn't require the big calorie increase?

How much conditioning are you 'allowed' in the program? I'd like to maintain my current level of conditioning while making strength gains. Are the met-cons like that of 70's Big, short and heavy?

Eric Montgomery 08-07-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bullock (Post 971672)
I did 70's Big end of last year and made decent gains but eventually hit a wall when I couldn't eat enough and didn't want to go full GOMAD due to the extra fatty weight it brings along with it. What's different about GSLP that doesn't require the big calorie increase?

How much conditioning are you 'allowed' in the program? I'd like to maintain my current level of conditioning while making strength gains. Are the met-cons like that of 70's Big, short and heavy?

I can't identify a single correct answer, but I think it's some combination of the 5+ sets, the slightly decreased lifting volume as compared to 70s Big, the slower and more gradual weight jumps, and the increased recovery time due to the lower training volume. I haven't really changed anything in terms of rest, nutrition, lifestyle factors, etc. vs what I did on 70s Big so I think it's due to those factors.

The basic GSLP program has 2 conditioning workouts per week though you can augment that quite a bit by doing the burpee challenge...basically using FM burpees to work up to being able to do 100 burpees in under 5 minutes. Guidelines for conditioning workouts are similar to CFFB or 70s Big--short (no more than 10-12 minutes), intense, and non-technical movements. Keep things simple but brutal and don't do stuff that'll mess up recovery from your lifting or leave you sore on your next lift day.

Michael Bullock 08-07-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 971673)
I can't identify a single correct answer, but I think it's some combination of the 5+ sets, the slightly decreased lifting volume as compared to 70s Big, the slower and more gradual weight jumps, and the increased recovery time due to the lower training volume. I haven't really changed anything in terms of rest, nutrition, lifestyle factors, etc. vs what I did on 70s Big so I think it's due to those factors.

The basic GSLP program has 2 conditioning workouts per week though you can augment that quite a bit by doing the burpee challenge...basically using FM burpees to work up to being able to do 100 burpees in under 5 minutes. Guidelines for conditioning workouts are similar to CFFB or 70s Big--short (no more than 10-12 minutes), intense, and non-technical movements. Keep things simple but brutal and don't do stuff that'll mess up recovery from your lifting or leave you sore on your next lift day.

So one needs to still eat lots...? I try to eat fairly clean and having problems getting more than about 2,800 to 3,000 calories without eating all day long or doing something like 1/2 GOMAD.....

Eric Montgomery 08-07-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bullock (Post 971676)
So one needs to still eat lots...? I try to eat fairly clean and having problems getting more than about 2,800 to 3,000 calories without eating all day long or doing something like 1/2 GOMAD.....

Correction--I meant nothing has changed in terms of supplementation.

I was eating in the neighborhood of 6000 calories a day (including GOMAD) on 70s Big and am probably more in the neighborhood of 4000-4500 on GSLP. Not having to eat to the point of discomfort anymore, which has led to more gradual (and leaner) weight gains than the 35lbs I gained in 2.5 months on 70s Big with GOMAD.

Now instead of GOMAD between meals I add in a few oats and whey shakes a day, they're much easier to stomach and don't pack the get-fat punch of all the lactose and IGF-1 and whatnot that's in milk. And are only about 300-500 calories per compared to 2600 in a gallon of milk.

Michael Bullock 08-07-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 971679)
Correction--I meant nothing has changed in terms of supplementation.

I was eating in the neighborhood of 6000 calories a day (including GOMAD) on 70s Big and am probably more in the neighborhood of 4000-4500 on GSLP. Not having to eat to the point of discomfort anymore, which has led to more gradual (and leaner) weight gains than the 35lbs I gained in 2.5 months on 70s Big with GOMAD.

Now instead of GOMAD between meals I add in a few oats and whey shakes a day, they're much easier to stomach and don't pack the get-fat punch of all the lactose and IGF-1 and whatnot that's in milk. And are only about 300-500 calories per compared to 2600 in a gallon of milk.

What kind of oats? I've been drinking At Large's Post Workout Shake after my workout and then 1 of his protein shakes later in the day. I usually just mix them with water but thought about using milk with the PWO one to increase the calories a bit....

Alex Carey 08-07-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

I'm only 3 weeks into the GSLP but from what I've experienced so far, I'm very impressed. I was previously following the CFFB Amateur LP and my squat kept getting stuck at 265. I could never get past 5,2,1, even after a few resets.

Enter GSLP. I started squatting at 245, and the AMRAP set surprised me each time. The 5th rep on the 2nd set always felt tough. But every time I'd hit 5 on that AMRAP set, the reps just kept coming. It really made the mental game much easier every following squat day, knowing I didn't just squeak through on that last set, but I crushed it. Just two days ago, my first time taking on 265 since CFFB, I repped out 12 on the AMRAP set.

All my lifts have been improving, but I use squat as my example because I haven't gotten to my previously stalled weights on my other lifts yet - that's next week. I would recommend GSLP to anybody looking to get stronger and maintain their conditioning. Not only am I getting stronger, I haven't made any significant changes to diet, sleep, etc, and I feel like I'm recovering much better following a M/W/F lifting schedule, with conditioning on Wed and Sat.

If you're interested, you can check out my log: http://strengthvillain.com/forum/vie...hp?f=11&t=2269 (wfs)

Eric Montgomery 08-07-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bullock (Post 971701)
What kind of oats? I've been drinking At Large's Post Workout Shake after my workout and then 1 of his protein shakes later in the day. I usually just mix them with water but thought about using milk with the PWO one to increase the calories a bit....

Plain old Quaker or store brand quick oats. At Whole Foods I think they are about $.69 a pound. Let them soak in water for a few minutes and they're drinkable. A PWO blend is better for PWO obviously because they generally have quicker digesting carbs, but oats are good for meal replacement shakes.

Andy Gann 08-07-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bullock (Post 971676)

JP recommends 3 meals/3 shakes and a carb curfew of 2:00. 2 meals/1 shake before and 2 shakes/1 meal after. Oh - and one free day ...

I try to stay 50p/50c before 2 and then after I do low carb - veggies don't count. I've been supplementing with the cheap whey protein that you buy at walmart.

Here's what's been working for me:

6:30 am - 50p/50c - shake w/ milk, whey, frozen fruit
10:00 turkey sandich
1:00 lunch - ~50p/50c - meat and rice, 12 inch sub, etc ...
4:00 protein shake - 50p in water
7:00 evening meal - Usually meat and green veggies
10:00 protein shake - 50p in water

This is a basic recommendation from JP to me in order to get strong and lean. I've gone up 2 or 3 notches on my weight belt while the weight just keeps going up ...

Michael Bullock 08-08-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 971741)
Plain old Quaker or store brand quick oats. At Whole Foods I think they are about $.69 a pound. Let them soak in water for a few minutes and they're drinkable. A PWO blend is better for PWO obviously because they generally have quicker digesting carbs, but oats are good for meal replacement shakes.

I did this a few moments ago at work and it didn't quite turn out so well. I let the oats soak about 3 minutes in a cup of water and then threw them in my shaker cup with some protein. I got 'bite's of oats here n there but most of them were left over once the liquid was gone. Do you use a blender with yours?

Rebecca Roth 08-08-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Bullock (Post 972082)
I did this a few moments ago at work and it didn't quite turn out so well. I let the oats soak about 3 minutes in a cup of water and then threw them in my shaker cup with some protein. I got 'bite's of oats here n there but most of them were left over once the liquid was gone. Do you use a blender with yours?

Did you get quick oats or standard? If you get quick oats they should get pretty puffy and mushy just by soaking in the water, whereas standard oats would likely not change composition much from sitting in water for 3 minutes.

Eric Montgomery 08-08-2011 02:56 PM

You can blend them if you want, but as long as they're quick oats they should turn into a drinkable mush after a minute or so in a shaker bottle.